PDA

View Full Version : your favorite bar tape

Fixed
01-08-2011, 01:15 PM
what is it cork cloth leather?
i have red and black splash cork tape now but .
I'm a black tape cat
i guess from my days as a messenger
cheers

William
01-08-2011, 01:16 PM
what is it cork cloth leather?
i have red and black splash cork tape now but .
I'm a black tape cat
i guess from my days as a messenger
cheers

No question, HandleBra.

William

Fixed
01-08-2011, 01:22 PM
http://www.handlebra.com/
you mean handlebro ?
.is it hard to get on?
um that doesn't sound right but you know what i mean
cheers imho

Charles M
01-08-2011, 01:25 PM
The first 8 spaces go to this stuff...

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/photos/tech/serotta/meiwhole.jpg

Space 9 goes to...

eh,

well it's been too long since Ive used anything else...

William
01-08-2011, 01:31 PM
http://www.handlebra.com/
you mean handlebro ?
.is it hard to get on?
um that doesn't sound right but you know what i mean
cheers imho

That's the stuff. And it isn't hard to get it on. ;)

William

victoryfactory
01-08-2011, 01:33 PM
I really want to try handlebra. I want to like it.
But every photo and real life installation I've seen
looks kind of "lumpy"
Am I too used to a smoother wrap?
Am I getting something wrong?
is it the cost?
is it the name?

I hope to get past these barriers some day soon and
try some. I think some shade of brown might look cool
with a brown Aliante on my turbo green legend which
could use a refresh after eight seasons.

btw I have always liked the Performance faux carbon tape
I bought a few years ago it wears like iron.

from LAX waiting for flight

VF

zetroc
01-08-2011, 01:34 PM
Fizik Microtex, black. Haven't tried Handlebra yet but will see about picking up a set.

Fixed
01-08-2011, 01:34 PM
what if your bike is vegan ?
cheers

victoryfactory
01-08-2011, 01:38 PM
real vegetarians wear leather
vegans are from space

VF

GONE4ARIDE
01-08-2011, 01:38 PM
I was a Cinelli cork lover for decades. Then I had a brief affair with Deda. Now I am a devout Fizik Microtex lover. Fizik has a great feel, is extremely durable and is easy to clean.

ckamp
01-08-2011, 01:50 PM
Ambrosio Leather Grain.

I have it in white, almost all dirt wipes clean off. Its the easiest to clean white tape I have found so far. Plus it has a nice slight perforation.

Some black type is here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/AMBROSIO-HANDLEBAR-TAPE-Leather-Grain-Look-BLACK-/200522825131?pt=AU_Sport_Cycling_Parts&hash=item2eb0177dab#ht_1409wt_905

ergott
01-08-2011, 01:56 PM
I got my HandleBra in green (thanks!).

http://ergottwheels.smugmug.com/Sports/The-bikes/Ottrott20102/899982413_GgVqS-XL.jpg

Dekonick
01-08-2011, 02:01 PM
Handlebra - hands down the winner. If you haven't tried it, then you can't make an honest assessment.

There is a reason so many top custom builders show with this stuff on their bikes... 'cuz it rox!

Fixed - if you want to try some, I'll bet Ray would be willing to give you a small sample (but it is easy to install, uninstall, and re-use. Can't say that about any cork crap!)

I have tried fake carbon wrap, cork from several mfg's, specialized wrap with the gel/foam, etc... Trust me - try this stuff!

Smiley
01-08-2011, 02:05 PM
Handle Bra and the bar ends now get the extra special NIPS treatment too :)

Fixed
01-08-2011, 02:15 PM
it looks like the finishing touch that a custom bike deserves
imho cheers

Ahneida Ride
01-08-2011, 04:01 PM
I really want to try handlebra. I want to like it.
But every photo and real life installation I've seen
looks kind of "lumpy"
Am I too used to a smoother wrap?
Am I getting something wrong?
is it the cost?
is it the name?

I hope to get past these barriers some day soon and
try some. I think some shade of brown might look cool
with a brown Aliante on my turbo green legend which
could use a refresh after eight seasons.

btw I have always liked the Performance faux carbon tape
I bought a few years ago it wears like iron.

from LAX waiting for flight

VF

VF

HB is specifically chamfered or beveled not to be lumpy.
The edges are finely skived. This takes a special skill set.
I invite you to compare the edges on HB to any other wrap.
The wrap should "melt" in to itself with use.
HB is specially formulated to lay flat.
You can pull on HB so get it tight.

Quite frankly, Lumpy wrap sucks and sucks big time.

Go ahead and order some. If you find it lumpppppy I will cheerfully
refund your frns and you can keep the wrap. There is zero risk.
Wrap over hockey tape for a lump free installation.

My goal is to build and offer the absolute best stuff out there.
It's all handcrafted right here in the good old USA to exacting standards
in very limited quantities.

HB can be also custom corded in about 20+ colors.

I am continuously make making small refinements so that the next iteration
is superior to its predecessors.

HB is USA made from exemplary materials. It's also handcrafted, and
hence the initial investment is high. I recognize this.
However, HB should endure, thus HB = value.

