PDA

View Full Version : OT: Any elliptical users...advice?

VTCaraco
01-11-2011, 10:01 PM
Unlike many of you, I hang my bike for the winter and retreat to the rowing machine, step climber and weights in the basement as the mercury drops and day loses it's battle with the night. When there's snow on the ground, I ski (cross-country to maintain fitness and downhill to put a silly smile on my face) and snowshoe. For me, the "off-season" keeps cycling healthy and exciting.
My wife and I both love the rower/stair machine combo, but both can be a little hard on the body (knees & lower back) for different reasons. The Mrs tried an elliptical at a hotel a few years back and uses one on her grad school weekends every other month. So I've been thinking I might add one to the exercise room.
I had a beat on a True Strider last weekend that a local university was dumping. The contact said that the condition was functionally excellent, but I might want to replace a bushing down the road. So I drove the 2 hours to get it, hopped on it to give it a try, and it had a very obvious clunking that turned out to be a missing foot on the back corner. After a little back-and-forth, he stood firm on price and said 'take it or leave it' ~ so I walked away.

Anybody have any positive experiences to recommend a brand or model?

I'd like to be fairly modest in price ~ I don't have bottomless pockets nor do I want this to be a marquee possession. I'm also of the mind that a 2nd-hand machine that's been minimally used or a higher-end machine with more usage would be perfectly suitable for our purposes.

And if, by chance you're in the New England or even NY area with a machine you're no longer using, shoot me a PM.

Dekonick
01-11-2011, 10:18 PM
Having used many models (work provides them... and they suck) we (my wife after researching extensively) have found the precor models to be the best available for home. We have a precor and use it (my wife likes it - that is waht matters... I would rather either not do cardio or find something, ANYTHING, outside to do... with the rare exception when I find myself stuck and have to use a treadmill/elliptical/rower.... :crap:

The Precor at least feels natural... life fitness elliptical (supposed to be commercial quality... its crap) sucks - that is what we have at work. On a really - and I mean REALLY - bad day I will use them. I prefer to toss weights around at work and run or ride outside.

:) The Precor models are fine... I prefer them. I have no knowledge of the combination units you see now... treadmill/elliptical combo''s... seems like a gimmic.

VTCaraco
01-11-2011, 11:10 PM
That's the direction I was initially leaning, but I read a few reviews that were critical; especially of the models that omit the pieces/parts for the arms.

And glad you mention the Life Fitness experience. They seem to get great reviews so I was giving them more consideration.

Dekonick
01-12-2011, 12:04 AM
We have owned ours for 5+ years. No issues at all.

learlove
01-12-2011, 01:49 AM
of all the gyms I've been in all over the US (I'm an airline pilot) in the past 12 years I's say I liked and had the best elliptical workout on the precore. If I was building a home gym I'd split for the

http://www.precor.com/en-us/canada/home/efx-546i-elliptical-fitness-crosstrainer

I like the fixed arms rather than the moving ones.

My gym would be this elliptical and a simple weight bench (free weights) setup. Otherwise the bike(s) are all you need.

godfrey1112000
01-12-2011, 05:58 AM
it is flawless

BlackTiBob
01-12-2011, 10:57 AM
Please do yourself a favor and find a shop that sells Precor AND Octane.

Precor is good, no doubt, but I love the Ocatne we have at work.
It was the main element in my losing weight and getting fit.

After trying both at a store, look for a used model. Both Precor and Octane are extremely reliable and often sell used (with little or no use) for half of new!!!

Try to test each for a few minutes and see which stride feels better to you.
Kind of like saddles, I love the stride on the Ocatne and the Precor stride feels not nearly as good BUT others feel just the opposite.

Elliptical = magic conditioning in my book. As you mentioned , very easy on the joints, etc

rice rocket
01-12-2011, 11:04 AM
You really have to try them all in my opinion.

I'm of short stature, and find some models to have obscenely long stride lengths. i.e. Star-Trac. I forget what my Precor experience was.

VTCaraco
01-12-2011, 11:04 AM
I've read some good things about Octane ellipticals, too. So thanks for the personal anecdote.

And I'm 100% with you on the quest for second-hand. Lots of folks with very expensive clothes hangers in their homes. Would love to find something that was a best intention ~ now looking to reclaim the space .

