PDA

View Full Version : OT: Ford Flex-bike carrying

sevencyclist
01-14-2011, 06:40 PM
We are in the process of looking for a car with carrying capacity of 7 passengers, but also would like to have capability to carry bikes inside when needed (not at the same time though). Ford Flex can carry up to 7 passengers. Does anyone have experience with bike carrying with Ford Flex? Thanks in advance.

Any other recommendation of cars that would do the above without eating up tons of gas? Unfortunately no minivan since my wife would never want to be seen in one.

eddief
01-14-2011, 06:50 PM
from the net: "With 269 hp, a RAV4 equipped with the available 3.5-liter V6 is quite fast and the most fuel-efficient six-cylinder SUV in its class. EPA mileage est. (cty/hwy): 19/27 mpg."

I test drove one once and could not find my socks when I was done.

Smiley
01-14-2011, 07:04 PM
The Flex is HUGE and has a refrigerator as a ice box. Its a great car as my Boss has one, bigger than my Edge :)

Fixed
01-14-2011, 07:10 PM
ford = First On Race Day
cheers bike racers car imho

AngryScientist
01-14-2011, 07:14 PM
ford = First On Race Day

effed on race day
found on road dead

go chevy!

sevencyclist
01-14-2011, 07:18 PM
from the net: "With 269 hp, a RAV4 equipped with the available 3.5-liter V6 is quite fast and the most fuel-efficient six-cylinder SUV in its class. EPA mileage est. (cty/hwy): 19/27 mpg."

I test drove one once and could not find my socks when I was done.
Unfortunately need to fit middleschooler who will be high schoolers in a few years in the third row, since grandparents are in the second row. So probably can't do RAV4.

johnnymossville
01-14-2011, 07:35 PM
Here's a pretty good review from a dog owners point of view. I think some of the info is great for cyclists.

http://www.cargodogs.com/2008/09/ford-flex-2009.htm

Been researching this vehicle for awhile myself.

There's a heck of a lot of room back there for bikes, (Can't stand one up though with wheels on. haha)

No minivan for you?

Blue Jays
01-14-2011, 08:18 PM
Looking forward to this review and owner feedback. Ford Flex strikes me as a great vehicle for cyclists.
Just a couple fork clamps bolted into lumber should do the trick to secure the bikes and provide plenty of space for luggage and friends.

Ralph
01-14-2011, 08:25 PM
Maybe you can get some specs somewhere. I ride a 56 CM frame with seat out a normal amount, and need about 37" from floor to roof (36" will do) to roll my bike in backwards with front wheel out. Then attach it to a fork mount on board on floor.

My Element has about 40" in that measurement (42" inside from floor to roof), but it's purpose in our family is just to get me around and haul stuff like bikes and going to HD. It's no good for family use, it's not our family hauler, it doesn't have the gadgets my family likes, built cheap, costs cheap, etc. It's just my truck. Although as a plug for Elements for those who don't have your needs, it does get 22-23 around town and 26-28 on hwy.

Good luck finding something that makes a good family hauler, has that 40" high opening, etc. I don't think a Flex has enough roof height for my use. But they sure are nice. Check out the new 2011-2012 Ford Explorer. A completely new Explorer. 3 rows of seating. It's even nicer than a Flex in some models. I've had Explorers in the past with about 36" of roof height. Would hold bikes upright. Don't know about this new one. http://www.ford.com/suvs/explorer/
Can't wait to measure one.

Unfortunately....I think a nice mini van is what you need. They have the high opening in rear, have the seating you need, and they configure all kinds of ways. They even get decent fuel economy. Show your wife one with all the gadgets, maybe she'll change her mind. Promise her a sporty car if she will relent.

BTW....RE Ford products. if you don't have access to X Plan pricing, go to Blue Oval News (.com) and have one of the Ford employees sponser you for X Plan. It's about invoice with no haggle pricing. Just order your vehicle, or pick one off the lot, at X plan pricing, and settle up. Every deal monitored by Ford to make sure price is correct, no added fees, no advertising fees, etc, and is a nice no stress way to buy a vehicle.

jeo99
01-14-2011, 10:05 PM
ford = First On Race Day

Funny, thought that was Fix Or Repair Daily

:beer:

dmurphey
01-14-2011, 10:14 PM
Look at a Honda Odyssey Van it can do 7 passengers better than a big SUV, and it can do 3 adults with 3 bikes rolled in the back with wheels on and all your junk, and you can change shoes sitting comfortably. Hard to beat in my book.

Blue Jays
01-14-2011, 10:23 PM
Have taken cycling vacations with friends who owned a Honda Odyssey van and it is indeed a VERY comfortable vehicle.
They are especially nice with captain chair seating in second row....although that might pinch the 7-passenger requirement a bit.
Looking for interior Ford Flex photographs that might show stored bicycles in back.

jeo99
01-14-2011, 10:34 PM
I had a Chevy Venture van that would hold 5-people and five bikes inside the back. I ride a 60cm bike and the bike(with the front wheel removed) fit nicely up right. If we traveled longer, I simple put the gear in the back and the bike on the roof rack. No longer made! I now keep a Buick Rendezvous that can hold the same amount of bikes in the back. Just not the previous seating. Again no longer made!

:beer:

GuyGadois
01-15-2011, 12:36 AM
We own a Flex and I am able to get my 60cm bike in the back with the rear seats up. I take off both wheels and it fits fine sideways with wheels right next to it. Snug but it fits fine. I usually just use my hitch bike carrier.

GG