PDA

View Full Version : Latex tubes with carbon clinchers...

crownjewelwl
01-10-2011, 01:59 PM
is this combination a no-no? i was under the impression that the heat generated from breaking could blow out a latex tube.

but now i see that Zipp is making latex tubes...

moreover, is it worth the change?

brian34343434
01-10-2011, 02:10 PM
I ride carbon clinchers and am curious about this topic too....

Charles M
01-10-2011, 02:18 PM
Yes and no...

Depends on wwho's rim and how they're dealing with heat.

I would very simply email the wheel manufacturer directly and ask. I've been told two different answeres from the same companies...

crownjewelwl
01-10-2011, 02:35 PM
Thanks Pez...

The wheels in question of the 404 Carbon Clinchers. I will send an inquiry but I imagine the description for their latex tubes would've noted if they weren't compatible...

If they are ok, do you think latex improves ride quality by that much??

brian34343434
01-10-2011, 02:37 PM
I've got a pair of the Zipp 404's too, also a pain of Edge 65's I was wondering about.

crownjewelwl
01-10-2011, 02:42 PM
Just did a live chat with Zipp (didn't know they had that or I might've started there!).

Party line is that latex tubes are ok with Zipp carbon clinchers.

Still wondering about the ride quality...

crownjewelwl
01-10-2011, 02:49 PM
- Most analogous thing to putting a vanity license plate on your car: Day in/day out training on tubulars. With the quality of full carbon clinchers now available (especially when paired with a nice set of tires and latex tubes), the putative ride quality superiority of tubulars seems sketchy, especially if your daily riding takes you out to the hinterlands of no-cell-coverage. Yes, Vittoria Pit Stop and CO2 is an insurance policy of sorts for sewups. But 2010 was the year where the risk/reward of their daily usage became less sensible than ever before.

mike p
01-10-2011, 02:50 PM
I've never found latex tubes to be worth the trouble on any wheel. Any I've used have lacked durability. That and many good butyl tubes around 70 grams.

Mike

martinrjensen
01-10-2011, 05:14 PM
why is this significant to 2010? I don't see what's wrong with riding tubulars, especially out of cell range. If you are out of cell range, you are probably in the country and there is a lot less glass on the road in the country. Also you are supposed to carry a spare anyway.- snipped...But 2010 was the year where the risk/reward of their daily usage became less sensible than ever before.

marle
01-10-2011, 05:21 PM
LW recommends no latex

R2D2
01-11-2011, 04:19 AM
- Most analogous thing to putting a vanity license plate on your car: Day in/day out training on tubulars. With the quality of full carbon clinchers now available (especially when paired with a nice set of tires and latex tubes), the putative ride quality superiority of tubulars seems sketchy, especially if your daily riding takes you out to the hinterlands of no-cell-coverage. Yes, Vittoria Pit Stop and CO2 is an insurance policy of sorts for sewups. But 2010 was the year where the risk/reward of their daily usage became less sensible than ever before.

Based on this logic, why even bother with carbon clinchers. They offer no real advantage over alloy clinchers. Alloy rims cost much less and can be built to weigh less and there are no worries about latex tubes. A carbon clincher rim is the biggest vanity item there is.

1centaur
01-11-2011, 05:01 AM
Carbon clinchers are more aero (yes you can feel it) at the same or lower weight than a lot of/most alu clinchers and stiffer than the lightest alu clinchers.

I've been annoyed more than pleased by latex tubes. Lose air quickly and more flat prone than 70 gm butyl.

R2D2
01-11-2011, 05:51 AM
Carbon clinchers are more aero (yes you can feel it) at the same or lower weight than a lot of/most alu clinchers and stiffer than the lightest alu clinchers.

I've been annoyed more than pleased by latex tubes. Lose air quickly and more flat prone than 70 gm butyl.

Granted. Tubulars even more so. Both are exotic for everday/training wheels. I have friends afraid to ride them as "something" might happen. For training I'll take a 3x cross alu that you can beat the ???? out of and not cry about it.

My only point was the argument makes little sense in the context of everyday/training. Ever tried to patch a latex tube? Or ride home on a busted low count spoke wheel?

And not directed at OP as I know CC was the author.

But ride what you want.

Charles M
01-11-2011, 07:38 AM
I think a few ultralight tubes are pretty similar to latex ride and less hassle...

Pick a heavy duty standard tube and they can be pretty stiff compared to good latex, but when you take a good quality thinner standard tube, the gap closes up some.

The tire matters too. Take a crap training tire with super stiff casing and it sucks no matter what tube you use, but go to something like the 320 TPI vittorias and you can have better or worse tubes (at same higher pressure).

I like light weight standard tubes in good clincher tires. Do that and the latest Vittoria 320 TPI clincher gets a pretty similar roll to it's 320 TPI tubular cousin...

crownjewelwl
01-11-2011, 08:06 AM
Based on this logic, why even bother with carbon clinchers. They offer no real advantage over alloy clinchers. Alloy rims cost much less and can be built to weigh less and there are no worries about latex tubes. A carbon clincher rim is the biggest vanity item there is.

have you ever ridden carbon clinchers? they spin faster at speed...

sorry for my vanity

AngryScientist
01-11-2011, 08:08 AM
i agree with PEZ - switching to an "open tubular" typed clincher does way more for the ride than tubes will. i'm also a fan of the vittorias. they wear quickly, but they sure are plush.