PDA

View Full Version : A shout out for Mr. Ergott

TMB
01-10-2011, 09:07 PM
Sometime in early December I contacted Ergott and asked him about a set of wheels that was rolling around in the back of my melon.

I have always been a proud grouch about wheels but somewhere along the way I found myself the owner of a set of Campagnolo Neutrons and in spite of the fact that they are clinchers I found myself liking them a lot more than I expected.

So I posed the question to Ergott about a "wider" alloy rim, easliy repairable set of wheels much like the Neutrons, but in a tubular.

He delivered, quickly and smoothly.

Since I was going to be in Scottsdale over Christmas I asked him to deliver them to the home of my long suffering friend Mr. zMudshark.

As it turned out I didn't end up mounting tires or using the wheels while I was down there and ended up just sending them home, I finally got around to unpacking them tonight.

Wow.

Mr. Eric you did good.

Just so you all know the numbers pencilled on the rims are the actual rim weights and the as built actuals for the wheels.

I didn't want something delicate, I wanted something that I can put big fat tubulars on and ride all over the place any time I want. These will do just fine.

1440 gms total.

Alchemy hubs.
Velocity rims.
DT Revolution - rear drive side.
Sapim CX Ray everywhere else.

I recommend our forum mate.

StellaBlue
01-10-2011, 09:15 PM
Nice hubs

Blue Jays
01-10-2011, 09:36 PM
Good for you, enjoy!

AngryScientist
01-11-2011, 06:11 AM
nice wheels. eric definitely knows his stuff, I'm also very happy with a set of ergotts. :beer:

merckx
01-11-2011, 06:55 AM
I have four questions if you don't mind.

1. Is the Velocity rim the Major Tom, I assume?
2. What is the spoke count?
3. How much do you weigh?
4. What was the cost?

Enjoy the wheels. They sound fabulous!

TMB
01-11-2011, 08:57 AM
I have four questions if you don't mind.

1. Is the Velocity rim the Major Tom, I assume?
2. What is the spoke count?
3. How much do you weigh?
4. What was the cost?

Enjoy the wheels. They sound fabulous!

It is the Major Tom. Spoke count is 24/28 and having gone back to look at my correspondence with Eric the rds spokes are in fact Wheelsmith db14 - where I came up with Revolutions I don't know.

The weight thing is a bit personal?.. Bear in mind we are post Christmas! I would normally be in the 185 range, sadly at the moment I have fallen out of the range, and not to the good side!

I don't think that I should be quoting prices here, but they were competitive with any other numbers I have seen, and cheaper than I could buy the parts for.

merckx
01-11-2011, 10:51 AM
TMB,

Thanks for the reply. I assumed that the RDS spokes that you initially mentioned were an error. Happy dieting.

znfdl
01-11-2011, 01:58 PM
Eric is a good guy and a pleasure to deal with. I have a set of commuting wheels that are going on 10,000 miles strong.....

Look585
01-28-2011, 11:50 AM
It is the Major Tom.

What tubs do you have mounted? Will 23mm road tubs glue up well or are the rim beds too shallow for proper contact?

I know these are "cyclocross" rims, but I'd love a set for 23-25mm road tubs.

Thanks!

TMB
01-28-2011, 12:01 PM
What tubs do you have mounted? Will 23mm road tubs glue up well or are the rim beds too shallow for proper contact?

I know these are "cyclocross" rims, but I'd love a set for 23-25mm road tubs.

Thanks!

I rarely ride 23's, especially with tubulars. One of the advantages is the ability to mount a wider tire and lower the pressure.

I have mounted a set of Challenge Strada 25's.

These are meant for miles on the road.