PDA

View Full Version : OT Hotmail

Birddog
01-12-2011, 10:15 AM
Any Hotmail users having problems today? Mine started yesterday with some interruptions and today it has been totally shutdown. When I try to access, I get the message We're doing some maintenance to improve the service. We apologize for getting in your way. Please try again in a few minutes. If it's been more than an hour, tell us you're still waiting.
Clicking on the link gets me a blank page.

Birddog

rice rocket
01-12-2011, 10:27 AM
http://www.gmail.com

:bike:

tele
01-12-2011, 10:29 AM
got thay same message yesterday, refreshed the page and it worked fine. no problems this morning, so far....

jeo99
01-12-2011, 11:41 AM
No problem with my Hotmail yesterday or today!

:beer:

oldguy00
01-12-2011, 12:47 PM
No prob here.
Out of interest, what is better about gmail??
I've used hotmail for 10+ years without an issue..

rice rocket
01-12-2011, 12:59 PM
When you sign up for Gmail, you agree to let Google read your mail, which is unlike any other email service out there.

While that means better targeted ads for them, it also means that they can use the contents of your mail for comparative searches against other people's mailboxes for spam. It results in much better spam filtering than anything else I've used; I get maybe a handful of spam messages per YEAR.

If you're doing high sensitivity transactions or illegal stuff, don't use Gmail. But if you're a regular Joe Schmo like me, it's very convenient not to have to sort through junk. There's also all sorts of other "features" like priority mailboxes (where it'll use some learning logic to flag what you deem important, and place it on top), and other little things but the spam filtering is what keeps me there.

oliver1850
01-12-2011, 01:06 PM
My hotmail has been fine.

Seems like all the spam I get from CL posts comes from gmail accounts. What about it makes it attractive to spammers?

Birddog
01-13-2011, 08:46 AM
I'm surprised this hasn't affected somebody here. There are at least several hundred (if not thousands) complainers on the Hotmail "issues" forum with the same complaint. Apparently server problems are the cause.