PDA

View Full Version : 32 Weeks to PBP

BCS
01-09-2011, 09:00 AM
Yesterday was the opening ride in our local Brevet series. Perfect day for riding with spectacular views of the Atlantic and Indian River. Unfortunately forgot my camera. Winds were a steady 10-12 out of the west but felt like a headwind on the outbound leg. Despite not being in top form due to my recent vertigo, I was able to negative split.

The ride for me almost didn't happen. While I was going to pack my truck to leave for the ride, my left knee met the front bumper of the car in the garage. I went down in a heap and couldn't help thinking about when Tanya Harding and Jeff Gillooly whacked Nancy Kerrigan on the knee just prior to her event. Advil, ice and a bandage got me on the road but I found the process of unclipping from the pedals painful. Leaving the final control at mile 101, I came to a red light. My feeble attempt at a track stand ended with me falling over onto my elbow and hip. The Ti Serotta escaped with some cosmetic issues only. I came away with some minor road rash but my gel flash exploded in my jersey pocket making for a sticky ride home. At least I smelled like Vanilla. A quick shower and dinner with some old riding buddies made the pain go away. I really hope I can finish PBp this time around but I am going to enjoy the process either way.