I use Conti Sprinters and all my rides are training rides

oldpotatoe
01-12-2011, 06:50 PM
here goes open can of worms
how many cats use tubulars wheels on your training rides
i have some gl330's i want to use
what tires do you cats use ?
cheers

First as a guy who's .6 offa century, I don't 'train', I ride and I use tubies everyday that's dry. Conti Sprinters. I see NO compelling reason to use clinchers. Campagnolo Omega rims.

Signed-old fart bikie rider who likes steel.

Fixed
01-12-2011, 07:01 PM
i am not far behind you but when i ride my bike i feel like a kid again
thanks for your insight and knowledgeable post
cheers imho

bicycletricycle
01-12-2011, 07:02 PM
i like tufo s33 for non super race tubulars, they are durable and ride pretty good, at least as good as really good clinchers imho

PaulE
01-12-2011, 07:55 PM
I'm going to build myself some tubular wheels over the winter and try either Vittoria Rally tubulars or these 3 for $50 Servizio Corsa (http://www.yellowjersey.org/ttn.html) tubulars from www.yellowjersey.org.

I don't have a golden @ss and can't tell the difference between various clinchers I've used. If I decide I like tubulars and feel comfortable gluing them on, I may move to more expensive ones. But I think these will be good enough for me to start out with. And if I mess up the gluing so badly I have to throw away the tire or get a flat the first time I ride them, it won't be the end of the world.

Fixed
01-12-2011, 08:18 PM
that looks like a cool store
cheers

btulloch
01-12-2011, 08:38 PM
What gluing method do you use for everyday tubulars?

Im probably a bit paranoid when it comes to gluing, but I started with tubulars for cyclocross racing where the lower tire pressure would make the tire more susceptible to rolling, so I used the "belgian way" (3x tire, 3x rim +1 during mounting) and have never rolled a tire... but when I take these tires off at the end of the season it's f*cking impossible to get them off, I couldn't imagine having to change one on the road if I got a puncture.

Do you use a different method of gluing for when you're going out training? On your spare tire (I heard PitStop etc are not always reliable) do you put any glue beforehand?

TMB
01-12-2011, 08:41 PM
I do.

Different tires, currently have

Tufo Elite Ride 25's
Schwalbe stelvios
Vittoria pave's
Challenge Strada

Etc.

Fixed
01-12-2011, 08:42 PM
call wife
bring :beer:
cheers :)

Ralph
01-12-2011, 08:51 PM
I like tubulars also. I like how easy it is to change one on side of the road (for just riding, there is usually enough glue on rim to keep tire in place until I get home). I don't mind gluing them on in my garage when I wish. I like not having to wrestle tight fitting clinchers over rims. I ilike how they ride. I like how you can build a very light strong wheel with tubulars. My first serious bike in early 70's came with Fiamme Yellow tubular rims. You will like them.

I would ride them now except I can't justify the extra cost for the minor, if any, performance improvement.

rbtmcardle
01-12-2011, 09:20 PM
I ride tubulars on the road exclusively now, except on the commuter / rain / city tank ...err.. I mean bike.. Veloflex carbons are the only tires i own. sure they are expensive, but the ride is sublime.. I figure i dont have many vices in my life except campy and carbons. Ergott built 240s / Velocity Escape for the Spectrum and Shamals for the meivici.

mister
01-12-2011, 10:19 PM
i've got tubs on everything now.
fmb paris roubaix glued to old label gp4 on the all around bike...which i commute on. stay on the clean roads and it's fine.

got conti steher on the road bike, no problems with them either. those rims are ambrosio f20.

sprinters on the track bike.

got an extra sprinter or two.
the regular sprinters i've had better luck with than the gatorskin sprinters.

probably going to get some conti competition next...

happycampyer
01-12-2011, 10:23 PM
Another fan of the Veloflex Carbons here. If you're looking for a supple, smooth-riding racing (i.e., skinny) tire, the Carbons are a top choice. Another tire that I have been riding a lot is the 25mm version of the new 320tpi Vittoria Open Corsa CX's. The extra volume makes for a very cushy ride with lots of grip, and they don't feel heavier like some of the larger volume, Paris-Roubaix style tires (FMB, Dugast, etc., which are great for rougher roads/gravel).

nathbdp
01-12-2011, 10:31 PM
My road bike (training + racing) has a set of Velocity Escapes laced to Dura Ace hubs. Wouldn't go back to clinchers unless I'm doing a long credit card tour.

I ran Veloflex Carbons front and rear, but the rear wore out pretty quickly so now I run a Carbon on the front and a Conti Competition on the rear.

zmudshark
01-12-2011, 10:41 PM
Conti Sprinters, but Conti Competitions are nicer, though pricey these days. I also have some Veloflex Criteriums that are really nice, but Sprinters are the everyday tire.

scrubadub
01-12-2011, 11:48 PM
I'm going to build myself some tubular wheels over the winter and try either Vittoria Rally tubulars or these 3 for $50 Servizio Corsa (http://www.yellowjersey.org/ttn.html) tubulars from www.yellowjersey.org.

