PDA

View Full Version : OT: Note Pad computers

Smiley
01-09-2011, 08:58 AM
which one do u use and would u buy it again. I just need one to check e-mails, do skype and some minor computer work etc. Suggestions please

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2369244,00.asp

KeithS
01-09-2011, 09:38 AM
We bought an Asus model for my daughter when she took a job teaching english in a Korean private school. Broadband is very pervasive over there. We were looking for something bullet proof, she is not gentle on stuff, not malicious, just not really aware and not so very technical for her generation. Two years have passed, she was just back over the holidays and it's still working great. She went through two laptops in college, thrown in the back of the car, carried everywhere, hard drive problems galore, broken hinges, display problems etc. The Asus was cheap, no moving parts, camera built in, we skype often, it fit the bill and satisfied all of my criteria - cheap, durable and easy.

I'm looking at another one for home. My 14 year old got an Ipod Touch from us for her birthday in the fall, that's pretty cool too. Can't see me using a handheld for my primary device. I don't know if we'll go to an iPad but it is the default for that platform in the market, if there was an Android platform tablet out there that wasn't teatherd to a carrier maybe that. I like my HTC Evo, I've even read several novels on the Kindle app.

I wasn't really impressed with the Slate at the Microsoft store I saw over the holidays either. That was an interesting stop too, it's right across the hall from the Apple Store at the Mall of America, a very interesting study in contrast.

Pete Serotta
01-09-2011, 11:59 AM
Small, easy to use and pretty solid. Come on down and try mine :) :)

Pete

MRB
01-09-2011, 12:04 PM
The smallest Mac Book Pro would be my vote. You pay a little more, but they run great.

rice rocket
01-09-2011, 12:08 PM
which one do u use and would u buy it again. I just need one to check e-mails, do skype and some minor computer work etc. Suggestions please

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2369244,00.asp
You're correct in looking at netbooks.

Not on that list is Google's Chrome OS notebook. It's netbook taken to the extreme (everything exists on Google's network), but cool things are instant bootup, no hard drives to break, etc. They're also giving them out for free for trial use (I've known a few that have received one).

http://www.google.com/chromeos/pilot-program.html

dave thompson
01-09-2011, 12:18 PM
We've use an Asus netbook for a couple of years now. It's traveled with us on our European bike trips, to Cabo, on multiday bike tours here in the States and just general use whenever we're away from home. Reliable, works like it's supposed to and have had no issues.

rounder
01-09-2011, 10:40 PM
I just bought an iPad for my wife. It was 64 gb with 3G, and seemed expensive. But, it holds her iPod collection and connects immediately with FIOS at home, or WiFi where offered. When traveling, you can sign up for AT&T for a month, and cancel when you are done. I think Verizon is now offering it. I fooled around with it, and it is responsive and the logic seems intuitive. I read some news recently and found that some schools are using them for class. Also read that one school (may be MIT), was using them to evaluate applications of prospective students. Read another article saying that the technology of the new smart phones along with tablets may rival what is being offered with laptops. My wife is not a sophisticated user, but no regets so far. I think the iPad is great.

zap
01-10-2011, 08:57 AM
I'm waiting for next gen ipad (on verizon 4G network) for personal and biz use.

Climb01742
01-10-2011, 09:09 AM
smile-man, if you can wait, reports say that a much improved ipad is arriving this spring. and verizon is announcing tomorrow that they'll sell iphones...all of which means that if you get an ipad, you'll have a choice of att or verizon plans, which in the first few months, at least, should benefit from price competition. just a thought, if the timeframe works.