PDA

View Full Version : Winwood forks

thinpin
01-12-2011, 06:50 PM
Looking to get a carbon 1" fork. Winwood crop up every now and then but I dont know much about them. Any ridden them or any experience of them.

eddief
01-12-2011, 07:44 PM
and look a lot like every other carbon fork. your question is a good one and i leave the answer to those who believe/know they can tell/feel the difference between one carbon fork and the other and the other.

roydyates
01-12-2011, 08:26 PM
and look a lot like every other carbon fork. your question is a good one and i leave the answer to those who believe/know they can tell/feel the difference between one carbon fork and the other and the other.

Eddief kinda sums it up. I have a bike that is using the 1 inch nashbar carbon which is either a relabeled winwood fork or is simply the spiritual equivalent, a really low cost carbon fork with aluminum steerer. In fact, the cost is so low, you think this can't be any good. However, my experience is that it has been perfectly fine, although sometimes one some surfaces I ponder whether my other bike with the old F-1 or another bike with an old steel fork would feel a little better on this bit of road. The more I ride, the more I think these small differences in sensation actually matter, but maybe I'm just drinking the koolaid. On the other hand, I keep my eye on the forum classifieds for 1 inch forks.

eddief
01-12-2011, 08:36 PM
that differently formulated layups and other variables that might go into a good carbon fork. a question might be, if you have the basic resources to manufacture a carbon fork, would you not make a damn good one? in other words, if you consider how Edge make theirs and how Winwood makes theirs, are there dramatic shortcuts one could/would make or is the basic process the same no matter which fork we are speaking of?

now i know an all carbon will be lighter than one with an alloy steerer, but what about all the other variables? same, same?

jeo99
01-12-2011, 09:03 PM
I rode a 1" Winwood for years on a Serotta Ti CX and never had any issues. It was somewhat heavier but I think that was a good thing for a 6'2" 210 pounder.

:beer:

roydyates
01-12-2011, 10:24 PM
I rode a 1" Winwood for years on a Serotta Ti CX and never had any issues. It was somewhat heavier but I think that was a good thing for a 6'2" 210 pounder.

:beer:
Funny but I'm riding a 1" nashbar fork on a Serotta CX and never have any issues. It is somewhat heavier but I think that's a good thing for a 6'2" 210 pounder. (I was a 200 pounder last summer and a 205 pounder last fall, but I suppose that's probably not the fork's fault.)

Seriously, I bought a nice steel CX bike on the forum last summer and it came with a marvelously springy steel fork. The ride was awesome except the canti braking on a steep descent occasionally induced a a very scary fork oscillation. No amount of adjustment of the Paul cantis solved the problem and the fork didn't allow me to try a fork mount cable stop. Whatever its inadequacies, the nashbar fork solved the problem, probably just because it's better for my weight. However, its kinda ugly and I would really like to get a steel fork that works for my size.

thinpin
01-12-2011, 11:37 PM
I might require something for an incoming ti merckx ex. It currently has a steel fork but depending on how it rides I might swap it out. Im not adverse to steel forks at all and would prefer a good steel over a poor carbon. The bike will very likely be used in the hills with long fast descents. Ive ridden some dead things in the past and dont wish to repeat the experiece. Not much left in the way of threaded steerer on carbon legs these days. But sometimes these companies have been making excellent forks for others and then manufacture under there own label and make a very good product.

eddief
01-12-2011, 11:49 PM
http://www.woundupcomposites.com/specs.html

$325

thinpin
01-13-2011, 12:21 AM
http://www.woundupcomposites.com/specs.html

$325
If beauty is in the eye of the behold my eyes see no beauty here. ;) Though a friend who uses them sing their praises.