PDA

View Full Version : Hey Cees!

ergott
05-14-2005, 10:02 AM
OK so as a far less experienced builder than yourself I have a question that stems from the previous discussion. I deal only in steel spokes because the performance per dollar ratio is what most customers ask for. If I follow the recommended tension from the rim manufacturer (usually the weakest link) and build a wheel up using the Park tensiometer, is there a flaw in my reliance on this tool?

Park has collected the deflection data needed for the spokes I use and gave me the conversion from the deflection read by the meter to spoke tension. I follow their instructions and take my reading from the middle section of butted spokes and insure there is no spoke windup. When I take a reading, it is consistent to within a couple of % each time. I can get all the spokes in a given side to within the same couple of % in deflection and therefore conclude the tension for a given wheel is suitable for a well built wheel. I do check the pitch of the spokes, but it is clear that for a given tension, a 2.0mm spoke will have a different pitch than a 1.8mm spoke for a given length. I find that pitch is good for finding even tension, but you can't know what that tension is because length and diameter differences will result in different pitches just like the "tensiometers" out there. THe difference to me is that Park, Wheelsmith, Hozan etc. have calculated the differenced a provide charts for us to use. Granted, this will not work for your application, because composite spokes haven't been tested in this matter and and there are probable other issues I don't even know about.

I understand your argument that these tools are not in fact tensiometers, but I am under the understanding that for my purposes they serve the same function and cost a lot less. Bottom line, what do you think of traditional wheelbuilders using these "tensiometers" with spokes that are more traditional (steel)?

Eric

ada@prorider.or
05-14-2005, 11:40 AM
OK so as a far less experienced builder than yourself I have a question that stems from the previous discussion. I deal only in steel spokes because the performance per dollar ratio is what most customers ask for. If I follow the recommended tension from the rim manufacturer (usually the weakest link) and build a wheel up using the Park tensiometer, is there a flaw in my reliance on this tool?

Park has collected the deflection data needed for the spokes I use and gave me the conversion from the deflection read by the meter to spoke tension. I follow their instructions and take my reading from the middle section of butted spokes and insure there is no spoke windup. When I take a reading, it is consistent to within a couple of % each time. I can get all the spokes in a given side to within the same couple of % in deflection and therefore conclude the tension for a given wheel is suitable for a well built wheel. I do check the pitch of the spokes, but it is clear that for a given tension, a 2.0mm spoke will have a different pitch than a 1.8mm spoke for a given length. I find that pitch is good for finding even tension, but you can't know what that tension is because length and diameter differences will result in different pitches just like the "tensiometers" out there. THe difference to me is that Park, Wheelsmith, Hozan etc. have calculated the differenced a provide charts for us to use. Granted, this will not work for your application, because composite spokes haven't been tested in this matter and and there are probable other issues I don't even know about.

I understand your argument that these tools are not in fact tensiometers, but I am under the understanding that for my purposes they serve the same function and cost a lot less. Bottom line, what do you think of traditional wheelbuilders using these "tensiometers" with spokes that are more traditional (steel)?

Eric

mmm
that depands in the person or he realize what all play a role and ineteract with it
example if all tensions are the same and one spoke is schorter due to the flage hole in hub is not exact on the proper place or the spoke hole is not exact in the rim
lets say 2 degrees where it should be amd in the rim the is less material then it sould be or other case more
the if the say all spoke have the same deflection
and do not notice this its bound to happen everytime
to adjust the spoke tension and likely to get a wobble

there are many other varible's but again you do not hear me judging other mechanic's its all ready hard enough to even get all parts and even to be perfect

ergott
05-14-2005, 07:10 PM
Thanks for your imput.

Eric