PDA

View Full Version : c'mon NJ, license plates for bicycles-???

AngryScientist
01-12-2011, 03:28 PM
http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/2010/Bills/A4000/3657_I1.HTM

apparently someone in NJ is pushing to have all bicycles registered and displaying MOTORCYCLE License Plates! where the **** am i going to put a motorcycle license plate on my bike.

i'm writing my congressman, really, i sincerely hope this thing gets squashed.

troymac
01-12-2011, 03:32 PM
Just sounds like another revenue grab. Not going to get political , but can they just spend less money.

ti_boi
01-12-2011, 03:35 PM
Absurd. But then look at the 'state of the state'....lock in three....two... :beer:

Frankwurst
01-12-2011, 03:37 PM
Years ago, 1973 to be exact, when I lived in Milwaukee it was required by the city to have a license plate on your bike. I still have one that I hung onto for no particular reason. :beer:

AngryScientist
01-12-2011, 03:38 PM
hey, this is absolutely ON TOPIC, imho.

forget Ti bottle cages when you have to hang a stinking license plate off the bike! Nooooooooooo. :crap:

veloduffer
01-12-2011, 03:41 PM
This is actually a conspiracy between NJ legislature and bicycle accessory mfrs to get all of us to buy new seat bags. NJ will not only benefit from whatever fee they impose but reap the proceeds from sales taxes. Next, they will be putting fluoride in the water. Very dangerous, indeed. :crap:

Of course, the air drag is going to absolutely kill my personal times.

On the positive side, I can accessorize with a neon light license plate holder. :p

Ahneida Ride
01-12-2011, 03:43 PM
It's all about frns ... always follow the frn to the truth

Big brother will do anything to accumulate more frns.

congress has the Incredible Preserve to type #'s into spreadsheet for it.
so congress can get all the frns it needs.

states can't do that.

so ... in the interest of protecting your safety....
aint' is always sold for your protection ....

We must register bikes and don't forget about the bike license !
and the disposable fee when you throw away bike tires ..
and bikes will need to be inspected too.

nahtnoj
01-12-2011, 03:44 PM
number plate hangers might make a comeback

veloduffer
01-12-2011, 03:46 PM
Considering how fast bikes are sold around here :rolleyes: , does the license travel with the bike or stays with the rider? Are scooters, unicycles, trikes and recumbents excluded? Geez, it's getting complicated already. More money for the lawyers. :bike:

fiamme red
01-12-2011, 03:46 PM
Don't worry. It won't happen.

gdw
01-12-2011, 03:56 PM
Sorry but it makes sense. If you want to ride the roads and have the same rights as motor vehicle operators than you should be required to have a valid license, registration, and insurance..... :banana:

rdparadise
01-12-2011, 04:01 PM
This is coming out of an issue in Philly last year where somebody riding their bicycle on the sidewalk ran over and actually killed a pedestrian. Yes, killed a pedestrian.

It will never fly in the legislature here in NJ IMHO.

Bob

rdparadise
01-12-2011, 04:03 PM
We're so old fashion here in Jersey, we still pump your gas and require front license plates on vehicles. :bike:

Bob

jischr
01-12-2011, 04:08 PM
People in Missouri promote license plates on bicycles as a means of equalizing road use costs. All those dang bikes wearing the road down and they don't even pay any taxes like motor vehicle owners. The number of folks who only ride a bike and don't own cars is probably less than 0.00000...well, pretty darn low. I pay title and taxes on four cars and a motorcycle, plus the taxes on the gasoline they use. I probably contribute more money to Missouri road repair than many of those who call for licensing bicycles.

The other tack is to licesnse the bicycle operator to ensure they know how to ride on a road. What do you do with the tweens trying to get to their friends house?

Both options would generate some money but neither would signifiicantly improve bicycle/car safety.

97CSI
01-12-2011, 04:13 PM
http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/2010/Bills/A4000/3657_I1.HTM

apparently someone in NJ is pushing to have all bicycles registered and displaying MOTORCYCLE License Plates! where the **** am i going to put a motorcycle license plate on my bike.

i'm writing my congressman, really, i sincerely hope this thing gets squashed.We had better get busy writing our congress folks or we will just become another 'revenue source' for our tax-crazy bureaucrats.

johnnymossville
01-12-2011, 04:29 PM
I wanna say It'll never happen, but then the bill is sponsored by a woman named Cleopatra so I wouldn't underestimate her. hehe

I still have a brother in NJ and he has a gaggle of kids. Licensing all of them and their bikes would cost a small fortune.

ergott
01-12-2011, 04:32 PM
Sorry but it makes sense. If you want to ride the roads and have the same rights as motor vehicle operators than you should be required to have a valid license, registration, and insurance..... :banana:

So then I will get to ride in the center of the lane around town and if there is a double-yellow to my left a car cannot pass. Yeah, right (I mean left). :crap:

miguel
01-12-2011, 04:36 PM
GFTL (go fast turn left)
PHTL (pedal hard turn left)
LUGZ
FRED
CRA BON

kind of want

PaulE
01-12-2011, 04:55 PM
I would hope that the license plate will be smaller than a motorcycle plate. The draft law only says it has to be displayed in the same manner as a motorcycle plate. The draft law does say that:

The chief administrator shall have the authority to promulgate rules and regulations pursuant to the "Administrative Procedure Act," P.L.1968, c.410 (C.52:14B-1 et seq.) to effectuate the purposes of this act.

