View Full Version : Lemond Z team questions

ultraman6970
01-10-2011, 06:40 PM
Anybody familiar with them???

Pricing??

Thanks.

dave thompson
01-10-2011, 07:59 PM
IIRC the 'real' Team Z Lemonds were made by several different makers, Calfee (nee CarbonFrames) among them. Weren't the steel Zs made by Della Santa? And the Ti bikes designed by Tom Kellogg and made by Merlin? And later the 'replica' bikes (for sale to the public) were made by CarbonFrames and I think Belloto and Scapin in Italy.

Fixed
01-10-2011, 08:05 PM
http://www.bikingthings.com/tvtlocabehif.html
cheers

ultraman6970
01-10-2011, 08:28 PM
This one is a bilato, but whats the market price of one of this frames today in fair condition??

dave thompson
01-10-2011, 08:36 PM
This one is a bilato, but whats the market price of one of this frames today in fair condition??
<$200.

ultraman6970
01-10-2011, 09:15 PM
That low? wow!!! That means that the headset and the seatpost value is more than the frame itself (campagnolo record), interesting hehe :D

pbjbike
01-10-2011, 09:27 PM
What DT said: Merlin for the Ti team bikes, Carbon Frames built the carbon. Not sure about the steel, but Della Santa sounds right. If it's a team bike, with the rider's name stenciled on the TT, there's some collector value.

ultraman6970
01-10-2011, 09:33 PM
This is just a replica, the difference between the della santa ones and the bilato's are the decals and the paint jobs. But just wanted to know the value of one of those bilato ones in the street, i never imagine it as that low tho.

John H.
01-10-2011, 09:38 PM
Depends on condition and tubing.
When you speak of Bilato- are you talking about the columbus tubed ones? Or the more modern Excel tubed frames.
I would say the TSX or more modern Excel frames would be worth more than $200- if condition is reasonable.
SL frames less
Tre Tubi or Aelle frames even less

ultraman6970
01-10-2011, 09:41 PM
Well apparently this one was built by one of the bilato bros, columbus tubing, no idea which one because i have not seen the frame personally, so it could be columbus aelle or maybe tsx?

John H.
01-10-2011, 09:47 PM
TSX has internal cable routing for rear brake and nicer finish- chrome drive side chainstay, I think campy drop-outs (but I could be wrong on that)- also I think the serial number on underside of bb may indicate tubing- the TSX ones start with a T?
Personally, I would only consider a TSX (or the more modern Excel).

Well apparently this one was built by one of the bilato bros, columbus tubing, no idea which one because i have not seen the frame personally, so it could be columbus aelle or maybe tsx?

buldogge
01-10-2011, 09:54 PM
I just picked up a complete '88 (which I am assuming is Bilato built) with Chorus 7s gruppo, Cinelli cockpit, MA40 rims for $350. The frame is 59cm and is supposedly SPX (weight seems about right). It was unfortunately repainted like a '98 Zurich (by Trek) and had it's original fork replaced with a matching '98 CF model.

-Mark in St. Louis

buldogge
01-10-2011, 09:57 PM
Apparently, the serial numbers were often on stickers only (applied by TSDI). The one I picked up lost its serial number when it got the repaint...the only thing on the BB is '59'.

-Mark

TSX has internal cable routing for rear brake and nicer finish- chrome drive side chainstay, I think campy drop-outs (but I could be wrong on that)- also I think the serial number on underside of bb may indicate tubing- the TSX ones start with a T?
Personally, I would only consider a TSX (or the more modern Excel).

ultraman6970
01-10-2011, 10:08 PM
350 bucks? thats a steal. I never ever been able to put my eyes in a deal like that, I have very very bad luck with some stuff. :(

Well the z im talking about has chrome in a chain stay plus internal cable routing so probably is a tsx. Hope I could go to see it tomorrow.

dave thompson
01-10-2011, 10:31 PM
Team Z 'replicas' were decent Italian bikes, not much special other than the decals applied. The raw frames were imported into the U.S. and painted by 10-Speed Drive Imports. Bill Bove, now owner of FatCat Bicycles in Lake Worth Florida used to work in the paint shop at 10-Speed posted this in 2003 regarding a Team Z bike shown on this forum: "I worked in the paint shop at Ten Speed Drive Imports when that bike was sold. They were made by Belloto in Italy, imported into Florida and painted by a girl named Sue, I did the hand painting in the cut outs in the lugs and applied the decals. Needless to say, we sold a lot of those. TSX was a lighter version of SLX, it had the rifleing the entire length of the tube. It is a nice riding bike. Every now and then a Team Z jersey shows up on ebay, mine is long worn out. Ride it and love it."

ultraman6970
01-10-2011, 10:53 PM
Interesting, thanks :)

I even believing the guy wants too much but the seatpost and the headset worth maybe more than the frame itself, incredible :D

oliver1850
01-11-2011, 12:21 AM
Apparently, the serial numbers were often on stickers only (applied by TSDI). The one I picked up lost its serial number when it got the repaint...the only thing on the BB is '59'.

-Mark

That size stamp in the same place as the one on your Titan by chance?

Nice buy, Mark

BryanE
01-11-2011, 05:32 AM
In 2008 I bought a NOS basement find 1999 Lemond Ventoux frame with the ZED paint for 499.00.Not a scratch on it,mint.
it wasn't until after I bought it I found out more details.
It was the basic Billato made Cro Mor not the SL or SLX which is preferable.
I think a used one for 200 is the correct range.
Bryan

buldogge
01-11-2011, 08:28 AM
Hey Mark... I would need to look at both of them (two different physical locations right now)...but...pretty much, I believe.

Bilato may well have built the Titans as well...

-Mark

That size stamp in the same place as the one on your Titan by chance?

Nice buy, Mark