PDA

View Full Version : kmc chains for campy 10

don compton
01-08-2011, 05:30 PM
I am trying my first "KMC" chain. It shifts great just like a new Campy 5.9 chain.
Don C.

oldpotatoe
01-09-2011, 07:56 AM
I am trying my first "KMC" chain. It shifts great just like a new Campy 5.9 chain.
Don C.

Yep, my go to chain for people that don't want a Campagnolo chain. Works well, lasts well, etc.

kgreene10
01-09-2011, 12:40 PM
I have used the KMC x10sl for Shimano and SRAM over the past couple of years. It is far superior and much lighter than the high-end offerings from either of those two companies.

oldpotatoe
01-09-2011, 02:43 PM
I have used the KMC x10sl for Shimano and SRAM over the past couple of years. It is far superior and much lighter than the high-end offerings from either of those two companies.

'Far superior and much lighter'.....

14 grams lighter than a 7900 chain. They all shift well when new and last about the same amount of time. PLUS x10sl more expensive. I find the 105(5700)thru 7900 chains work well. The DX-10 KMC as well. More $ for a chain doesn't mean more longevity nor better performance. They are consumables, afterall.

kgreene10
01-10-2011, 01:57 AM
I had terrible luck with the DA 7800. It cost nearly as much as the KMC x10sl, wore out as quickly, and didn't shift as nicely. It also weighed 40 grams more. I didn't realize that the DA 7900 was only 14 grams heavier, having moved on from Shimano chains. I know have SRAM on one bike and just dispensed with the SRAM 1070 chain. It did last a lot longer, but wasn't nearly as smooth-shifting as the KMC. I'm no shill for the company, but I do appreciate good quality products. Oh, I also like the quicklink because I travel fairly often, though I recognize that other chains have that too.

Vancouverdave
01-10-2011, 09:36 AM
I sell KMC DX10S 5.88mm chains for bikes with all three systems. I like that they are more forgiving of cog wear than Campagnolo chains on Campy equipped bikes; they're less likely to skip on worn teeth.

Dave
01-10-2011, 10:01 AM
I sell KMC DX10S 5.88mm chains for bikes with all three systems. I like that they are more forgiving of cog wear than Campagnolo chains on Campy equipped bikes; they're less likely to skip on worn teeth.

I'm skeptical about that claim, particularly if the chain that wore the cogs enough to skip was another KMC.

Not all chains have the same roller diameter, so it's possible that a KMC chain with slightly smaller rollers might not skip if the cogs were worn with a Campy chain, first.

The best way to avoid new-chain skip is to use 3-4 chains, to a new one long before it reaches .5% elongaton. If you get the last chain into use without skip and continue alternating the chains, you'll never get any skipping and you can use each chain longer. There's no reason to trash at a chain at only .5% elongation when all the chains reach that amount, since you're no longer trying to avoid new-chain skip.

Another little known fact is that Campy chains elongate at a much lower rate than Shimano or KMC. A precision rule, used for measuring true elongation, may show a Campy chain to be hardly worn at 6,000 miles, but in reality it may be shot, with extremely worn rollers and nearly twice the original amount of side clearance. Shimano and KMC chains will both elongate to .5% long before that much mileage.

shiftyfixedgear
01-10-2011, 10:17 AM
Way back when I was taught that supposedly one of the only differences in chain design that affected wear and elongation was whether the manufacturer used pivot pins that were chrome plated for wear resistance. That's it. Does anyone have any idea if there is anything different chain manufacturers do
nowadays ?

DRZRM
01-10-2011, 10:47 AM
You talking about the KMC DX10SC 10? They still make a few different chains right?

Dave
01-10-2011, 02:08 PM
None of the pins I've ever seen are chrome plated. Campy pins/bushings wear far less than any other brand I've ever tested, based on the small amount of measured elongation, but the rollers don't wear far less than the others, they only wear a little better.

If you were to ride each brand the same 4,000 miles, the Campy chain would have far less elongation, but not much less roller wear. The other brands would have .5% elongation or more, so most people would toss them at that point.