Wait till he/she says that all bikes have to have reflectors on the pedals, wheels, seatpost and handlebars, even if you don't ride at dawn, dusk or night. Of course if you do ride at night, those things and lights are good to have. But how many of us only ride in daylight and don't want any of those things on our bikes?

Out of state riders will still be able to ride in our great state of New Jersey without a license plate, provided they are in compliance with the bike registration requirements of their home state!

TMB
01-12-2011, 04:56 PM
We had those when I was kid growing up in Alberta.

Hung it off the back of the saddle of my red and white CCM coaster.

The more things change ...

BCS
01-12-2011, 04:59 PM
Next week, Cleopatra will propose that the Port Authority will monitor the George Washington Bridge for New York City cyclists heading to route 9-W without a license. What a joke local government has become.

Ahneida Ride
01-12-2011, 05:11 PM
Just Local Government ? :crap:

Fixed
01-12-2011, 05:12 PM
let the bad cats go and concentrate on those cyclist what a mess
cheers imho

miguel
01-12-2011, 05:15 PM
i would be more than happy to register as long as i get bike lanes, locking stations(staples/racks/etc) and provisions for safer bike infrastructure (safe distance passing law/etc).

Fixed
01-12-2011, 05:20 PM
i would be more than happy to register as long as i get bike lanes, locking stations(staples/racks/etc) and provisions for safer bike infrastructure (safe distance passing law/etc).
bro your live in pland you have that don't you, isn't it bike mecca ?
cheers imho

miguel
01-12-2011, 05:42 PM
if i remember correct, one of the rural representatives tried to get bikes to register for licenses and it fell through.

yes, portland has TONS of GREAT bike infrastructure (bike lanes, parking, etc) but there are still idiots (bikes and cars) that don't know what is right.

now look, i commute like a fred with a $2500 bike, neon yellow jacket, $60 bike light(front and rear) and i was hit about a month and a half ago because someone didn't signal as they turned into bike lane. bike squashed, stitches in face, etc (btw, any lawyers out there for a free consultation?).

Fixed
01-12-2011, 05:50 PM
there is a real nice cat out there and is a great rider he goes to bend all the time i think his name is chris rides with team oregon.cheers

http://forums.thepaceline.net/member.php?u=504
bingo

Iceman
01-12-2011, 05:58 PM
If you have not guessed it by now, we as cyclists are a small unwanted minority in this country. Nothing surprises me anymore. In my heathen village the local community coucil is trying to push through a rule that if "any accident happens between a bike and car, on the bike trail, it is always the fault of the cyclist". We call it open season.

Try to get trails built in your community? Good luck. Try, and all of a sudden every sidewalk becomes a part of the trail system. Yet in the downtown area the rule is, only legal in the car lanes. Curbs, parked up on both sides of the streets, no one with a brain rides in those lanes, so.....as far as I see it, bikes have been outlawed downtown in my heathen village.

National scenic byway on the southside of my heathen village, really beautiful cool place to ride (think, PCH with bigger mountains) but, rumple strips in the sweet spot off the side of the lane, farther to the side is a flat waiting to happen, all boxed in with guard rail. I have yet to see a state with more hostile & ignorant drivers. Come to beautiful Alaska!

PS Give John McCain all the credit for Sara P. He could have pick someone else but nooooo...... Not everyone here is a fan.
Maybe if gas gets up to 7.50-10$ a gallon we will see auto traffic thin out and slow down. I'm getting cranky in my old age.

Fixed
01-12-2011, 06:07 PM
did you ever hear that pedestrians always have the right of way .
it is a load of baloney . but i think to encourage biking as a health and economic bonanza for the average cat bikes should have the right of way .
imho
cheers
iceman don't you cats have the cheapest gas in the u.s.?

Ahneida Ride
01-12-2011, 06:15 PM
untains)
Maybe if gas gets up to 7.50-10$ a gallon we will see auto traffic thin out and slow down. I'm getting cranky in my old age.

4 frn / gallon is right around the corner.

I am beyond cranky .... I've lost hope.

