PDA

View Full Version : PSA: North Carolina Crowd

R2D2
01-13-2011, 07:27 AM
THE NCDOT is taking a survey in attempt to increase cycling/walking safety.
Make your views known.

http://www.ncdot.gov/bikeped/

Unfotunately these things always seem to invlove a lot of study but no real action.
But we can try.

jvp
01-13-2011, 07:48 AM
submitted mine, I didn't like how some of the questions were phrased, like the ones forcing me to choose my cycling preference between commuting/errands or recreational. I have no preference between those, I like them both equally, it's all cycling to me!

protege55
01-13-2011, 08:25 AM
done and done...just hope they listen. funding will be fun as well...

jbtaylor
01-13-2011, 03:57 PM
Done. :rolleyes:

Pete Serotta
01-13-2011, 04:34 PM
DONE!!! Pete

FlashUNC
01-13-2011, 04:38 PM
Done

learlove
01-13-2011, 05:18 PM
Done - as a past and (most likely) future NC resident (Gastonia) I hope to see all road with bike lanes down there.

haneriali
01-13-2011, 10:03 PM
completed; thanks for the heads-up.

R2D2
01-14-2011, 05:23 AM
Done - as a past and (most likely) future NC resident (Gastonia) I hope to see all road with bike lanes down there.

Well look us up when you get to Gastonia.
They gave up on bike lanes there as the paint washes off the dirt roads.
Anyway NC is a very nice place for riding. It has anything you want.
But remember it is NC and not PA. But my wife is from PA so come on over for some Taylor pork roll. I'll stick to my country ham. They almost taste the same.

BumbleBeeDave
01-14-2011, 08:30 AM
. . . and we went on several rides. I was very surprised to see how many roads in and near Raleigh had NO shoulders whatsoever--I mean not even a gravel strip. Run off the pavement and your front wheel immediately digs into sandy dirt. :eek: :crap:

Ouch! Is it that way all over the state? :(

BBD

justinf
01-14-2011, 08:58 AM
No.

drewski
01-14-2011, 10:04 AM
Well look us up when you get to Gastonia.
They gave up on bike lanes there as the paint washes off the dirt roads.
Anyway NC is a very nice place for riding. It has anything you want.
But remember it is NC and not PA. But my wife is from PA so come on over for some Taylor pork roll. I'll stick to my country ham. They almost taste the same.

The Mecklenburg County Charlotte City council just passed a law requiring builders to include cycling and pedestrains in all future new road installations.
Hopefully this will stick. I wonder how the builders will be held to account.

kestrel
01-14-2011, 02:57 PM
done, thanks for the heads up!

FlashUNC
01-14-2011, 03:35 PM
. . . and we went on several rides. I was very surprised to see how many roads in and near Raleigh had NO shoulders whatsoever--I mean not even a gravel strip. Run off the pavement and your front wheel immediately digs into sandy dirt. :eek: :crap:

Ouch! Is it that way all over the state? :(

BBD

Depends on where you are, and its largely a crapshoot. Some rural country roads have nice shoulders, others have a nice couple inch drop off into gravel and whatnot.

pitcrew
01-14-2011, 03:45 PM
Done!

michael white
01-14-2011, 05:36 PM
thanks for the link. did it.

here in Wilmington, we have wonderful weather for cycling but the infrastructure is way behind and will never catch up. Lately they're putting in some paths, which is nice but not particularly relevant for more serious cyclists. Today I was riding on a major road as I have for 16 years, and just as for 16 years was forced into a lane of heavy traffic at a point where the tiny shoulder disappears arbitrarily. As often before, I had to bite the bullet and go off road because the cars weren't yielding, but it didn't ruin my day. I don't think these issues will ever be intelligently addressed. Not here. To do that would require thought, planning, and concerted action by committees, raising revenue/taxes, etc, and this just isn't that sort of progressive place to do that sort of thing. So it'll remain more or less as is, and I'll remain one of the few cyclists on clogged roads built by and for people who don't believe I really have to right to bike on the road . . . till the day I die. Cheers.