PDA

View Full Version : OT-Ford Flex

TAW
01-13-2011, 09:15 AM
Anybody got one? Anyone willing to admit they got one? I've been looking at some vehicles, and I loved it on the inside. Lots of room, rides/drives good, comfortable. Just not sure I can get past the "station wagon" look. Will I look like Herman Munster driving one? What do you think of them?

AngryScientist
01-13-2011, 09:20 AM
they just look so enormous to me. i would likely NEVER buy a ford product, but if i had to, i'd get one of these instead: (transit connect)

i am hoping with the rising gas prices, more manufacturers will bring smaller vans like this one to the US, in addition to my commuter car, i have a "work truck", and its ageing, when that goes, i would like to look into a nice small work van.

http://www.thefordstory.com/assets/182/?w=519&h=315

Ken Robb
01-13-2011, 09:28 AM
Leslie and I rented one a few years ago when we visited DBRK. I was pleasantly surprised how well it drove and what good mileage we got considering its carrying capacity. It would be on my list if I needed to carry a bunch of people and/or stuff. Better in every way for normal gentle road use than the Suburbans I have driven. Off-road a 4x4 Suburban would look really good. I also rented a Ford Fusion and it was a fine car too and it uses similar drive train parts.

I think the Flex looks purposeful. No swoopy lines that reduce capacity.

johnnymossville
01-13-2011, 09:46 AM
Angry Scientist brings up a good alternative that I've been thinking about myself. I've driven both.

The Flex is far more refined overall and is a more comfortable ride. But for the price and utility the Transit Connect is hard to beat. I drove both and neither one would be a bad choice for someone wanting to haul bikes.

One nice thing about the Flex if you like roof racks is that it's WAYYYY lower than the Transit connect. I checked the specs awhile ago and I think it's about 12" lower than the Transit Connect. The Flex is lower than pretty much any SUV so loading bikes on top would be easy.

On the other hand. the height inside the Transit Connect is really nice for hauling stuff inside.

The Flex is based on a revised Volvo platform while the Transit Connect is based on the older Focus Platform. Both are good.

I'm leaning Transit Connect myself. mostly because of the price.

Steve in SLO
01-13-2011, 09:59 AM
I know several families with the Flex and all love them. I rode in one last week and thought it was nicely laid out. It had a vaguely truck-like ride. Not bad, but not super-smooth, either.
I sure hope they come up with turbodiesel option for the Transit. Great mileage and good power at elevation would make it a great option for an outdoor enthusiast.

veloduffer
01-13-2011, 10:12 AM
I checked out the Flex when we thought about replacing our Sienna minivan with something that had AWD for the winter. Definitely a contender. I think Ford has stepped up on the interiors to luxury levels and overall quality. I think the improvements are largely due to the CEO Mullally, who was at Boeing and outsider to the automotive industry. I remember reading an interview where he was trying to change the company's mentality about quality - poor quality in an aircraft could lead to catastrophic results, so why should the automotive industry think otherwise (catastrophe = lower sales & market share).

The Flex is much lower than a minivan and SUV, so easier to get in & out, and use a roof rack. Very roomy inside compared to similar vehicles.

In the end, we kept the Sienna and put snow tires on it this year to see how it manages the NJ winter. Our mileage on the Sienna is low, so I am not eager to get a new car. But if so, I would decide between the Flex and Chevy Traverse, and this is from a guy that has never owned an American car (previous was Saab, Mazda, VW, Honda, Subaru, Toyota). I test drove both of these vehicles and came away impressed.

damcyclist
01-13-2011, 10:55 AM
Mini-MiniVans look like they may meet the utility+economy that was missed by the Element & other box on wheels - but the jury is still out

Mini-Minivan (http://www.caranddriver.com/news/car/10q4/2012_ford_c-max_official_photos_and_info-auto_shows)

Maybe not as cool as an SUV but way better when $4 gas hits.

97CSI
01-13-2011, 12:26 PM
i would likely NEVER buy a ford productSad that you would not purchase one of the best made vehicles in the world just because it is made in the U.S.