97CSI
01-12-2011, 06:17 PM
Cheer up................ maybe you can get an OEM gig with Ben. :)

Frankwurst
01-12-2011, 07:23 PM
4 frn / gallon is right around the corner.

Try having 15 trucks running up and down the road delivering product to customers that threaten to buy elsewhere if you add a fuel surcharge. That'll make you cranky not to mention the fact it cuts into the profit margin which cuts into my pay which means I might not be able to buy the best handle bar wrap ever known to mankind and have to resort back to cloth. I haven't lost hope but I'm cranky. Therefore I'll make a big drink. :beer:

chuckroast
01-12-2011, 07:37 PM
Well, if they talk themselves into requiring plates for bikes, it seems only a short step to personal property taxes for bikes as vehicles.

And if that happens.... uh oh, a lot of us are going to have to un-glam our bikes. :)

PaulE
01-12-2011, 07:43 PM
Well, if they talk themselves into requiring plates for bikes, it seems only a short step to personal property taxes for bikes as vehicles.

And if that happens.... uh oh, a lot of us are going to have to un-glam our bikes. :)

Before the Great Garden State of New Jersey puts a personal property tax on bikes, they will start with cars, trucks, RVs, boats and planes. We don't have those yet, just annual registration fees based on weight and vehicle class.

572cv
01-12-2011, 07:46 PM
if the goal is to pay for road maintenance, then vehicle weight and percentage of use during the year should be weighted proportionally. Cement trucks: big money; Pro football team buses:a lot, but only used part of the year; SUVs: next in line; dinky sedans: getting down there; Horse drawn carriages, Amish or otherwise: something too; bicycles: you get the picture; pedestrians: $1 per year.

By the time the arguments are over, none of us will be around to see what happened.

Erik.Lazdins
01-12-2011, 08:27 PM
I rode my bike all over in NJ, parked it at public schools, getting eggs, or milk, for my family as a kid on a bike all blissfully unaware that this act would eventually be deemed illegal and lead to the...

queue up Joe's Garage by Frank Zappa here :beer:

William
01-13-2011, 04:13 AM
Is so that drivers can turn in all you A-hole bike riders in neon spandex for taking up lanes, not coming to complete stops, and getting mouthy while making inappropriate hand gestures at motorists who crowd you!. :butt:

William :)

Rueda Tropical
01-13-2011, 06:40 AM
This sort of thing usually comes from motorists who see bikes as a nuisance and want them to "pay" road use like cars. I'd be for it if it meant ending the subsidy large vehicles receive that enables them to use the road that comes out of my pocket. I'll pay a few bucks for the space in the lane and wear and tear on the road my bike contributes providing the guy in the Explorer pays a proportionate amount. That would thin out traffic.

Vientomas
01-13-2011, 07:44 AM
Is a program like the one proposed really going to generate income? When you compare the administrative costs to the revenue stream, I suspect that the program will end up costing money to operate.

Lifelover
01-13-2011, 08:08 AM
Consider ourselfs lucky to live in a counrty and be in a position where this is something we have to worry and bitch about.

You could be hungry.

Ahneida Ride
01-13-2011, 08:27 AM
Try having 15 trucks running up and down the road delivering product to customers that threaten to buy elsewhere if you add a fuel surcharge. That'll make you cranky not to mention the fact it cuts into the profit margin which cuts into my pay which means I might not be able to buy the best handle bar wrap ever known to mankind and have to resort back to cloth. I haven't lost hope but I'm cranky. Therefore I'll make a big drink. :beer:

a local Bness guy is spending 75k frns a month just to put fuel in his
delivery trucks. just fuel .... nothing else. he has not even bought a
cheese sandwich yet. ( I just got a 7.5% price increase on the leather,
probably due to accelerated frn dilution (higher gas prices) )

less frns in your pocket = no HB wrap = less frns in my pocket
= less frns in some elses pocket ====== eventually less frns in
your pocket = less HB wrap sold ====== well you get the idea.

97CSI
01-13-2011, 08:36 AM
Is a program like the one proposed really going to generate income? When you compare the administrative costs to the revenue stream, I suspect that the program will end up costing money to operate.Exactly the argument I'm using with our congressweinies and fat governor. If they are all so gungho to save money, why more bureaucracy? Hopefully, this won't convince them to jack the fee to cover the costs.

Frankwurst
01-13-2011, 08:45 AM
a local Bness guy is spending 75k frns a month just to put fuel in his
delivery trucks. just fuel .... nothing else. he has not even bought a
cheese sandwich yet. ( I just got a 7.5% price increase on the leather,
probably due to accelerated frn dilution (higher gas prices) )

less frns in your pocket = no HB wrap = less frns in my pocket
= less frns in some elses pocket ====== eventually less frns in
your pocket = less HB wrap sold ====== well you get the idea.

