PDA

View Full Version : Good Patches for Tube Repair

saab2000
02-03-2004, 07:55 AM
I am one of those guys who would rather patch a tube than replace it. I like to save money where I can and that seems to be an obvious place.

My gripe is that most patch kits come with a wide variety of patch sizes and most of them are, frankly, way too big for a road bike inner tube.

Most leaks are little pinhole type holes and do not require a huge patch.

I know this is a ridiculously trivial question, but has anyone got an idea where a rider can get good quality, small patches? I have tried cutting the large ones to use as small ones, but found that this results in problems. Also, my experience with Park glueless patches has generally been negative.

Anyone else out there with this issue, or am I the lone wierdo here who patches tubes?

Keith A
02-03-2004, 08:51 AM
I'm with you on this one on several points.

I too patch my tubes as it is indeed a way to save a few $'s. And most patch kits only have a couple of small patches and so I end up with a bunch of patches that are too big to use on my road tubes. I also haven't had much success with the Park glueless patches either and have given up on them.

I'd really like to find a place to buy just the 20mm round pathces, but haven't so far. However, I did see that Loose Screws has a box of 100 Rema 1" patches. These are a little bigger than the smallest ones, but close enough that I'm probably going to purchace one of these boxes soon. Check out this link (http://www.loosescrews.com/index.cgi?d=single&c=Tire/Tube&sc=Repair&tc=&item_id=RE-F1P&id=478154726755) for the details.

PaulE
02-03-2004, 12:07 PM
The patches were all the same small size in those road bike patch kits that come in a little plastic box, with the little tube of glue, chalk and sandpaper. My problem was the glue. I'd patch a tube, and the next time I went to patch a tube, the tube of glue would be all dried out. On the old forum someone once mentioned where to buy only the glue, but I never have enough time to do everything I'd like to do, so now I just use a new tube when I have a flat.

mfb1001
02-03-2004, 12:20 PM
I used to get those little patch kits from Performance for $2 and never had any problem w/the glue. Infact I've got glue that's 1 yr old and I'm still using it. They usually have 8 of the small patches, sandpaper, & glue in the case. mike

Kevin
02-03-2004, 06:17 PM
I like simplicity. I gave up on patches. They are way too much trouble. If you replace your tires when they still have some tread on them you don't get many flats. When you do get a flat, it is much easier to replace the tube and throw out the old tube at the next garbage can you pass.

Kevin

slowgoing
02-03-2004, 06:49 PM
I hate patching so I don't do it anymore. In with the new, out with the old.

bfd
02-03-2004, 07:25 PM
If you think the 1" (25mm) Rema patches are "too big", you'll probably want to get these 20mm ones:

http://www.biketoolsetc.com/index.cgi?id=74320774899&d=single&c=Tire%20Tube&sc=Repair%20Kits%20and%20Supplies&tc=Patches&item_id=IN-9028

On the road, when I get a flat, I usually change out my spare tube and keep riding. But on those once a year/every couple of years when I get 2, 3 or more flats on ONE RIDE, I'm glad to have my patch kit and can usually change it fairly quickly. I usually practice by patching the flatted tube when I'm at home, relaxing in front of the TV....

pbbob
02-03-2004, 08:29 PM
I save up all the flat tubes over a few month period then will patch them all in one day. this usually stands as an excuse to get out of some other household task for a while.

Kevan
02-03-2004, 08:38 PM
but for an instant patch I liked those sold as "Scabs".

Bruce K
02-04-2004, 04:51 AM
I'll second Kevan on the "Scabs" patches.

Quick, easy, fairly inexpensive and they hold up well too.

BK

Keith A
02-04-2004, 09:09 AM
Thanks BFD for the link to the patches. Unfortunately, they are currently out of stock.