Mike126
01-12-2011, 11:17 AM
My wife and researched ellipticals a few years ago. From talking to a good salesperson at a higher end fitness equipment supplier they basically said that each company makes their own stride motion which you may love or hate. I've tried Life Fitness, Octane and Precor. Of the 3, for me, the Octane felt the best but even that bothered my knee (petella tendon). The best thing to do is go to a store that will let you work out on one for 20 minutes over several days and determine which one feels best for you.

my 2 cents... :)

VTCaraco
01-12-2011, 12:14 PM
I really love VT and rural living, but it has it's downside. For example, getting to a good fitness store for 'test rides'.

We've got one about an hour west of here in either Saratoga (Serotta-ville) or Albany area. Maybe we'll add this to the weekend to-do list and get a feel for what we (or, more specifically, the Mrs) like(s) the most.

onekgguy
01-12-2011, 12:20 PM
You really have to try them all in my opinion.

I'm of short stature, and find some models to have obscenely long stride lengths. i.e. Star-Trac. I forget what my Precor experience was.

I've got an Octane Q45ce with SmartStride that automatically adjusts to fit your stride. My wife is considerably shorter than I am and it seemed like a good option to have.

It's the only elliptical machine I've ever used so I'm really not in a position to compare it to others but I like it a lot.

Kevin g

1centaur
01-12-2011, 02:50 PM
I looked at reviews today on line and liked the Octane but saw one site that gave it 5/10 on noise vs. 8/10 for some others. Was noise at all an issue from those who have used one?

The one I have never heard of that got a lot of good comments at a good price was Smooth Fitness, which was considered practically silent.

http://www.fitness-equipment-source.com/elliptical-reviews/smooth-agile-dmt-x2.html

onekgguy
01-12-2011, 08:28 PM
I looked at reviews today on line and liked the Octane but saw one site that gave it 5/10 on noise vs. 8/10 for some others. Was noise at all an issue from those who have used one?

The one I have never heard of that got a lot of good comments at a good price was Smooth Fitness, which was considered practically silent.

http://www.fitness-equipment-source.com/elliptical-reviews/smooth-agile-dmt-x2.html

I've never had any noise issues with mine. I watch TV while I use it and the volume on the TV is at a normal level.

Kevin g

rbtmcardle
01-12-2011, 09:26 PM
+1 on the Octane. Its the Serotta of Ellipticals. Not so well known by the masses, but spot on with design and quality. Dont spend more then you can afford, but also, dont short change yourself... nothing is more wasteful then a 2000 dollar clothes rack.

dekindy
01-13-2011, 08:10 AM
LBS fitness division carries Precor and Vision Fitness. Vision Fitness advertises PerfectStride and Quiet-Glide technology. That is all I know about Vision Fitness other than the Sprint 8 workout is built in as a workout option. LBS has had a Phil Campbell seminar last Winter and this week. Doing Sprint 8 workouts on my trainer has improved my cycling significantly so I recommend doing some type of interval training especially if you are older and need the HGH boost.

VTCaraco
01-13-2011, 09:17 AM
Thanks for all the feedback and advice.

To reiterate, I'm thinking of this mostly for my wife.

As for training ideas, we already do a fair bit of interval work and have several options for getting in a good workout indoors (for me, it's my Concept2 Rower), including several cardio machines, a heavy bag, and a nice set of bars/weights/dumbbells/bench.
So mostly I'm looking for anecdotal recommendations of brands/models and/or, if possible, a quasi-local person who might be interested in unloading a (recommended) machine that they no longer use.

dekindy
01-13-2011, 09:35 AM
http://www1.epinions.com/review/Octane_Fitness_Q47_Series_Elliptical_epi/content_467833360004

The review above covers many brands that he tried and researched before he purchased an Octane. I found it interesting and hope it helps.

fiddlels
01-13-2011, 12:58 PM
Consumer Reports did a review this last month on fitness equipment as well.

Spinner
01-13-2011, 03:31 PM
... however I prefer the Cybex Arc Trainer because it provides a longer range of motion for your legs.

Cheers.

onekgguy
01-13-2011, 05:12 PM

Here you go...I just took this 30 second video (http://vimeo.com/18764749) of my Octane 47ce to show you how it sounds. The first half of the video is on a lower resistance and the last half is with more load on the machine. No difference between the two. I've shut down the fan and TV so you can only hear the sound of the machine.

Kevin g

1centaur
01-13-2011, 06:10 PM
Cool, especially with the Jack Bauer telephone sound :)

Construction quality looks good.

onekgguy
01-13-2011, 10:43 PM
Cool, especially with the Jack Bauer telephone sound :)

Construction quality looks good.

haha...yes, that's CTU as my email notifier on my Droid.

Kevin g