Like I say....It's like wiping your butt on a hoop...There's just no end to it. :beer:

fiamme red
01-13-2011, 08:53 AM
New Jersey still has the second-lowest gasoline taxes in the country. Only Alaska's are lower.

goonster
01-13-2011, 09:10 AM
If just 10% of the effort expended on the wailing and gnashing of teeth over higher fuel prices could be directed toward real reductions in energy use . . . we might actually get somewhere.

Liberace
01-13-2011, 10:01 AM
NJ Assemblywoman Cleopatra Tucker withdraws proposal requiring bike licenses
http://www.dailyrecord.com/article/20110113/UPDATES01/110113031/1005/NEWS01/NJ+lawmaker+backs+off+requiring+bike+licenses+

AngryScientist
01-13-2011, 10:14 AM
thank god, thanks sean.

97CSI
01-13-2011, 10:18 AM
That was close. If introduced am sure my wimp of a senator would have be foresquare in support.

johnnymossville
01-13-2011, 10:26 AM
Very Good News. It was a Stupid Idea.

Polyglot
01-13-2011, 11:53 AM
Don't forget that it was the idiotic NJ politicians that also came up with the inane law to outlaw all quick release mechanisms on bikes. Luckily, the original text was modified just enough to make that one somewhat more digestible. They also have put a helmet law into act that is not enforced at all.

flickwet
01-13-2011, 12:06 PM
Wow! what an inspired bit of lunacy, the elderly must be gettin mowed down in droves in Joizy, The plates would have have to have been HUGE fer them ol'folks to see 'um when they're laing prone following the kiddy attack. (hows that for alot of 'haves' in a sentence)

veloduffer
01-13-2011, 12:24 PM
Wow! what an inspired bit of lunacy, the elderly must be gettin mowed down in droves in Joizy, The plates would have have to have been HUGE fer them ol'folks to see 'um when they're laing prone following the kiddy attack. (hows that for alot of 'haves' in a sentence)

I think the law should have been the other way around - having senior citizens re-qualified for holding a driver's license. A driver should be able to adapt to any situation. But that would contradict the "universal" truth that everyone admits to being a good driver.

snah
01-13-2011, 02:11 PM

This is what the 70 some year old was yelling at me on a Friday, about 4pm, guess I held him up while he rushed to make it to the Old Country Buffet.

gdw
01-13-2011, 02:36 PM
"This is what the 70 some year old was yelling at me on a Friday, about 4pm, guess I held him up while he rushed to make it to the Old Country Buffet."

You guys are tough on the seniors. From what I've seen they are better drivers than the electronic youth with their cellphones.

We should be thankful that motorists aren't organized. If they spent as much time whining on forums like some cyclists we might see a movement to establish new minimum safe speed statues in many states and communities. It would really put a knot in the average road biker's panties to see popular routes limited to vehicles traveling at 25mph or more. :banana:

That said, I'm also disgusted by Cleopatra's move and will continue my boycott NJ.

leooooo
01-13-2011, 02:50 PM
I'm far more terrified of a senior citizen behind the wheel than an electronic youth.
Personal experienceS dictates that I must feel that way.

Iceman
01-13-2011, 05:03 PM
Back at you from the Great white north. Alaska!
No, we don't have the cheapest gas in the country. 2nd most expensive next to Hawaii (3.80 something regular), oil co. scam? you bet.

Most of us riding bikes do have licenses and plates....on the cars and trucks we left in the driveway.

I try to tell the ignorant drivers I run into " that bike rider is one less car on the road".

For decades I have said if gas got up to $5 a gallon it would be good for us riders by taking all those yahoos off the road who drive around just to drive around. When gas went past $4 awhile back, I realized I needed to jump that amount up. I did notice traffic thin alittle and slow down.

Here is an Idea, how about the better gas milage your vehicle gets the cheaper gas at the pump is for you. Ford focus=$2.75, sedan=$3, quad cab 4-wheel drive silverado=$5, monster motorhome=$7, limo=$10.
Semis=exempt.

Fixed
01-13-2011, 05:22 PM
I'm far more terrified of a senior citizen behind the wheel than an electronic youth.
Personal experienceS dictates that I must feel that way.
bro i'm terrified of all cars
the balance is always in their favor
imho
cheers

hookookadoo
01-13-2011, 07:37 PM
I'm utterly speechless that i) a politician would be dumb enough to suggest it much less in NJ with all of their other issues ii)that folks thought it had a credible chance of going anywhere further than her mouth and iii) that the reason she suggested it was because old people were complaining of being run-down by cyclist. Honestly, how many people called her to complain? Four, maybe 5...and that was enough to create a whole new government program? Unbelievable.