Fixed
01-08-2011, 04:08 PM
okay okay i am sold
i'll place my order
cheers

Ahneida Ride
01-08-2011, 04:27 PM
Thanks Fixed

Installation is easy .... Just do a few practice runs to get the "feel".

With just a little caution, one can get the overlaps to look even and
correct. Just play around a bit, it ain't hard to achieve an aesthetically
pleasing finished product.

Heck, even a schmuck like me can do a decent job.

dave thompson
01-08-2011, 04:54 PM
'Not lumpy' HandleBra on my bikes.

BumbleBeeDave
01-08-2011, 04:59 PM
HANDLE.

BRA.

I wrapped mine over hockey tape like Ray suggested and it's great. I have not had any experience with any, uh, lumpiness. Plus he has a Bazillion color combinations, all originating in the South American country of . . . Bazill!

And I am not just recommending it because Ray only lives a few miles away and could be peering in between the slats on my mini-blinds right now . . . :D

BBD

Fixed
01-08-2011, 05:02 PM
it is going on a cannondale ....

cheers

Ahneida Ride
01-08-2011, 05:43 PM
And I am not just recommending it because Ray only lives a few miles away and could be peering in between the slats on my mini-blinds right now . . . :D
BBD

I am .... and quite frankly ...HB was not designed for THAT !

yakstone
01-08-2011, 05:52 PM
If the HB had been available prior to my putting the Brooks' Black Leather wraps on my bikes I would have certainly given it a try. All of the reviews on here have been ravingly positive.

Ahneida Ride
01-08-2011, 06:00 PM
Should I do a Limited Run ?

I can get a good deal on the original HandleBra Leather.
This is the exact leather I used to build initial prototypes.
These are NOS hides.

the leather is a midnight blue .... almost black ...

Nice leather, but not water repellent.

I can pass the savings on.

rounder
01-08-2011, 06:00 PM
I have always used Cinelli or Deda cork tape and been happy. I ordered some handlebra in fine cigar for my new Bedford, and Ray added stitching that matched my bike. It looks and feels great. I used Smiley's idea of first wrapping the bar with thin surgical tape. It adds a little cushion without being fat.

false_Aest
01-08-2011, 06:07 PM
fizik if youre going on the cheap side

microtex is dope

their fake leather is dope too.

StellaBlue
01-08-2011, 06:21 PM
I dig the Fizik Micro..

http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/3465/img1807n.jpg (http://img515.imageshack.us/i/img1807n.jpg/)

http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/1707/img7108z.jpg (http://img407.imageshack.us/i/img7108z.jpg/)

maunahaole
01-08-2011, 06:22 PM
Ray's wrap is the ????e. Even the prototype is awesome. I have some prototype that I treated, per Ray's instruction, with Obenauf LP. It is plenty water repellent. I will caution you that it is sort of a messy and time consuming step, but the results are worth it. You can pull on this tape really hard to stretch it around corners, etc. If you dont like the result there is no anxiety about breaking the tape on the re-wrap. Buy with confidence. There is a lot of work and a lot of love in this product.

gone
01-08-2011, 06:25 PM
I have handle bra on one of my bikes and do like it but I'll also put a plug in here for Deda: almost impossible to tear, good grip, reasonable cushion (I don't like a huge amount) and bright colors (just about the only red that's actually RED).

Rada
01-08-2011, 06:28 PM
Deda Logo Tape. Looks great, feels great, just the right padding, tons of colors, long lasting, reusable, and you can usually find it for under $10.00.

Uncle Jam's Army
01-08-2011, 06:32 PM
Never tried HandleBra, but I'm really liking Lizard Skins.

legacysti888
01-08-2011, 06:34 PM
Ray's white aqueous cream treats and makes his bra very luxurious feeling.

That doesn't sound right.

dave thompson
01-08-2011, 07:07 PM
I didn't know he wore one! :D

swg
01-08-2011, 07:23 PM
Never tried HandleBra, but I'm really liking Lizard Skins.

+1

But I am sure thinking about HB on my white Atlanta when my Lizard Skin wears out. Would be fun to get Ray's opinion on color & stitching.

utdentite
01-08-2011, 07:27 PM
I've never tried leather. Obviously I need to.

BumbleBeeDave
01-08-2011, 08:01 PM
I didn't know he wore one! :D

. . . Ray wasn't peaking through MY blinds, I hied myself over to his house and peeked through HIS blinds armed with my trusty Flip video camera.

Not sure exactly what's going on here, but it LOOKS like Ray is researching a new product. At least, I hope that's all that's going on.

I didn't stick around to find out! :eek: ;)

BBD

jasond
01-08-2011, 08:10 PM
I run Fizik on one bike and Handlebra on another. The handlebra is very nice stuff. Wraps really well and has a great feel to it.

Erik.Lazdins
01-08-2011, 08:11 PM
I ordered some Hurricane Too Tall tarmac (aka black) and will install it on the refresh of the Ottrott

I may even post some pics

Thanks Ray

wc1934
01-08-2011, 08:37 PM
Last 2 wraps I used Look tape -had been using deda before that - will try handlebra next time around, if I can convince myself to part with the bucks.