I don't have a golden @ss and can't tell the difference between various clinchers I've used. If I decide I like tubulars and feel comfortable gluing them on, I may move to more expensive ones. But I think these will be good enough for me to start out with. And if I mess up the gluing so badly I have to throw away the tire or get a flat the first time I ride them, it won't be the end of the world.

Uggh. I have a set of the Yellow Jersey tires. They rode okay but they were not even all the way around and the bump annoyed me (however minor). I use them as spares now.

I ride Veloflex Criterium 23s on my near-daily rider and love them. I've been riding Conti Grand Prix tubulars as well recently and they're nice too. My next bike will be shod in FMB P-R 700x28s. Can't wait. I will have to try the Vittorias that everyone is raving about at some point. But my wallet is still hurting from the FMBs.

jeffreyt
01-13-2011, 06:07 AM
As an everyday tubular, I'm using Challenge Paris-Roubaix that were taped on with Tufo extreme. The Paris-Roubaix is listed as 25's but really measure out to be something around 27. They're heavy, durable, good riding, and fairly puncture resistant.

BdaGhisallo
01-13-2011, 07:03 AM
I am running Vittoria Pave CX tubs in the 24mm width and they are great for this time of year. Don't waste money on cheap tubs. Buy the best you can afford. If you're worried about puncturing pricey tubs, squirt some Stan's in there for extra piece of mind.

For those of you running Conti Competitions, I have been drawn to them repeatedly over the years but have always been disappointed by how difficult they were to stretch onto a rim. By comparison, Vittoria and Veloflex go on a heck of a lot easier. Is that still the case with the Contis? If so, any suggestions for making it easier?

R2D2
01-13-2011, 07:18 AM
Conti Competions in 25mm or GP4000.
They are a little more $ but they have held up so far.

regularguy412
01-13-2011, 07:23 AM
---snipped--

For those of you running Conti Competitions, I have been drawn to them repeatedly over the years but have always been disappointed by how difficult they were to stretch onto a rim. By comparison, Vittoria and Veloflex go on a heck of a lot easier. Is that still the case with the Contis? If so, any suggestions for making it easier?

Yes. They are still tight on a rim. The best trick I've found is to (of course) pre-stretch on a rim. When ready to put onto the glued rim, make sure the tire is a little bit warm. In winter, I put the tire/stretching rim near a heat vent for a few minutes. This helps.

I prefer them to be tight when installed. For me, it's a little more confidence when diving into a downhill turn.

Mike in AR:beer:

R2D2
01-13-2011, 07:39 AM
I am running Vittoria Pave CX tubs in the 24mm width and they are great for this time of year. Don't waste money on cheap tubs. Buy the best you can afford. If you're worried about puncturing pricey tubs, squirt some Stan's in there for extra piece of mind.

Competitions always seem tight. I soak in water to wet base tape. Strecth on rim and pump up to 145. Let them sit a day or two. Even then they are tighter than most. I follow Conti's glueing instructions and mount with a wet layer of glue. The I can move them about. Also with Competitons is really important to start strecthing on both sides at the valve as you mount. And continually stretch as you mount down to the bottom. IF still too tight on bottom start over and strech mo' harder. They are the hardest to mount in my opinion. Maybe the butyl tube has something to do with it?

sjauch2
01-13-2011, 08:20 AM
I'm riding Dugast Paris-Roubaix 27's on Nemesis rims for everything. I have a 2nd set of wheels that I'm going to mount either Vittoria Pave 24's or Challenge Strada 24's for smooth road rides and save the PR's for dirt rides.

For glue, I'm using Conti glue and apply 2 coat on the tire and 2 on the rim. Seems to be good for my riding style.

Gluing and installing the tires wasn't as bad as I thought it was. From everything I read it seemed like is was this huge job. I kind of enjoy doing it now.

luv2bike
01-13-2011, 08:28 AM
Hi,
I use Vittoria Evo CX daily in a 25mm size. The ride is outstanding. I have had one flat in the last couple of years and a can of Vittoria Pit Stop along with a follow up shot of CO2 fixed that up in about 3 min.
I am still riding that tire after 6 months.
I do have another bike with Mich PR3's. No question the tubulars ride nicer.

Z3c
01-13-2011, 08:51 AM
I have not ridden a road clincher in at least 10 years.. I have used a variety of tuby tires in that time, the most being Vittoria Corsa CX's.. I am riding some Conti GP K4's now which are the first Conti's in a long time.. I like them and they seem pretty durable. I also recommend the Specialized tuby tire; I have used a bunch of them and like the ride quality.

As to gluing and being able to remove roadside, I don't follow a 12 step gluing process. I apply a thin, consistent layer to the rim and the tire, let both dry for about 10 mins and slap them together. Lots of folks will tell you I am crazy but it has always worked for me. IMHO, the key is to make sure that you get glue on as much of the surface area of the rim as possible.

Stretching the tire is key; you can use a clincher rims for this; I have accumulated a few and keep a tire or 2 ready to go. Bike shops routinely toss out rims that are cracked etc..

Remember Tire Alert for when you have a flat on a fairly new tire. They do good work.

I have been putting Stan's in my tuby's for a few years now and it seems to help..

Enjoy!