PDA

View Full Version : cirque de cyclism out, classic rendezvous in!

jvp
01-12-2011, 07:18 AM
Back in NC! May 20 - 22.
I'm bringing my Mclean + old raleigh trackbike + stuff to sell...
Anyone else?
classic rendezvous weekend (http://www.classicrendezvous.com/Weekend2011.htm)

Pete Serotta
01-12-2011, 07:38 AM
In Greensboro NC and usually lots of fun and very interesting. ;)

Secosera
01-12-2011, 08:20 AM
Hmm, only a couple hours away...

I'll be there!

drewski
01-12-2011, 10:02 AM
I made my reservations at the Battleground Inn in Greensboro. I will be there with 1979 Raleigh purchased from forumite.

wool jersey -check

top clips -check

cotton cycles de oro cap -check

box of stuff to swap, trade, sell -check, check, check

Aiming to take a 1962 bottechia and bring for the fixie ride as well.

Secosera
01-12-2011, 10:42 AM
Reserved at the Battleground as well. The '84 Fuso will accompany me. Hopefully I can acquire some other classic goodies before then. Can't wait!

joelh
01-12-2011, 11:22 AM
Be sure to visit Natty Green's while in town. Very good local beer and food.

I would love to see the Mclean. I live near Silk Hope.

jvp
01-12-2011, 11:25 AM
Mcleans!
According to the schedule there will be a "Special display of North Carolina's own McLean & Silk Hope road racing & touring bicycles (1972-1982)"

fiamme red
01-12-2011, 11:27 AM
Never been to the Cirque before. If I go this year, I'll be sure to wear my McLean/Silk Hope t-shirt.

jvp
01-12-2011, 11:43 AM
It's not the cirque exactly, it's a sort of substitute put on by Dale Brown, who originated the cirque back in ~'98. Both have organized rides, speakers and demos, bike shows, and swap-and-sell. I think the main difference is in scale, the cirque draws in more heavy hitters for the show and presentations.
Not that this event won't be good!

Polyglot
01-12-2011, 12:15 PM
It's not the cirque exactly, it's a sort of substitute put on by Dale Brown, who originated the cirque back in ~'98. Both have organized rides, speakers and demos, bike shows, and swap-and-sell. I think the main difference is in scale, the cirque draws in more heavy hitters for the show and presentations.
Not that this event won't be good!

Not to disparage the last few Cirques, but I honestly expect this weekend to outdraw anything that has happened over the last three years in Leesburg. I already know of many West-Coasters who have confirmed their participation, as well Floridians, Minnesotans, Canadians and others who have been absent from the Cirque. It certainly helps that the economy has improved somewhat over the last couple years, plus there is no competing Philly bike weekend and Dale, the organizer, is such a congenial fellow.

Besides, when was the last time you heard an English-speaking speaker who has first hand experience racing against the likes of Coppi and Bartali in the 50's, as well as Olympic coaching experience in cycling?

The whole event will rock!

PS: I am biased as I will be helping out.

jvp
01-12-2011, 12:36 PM
If it's bigger and better I'm all for it! Also, those of you that attend and have a day or more to spare should also consider that Asheville, NC is ~3 hrs. west, Boone, NC is ~2.5 hrs. west. Both have world class cycling (blue ridge parkway, etc.) and May is very nice up there!

SPOKE
01-12-2011, 06:18 PM
Maybe I should dust off one of my Teledyne's.......maybe motivation to build up the Exxon Graftek....hmm

Dave Wages
01-12-2011, 09:55 PM
Hopefully I can make it, I've really enjoyed the last 3 years in Leesburg, but I have heard stories about how awesome the events were in Greensboro.

I need to try and put together a vintage or semi-vintage kit for my for at least one of my bikes...

Cheers,
Dave

palincss
01-13-2011, 08:37 AM
It's unclear to me: is this in addition to, or instead of, the Cirque as recently constituted in Leesburg?

jvp
01-13-2011, 08:44 AM
instead of

Polyglot
01-13-2011, 09:34 AM
It's unclear to me: is this in addition to, or instead of, the Cirque as recently constituted in Leesburg?

The Cirque in Leesburg is going on a one-year sabbatical and will return in 2012. The Classic Rendezvous weekend is being put on by the original architect of the Cirque, but it is not the Cirque. I suppose the best way to describe it is to say that it is meant to keep the burner warm for the return of the Cirque...

Dave Wages
01-13-2011, 11:45 AM
I made my reservations this morning at the Battleground Inn, so I'm in! :beer:

Cheers,
Dave

J.Greene
01-13-2011, 11:52 AM
Not to disparage the last few Cirques, but I honestly expect this weekend to outdraw anything that has happened over the last three years in Leesburg. I already know of many West-Coasters who have confirmed their participation, as well Floridians, Minnesotans, Canadians and others who have been absent from the Cirque. It certainly helps that the economy has improved somewhat over the last couple years, plus there is no competing Philly bike weekend and Dale, the organizer, is such a congenial fellow.

The whole event will rock!

PS: I am biased as I will be helping out.

Steven,
Florida has promised to bring new atendess this year and our intent is to help make this the best edition ever. We are looking forward to the return of the date in May too.

Jonathan

Beeb
01-19-2011, 07:26 AM
I've been wanting to make it out to Cirque for a few years with no success. But if I can get my Frejus in running order I may try to get to Leesburg for this! I'm sure there will be more updates as the event gets closer, and if I'm headed down there might be space in the van for a couple other NYC-based folk.

Polyglot
01-19-2011, 10:00 AM
I've been wanting to make it out to Cirque for a few years with no success. But if I can get my Frejus in running order I may try to get to Leesburg for this! I'm sure there will be more updates as the event gets closer, and if I'm headed down there might be space in the van for a couple other NYC-based folk.

Beeb, there will not be any Cirque this year. Wayne and MJ, the organizers for the last three years are taking a one-year sabbatical, so there will not be anything in Leesburg until 2012 at the earliest. Dale Brown, the creator of the original Cirque and the one behind the Classic Rendezvous website and CR listserve has jumped in to host a Classic Rendezvous Weekend, which is NOT the same thing as the Cirque.

To the best of my knowledge, this is a one-off event, that will only happen in 2011, so if you want to come, this is the only chance you will get.

sjauch2
01-19-2011, 02:24 PM

I'd be happy to pay for gas. :)

palincss
01-19-2011, 03:34 PM
I've been wanting to make it out to Cirque for a few years with no success. But if I can get my Frejus in running order I may try to get to Leesburg for this!

Evidently the Cirque is on hiatus this year.

J.Greene
01-20-2011, 08:50 AM
For those of us who have attended the Cirque over most of the last decade, the Greensboro editions were some of the best. Dale Brown is a generous host and I'm looking forward to going back.