PDA

View Full Version : Conti tubular glue for carbon...

oldguy00
01-15-2011, 02:44 PM
I ended up with a couple of tubes of this (black color tube)...
How is it different from their regular glue? Any reason not to use it on an alloy rim??
I have a pair of 2011 Shamal Ultra tubies on the way.. :banana: :hello: :D

Uncle Jam's Army
01-15-2011, 04:01 PM
I have to say it is really bad. Don't know if it is any different than the regular Conti glue, but I used two tubes to glue up new tires to new carbon rims and I was able to dislodge the tires with not much pressure. Also, their instructions tell you to only use one coat on the rims and two on the base tape. I wound up having to re-glue all over again and this time I bought a tin of the stuff and slathered it on the rims and the base tape. Seems better now, but not optimal.

I should have stuck with Vittoria Mastik. I need a crow bar to remove the tires from the rim with that stuff.

regularguy412
01-15-2011, 05:31 PM
I have to say it is really bad. Don't know if it is any different than the regular Conti glue, but I used two tubes to glue up new tires to new carbon rims and I was able to dislodge the tires with not much pressure. Also, their instructions tell you to only use one coat on the rims and two on the base tape. I wound up having to re-glue all over again and this time I bought a tin of the stuff and slathered it on the rims and the base tape. Seems better now, but not optimal.

I should have stuck with Vittoria Mastik. I need a crow bar to remove the tires from the rim with that stuff.

I've used the Conti Carbon glue on my Eastons with Comp GP tires. It seemed to stick just as well as the regular Conti glue that I've used on my old Campy Record Crono rims. I do not use a huge amount of glue on the rims/tires, but I do make sure that the entire gluing surface is completely covered.

With carbon rims, it seems there is usually some mold release still left on the gluing surface. I've used naphtha and also used acetone to remove any residual 'greasy stuff'. I think this is key to getting good adhesion.

It may be important to note that some of what I may see as 'adhesion', is just the fact that the Conti Comps are just, themselves, tight on the rim.

Just my .02.

Mike in AR:beer:

R2D2
01-16-2011, 08:37 AM
Ive used both.
The carbon glue seems to be a little thicker. But I really don't know the difference. Never had a release problem on either.

oldpotatoe
01-16-2011, 08:39 AM
I ended up with a couple of tubes of this (black color tube)...
How is it different from their regular glue? Any reason not to use it on an alloy rim??
I have a pair of 2011 Shamal Ultra tubies on the way.. :banana: :hello: :D

Don't use it, it has been 'recalled', small 'r' recalled in that it doesn't work, chance of rolling a tire large. From my Conti rep.

regularguy412
01-16-2011, 09:37 AM
Don't use it, it has been 'recalled', small 'r' recalled in that it doesn't work, chance of rolling a tire large. From my Conti rep.

So, no issues with using the regular Conti glue on carbon rims? Also, is the traditional Conti glue 'compatible' with the carbon glue?

Thanks,

Z3c
01-16-2011, 10:05 AM

Yep, the U.S. dist. of Conti has stopped carrying the carbon glue..

No issues using the regular Conti on carbon.

R2D2
01-16-2011, 10:14 AM
+1.
Won't order the carbon glue amymore.

Uncle Jam's Army
01-16-2011, 10:53 AM
If I were to re-glue my tires with another glue, any issues with bonding or would it be prudent to strip the rims of the Conti carbon glue first?

01-16-2011, 12:20 PM
Different solvents. The carbon version is supposedly just an older version of the current Conti, one using volatile organic solvents rather than current aqueous ones. The solvent switch was mandated in Europe for environmental and worker health issues, but the older version was allowed for limited applications and Conti wanted to try it out. Conti isn't exactly a research institution -- they barely test anything and put it out there for sale. Tons of practical experience but they like to change products around more than most (note how often their tires change in one particular or another) and let the market be the guinea pig.

I would be a bit hesitant to say that the carbon and standard versions are compatible. This is a place where I'd seriously consider stripping off the old stuff. I don't think anyone has any real data on this (I certainly don't).

oldpotatoe
01-16-2011, 02:15 PM
So, no issues with using the regular Conti glue on carbon rims? Also, is the traditional Conti glue 'compatible' with the carbon glue?

Thanks,

No, none at all, been doing that for years. I never bought or used any of the 'carbon' glue..still had 'standard' glue so didn't need any. In the mean time, it was pulled..Conti doesn't sell it.

rphetteplace
01-17-2011, 01:05 PM

I don't see anything on their site, anybody have anything more concrete? I've got my Edge's glued with this stuff and have been very unimpressed.

Ryan

DRietz
01-17-2011, 06:11 PM
From what I've heard, Conti glue really isn't the best stuff out there.

Most of the tires I do are done with Vittoria Mastik, but I'm really unsure on this matter.

The "carbon" glue is probably just a gimmick.