Are the new Explorers and Edge on the market? They both get 27MPG+ and are less 'station wagon' looking. Feel sure the Flex is fine, but I'm holding out for the new Focus or Cruze wagon/hatchback.

AngryScientist
01-13-2011, 12:30 PM
Sad that you would not purchase one of the best made vehicles in the world just because it is made in the U.S.

lol, NOT the reason.

growing up, my best friend and i had the classic ford/chevy rivalry. i was a camaro guy, he was a mustang guy. those roots run deep brother, deep. logical or not, no ford's in this family :D

i have a small chevy s-10 pick-up with a billion miles on it, love it. no problems with american cars here.

veloduffer
01-13-2011, 12:30 PM
Sad that you would not purchase one of the best made vehicles in the world just because it is made in the U.S.

Are the new Explorers and Edge on the market? They both get 27MPG+ and are less 'station wagon' looking. Feel sure the Flex is fine, but I'm holding out for the new Focus or Cruze wagon/hatchback.

I was thinking about the new Explorer too but it was just recently launched. From what I've read, however, the Explorer is 3" wider than the Flex but it doesn't translate into a roomier interior. But the EcoBoost engines are a plus.

TAW
01-13-2011, 12:47 PM
I currently have an Explorer, but the gas mileage is not as good as the Flex or the Edge. I like the Edge, but am concerned that the back cargo space is not big enough. When we go on family trips we take luggage, golf bags and lots of junk, so we need something with cargo room in the back. The Flex works well with the rear seats folded down.

ahumblecycler
01-13-2011, 01:42 PM
And when we go racing this year? ;)

I too prefer the Edge, but I do not have the family to consider like you do.

Keith A
01-13-2011, 01:53 PM
Mini-MiniVans look like they may meet the utility+economy that was missed by the Element & other box on wheels - but the jury is still out

Mini-Minivan (http://www.caranddriver.com/news/car/10q4/2012_ford_c-max_official_photos_and_info-auto_shows)

Maybe not as cool as an SUV but way better when $4 gas hits.I'm really looking forward to checking out Ford's new C-Max. I have been reading about this for a while and if it turns out to be as good as the reviews, this maybe my next vehicle.

GuyGadois
01-13-2011, 02:01 PM
We have one and love it. My in-laws own a Ford dealership so my wife's options are limited (I drive German). We owned a number of Explorers over the last 15 or so years and finally changed with the purchase of the Flex. The car rocks. It is the ultimate cruiser. We bought a one year used company exec car so it has every bell and whistle on it except the battery plug-in option (Minnesotians know what that is). The car is by far more comfortable than any of our Explorers although the new Explorer looks better than the previous (more of a crossover now than an SUV). I can't think of any car I would rather take on a road trip then the Flex. The seats are comfy, sun roof goes from front to back, the fridge is key with kids, getting into the back row (3rd) is easier then any other car/truck I've owned, the back seats move forward and backwards and have tons of leg room. Surprisingly, the technology of the Microsoft Sync system is better then my BMW. I have always despised the cheap interiors of Ford but this car has a great interior. One bummer is that it doesn't offer a bike rack on top because of the glass sunroof. I purchased the trailer hitch Yakima.

We have the AWD version and will be heading to the snow soon so I can't speak to that.

Overall, we LOVE the Flex.

Gadois

pjm
01-13-2011, 02:47 PM

The new Explorer is out, here's C&D's review....
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/car/10q4/2011_ford_explorer_limited_4wd-road_test
18 mpg in their testing. Mmm...not so good.

I'm waiting for the Focus, too. Ford is really dragging its feet on those. Supposedly, Chevy will not be offering the hatchback Cruze in its homeland. I wouldn't buy a car with such a dopey name anyway.

johnnymossville
01-13-2011, 02:51 PM
LOL Angry Scientist. I knew it had to be something along those lines. The battle of Ford vs. Chevy "Runs Deep" to steal the new GM advertising tag line.

TAW
01-15-2011, 11:15 AM
Thanks for the responses. I have a GMC and a Ford, so it comes down to either the Flex or a Chevy Traverse.