PDA

View Full Version : has anyone tried this for winter riding?

itsflantastic
01-09-2011, 12:37 AM
http://gizmodo.com/5719594/zip-tie-snow-tires-the-cheapest-way-to-blizzard+proof-your-bike

Looks really cool too, aesthetically. Contemplating giving it a shot because there isn't enough clearance on my city bike for my nokion studded snow tires.

Braking seems to be an issue, but I do have a fixed gear. What's safer I wonder...

Happy new year

AngryScientist
01-09-2011, 08:46 AM
spiderman tried this little "trick", i believe he said it was only a few blocks before they started popping off...

spiderman
01-09-2011, 09:07 AM
spiderman tried this little "trick", i believe he said it was only a few blocks before they started popping off...

yes, you are correct...they all came off on snow packed roads!
i wondered why the don walker fixed drivetrain
was sounding so musical on it's maiden voyage...
then i could feel one or two of them get caught in the drivetrain.
by the time i figured out what was going on
and stopped to check
and get ready for the open road
they were already gone.
i did ride with greater confidence through the snowpack
thinking they were there, though!
...for more on that there's more of a full report
on the may i just say or the don walker threads...
in any case, a before and after shot for your enjoyment
the during shots aren't really worth looking at

A1CKot
01-09-2011, 09:15 AM
Did you only have them on the rear? I guess you could only do one wheel with caliper brakes. May give the one wheel, one brake thing a try.

Blue Jays
01-09-2011, 10:27 AM
Looks like a waste of perfectly good zip-ties. :D

martinrjensen
01-09-2011, 10:34 AM
I don't know if you are aware of this but there is a huge difference in quality between good quality industrial supply type tie wraps and the kind you buy in a package at the local discount hardware store for $5 to $7.00. A huge difference in price too. Industrial Electricial supply shops would have the good ones, and again, they aren't cheap. spiderman tried this little "trick", i believe he said it was only a few blocks before they started popping off...

dekindy
01-09-2011, 10:38 AM
I don't know if you are aware of this but there is a huge difference in quality between good quality industrial supply type tie wraps and the kind you buy in a package at the local discount hardware store for $5 to $7.00. A huge difference in price too. Industrial Electricial supply shops would have the good ones, and again, they aren't cheap.

That was my first thought also. Try the approved stubbed snow tire substitute zip ties next time. :D

jrennie
01-10-2011, 10:25 AM
seems like a cheap cross bike would be better and it also gives you an excuse to by another bike.