Jeff N.
01-08-2011, 08:48 PM
For me, it was nothing but Cinelli for years. Now it's Fizik. The absolute best now, IMO. Deda a close second. Jeff N.

jrennie
01-10-2011, 11:49 AM
lizard skin is fantastic.

djg
01-10-2011, 12:00 PM
Fizik Microtex, black. Haven't tried Handlebra yet but will see about picking up a set.

For me too -- not necessarily black, but Fizik microtex of the tapes I've tried.

Ti Designs
01-10-2011, 12:10 PM
Y'all spend too much time looking at your bikes. I was on my bike for 5 hours this morning, I don't remember what kind of tape was on it. It was 20 degrees out and I was wearing lobster gloves so I don't know if I would have noticed any difference between the best and the worst tape. I did notice that the lobster gloves don't have any snot rag section - who designs these things?

StellaBlue
01-10-2011, 12:11 PM
Y'all spend too much time looking at your bikes. I was on my bike for 5 hours this morning, I don't remember what kind of tape was on it. It was 20 degrees out and I was wearing lobster gloves so I don't know if I would have noticed any difference between the best and the worst tape. I did notice that the lobster gloves don't have any snot rag section - who designs these things?

You're the coolest.. :rolleyes:

merckx
01-10-2011, 12:22 PM
Benotto for me. In white, thank you. Deda as back-up.

Ti Designs
01-10-2011, 12:37 PM
You're the coolest.. :rolleyes:

Nah, the cool kids all have sweet bikes with expensive handlebar tape - see above pictures.

dave thompson
01-10-2011, 01:31 PM
Nah, the cool kids all have sweet bikes with expensive handlebar tape - see above pictures.
But I'm not cool! Old maybe, but definitely not cool.

Mr. Squirrel
01-10-2011, 01:59 PM

cool is a state of mind. my nuts are cool. it does sound like your nuts were cool as well.

mr. squirrel

CPP
01-10-2011, 02:03 PM
Benotto for me. In white, thank you. Deda as back-up.

Where do you get that?

I had an old Guerciotti, champagne in color with yellow highlights and it had Benotto yellow bar tape. Monte of Italy (Aspen) hooked me up with the bike. The name Monte of Italy really stirs up the memories!!!!

I would love to find some in Benotto tape in white!

fiamme red
01-10-2011, 04:03 PM
I've been using Newbaum's cotton tape lately. It's available at my LBS and cheap. I like it so far.

Here's a review from Prolly:

http://prollyisnotprobably.com/2010/04/review_newbaums_cotton_cloth_b.php

FlashUNC
01-10-2011, 04:37 PM
Used to be Cinelli or bust, but I'm a Deda man now after a shop suggestion. Great stuff.

Fixed
01-10-2011, 05:03 PM
looks like everybody's got their own favorite ..just like wheels, saddles amd peddles
imho cheers
just wanted to buy my gal a new dress
thanks for the info
cheers

thinpin
01-10-2011, 05:15 PM
cool is a state of mind. my nuts are cool. it does sound like your nuts were cool as well.

mr. squirrel

Nuts should always be cool they work best that way.

thinpin
01-10-2011, 05:20 PM
Handlebra is the buisness. Hot and sweaty, or cool and wet it is by far the best.
Have it on 3 bikes, soon to be 4.
Eleganza perf is the second choice but a bit further behind.

climbgdh
01-10-2011, 05:21 PM
For me there is no question "Handlebra". I'm mister el cheapo & Handlebra is expensive but I have to admit this stuff is awesome. I've got it on 2 of my road bikes. I love the somewhat weathered / wore appearance my white Hurricane Handlebra tape as gotten after 5000 miles or so on my Merckx. It feels tres comfortable & cleans up extremely well. I'll never use anything else in the future. Deda was always my choice previously.

merckx
01-10-2011, 07:20 PM
Where do you get that?

I had an old Guerciotti, champagne in color with yellow highlights and it had Benotto yellow bar tape. Monte of Italy (Aspen) hooked me up with the bike. The name Monte of Italy really stirs up the memories!!!!

In the drawer beneath my work bench. However, I saw some for sale recently. I honestly cannot remember where. Do a Google.

BumbleBeeDave
01-10-2011, 07:23 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com/NOS-White-Benotto-Handlebar-Tape-The-Original-/270691121715?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f0672ba33

http://cgi.ebay.com/NOS-White-Benotto-Handlebar-Tape-Two-Packages-/270665034135?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f04e4a997

Here's some guy who has four rolls . . .

http://cgi.ebay.com/Handlebar-tape-Benotto-style-1970s-classic-x-4-deal-/280611630969?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts _SR&hash=item4155c1af79

BBD

djg
01-11-2011, 07:14 AM

The nice thing about living in a relatively stable universe is that you don't have to remember everything. Stuff tends to stay where it is, unless it's already going somewhere. Go back and look at the bike. Whatever tape is on there now is probably the same tape that was there when you were riding the bike.

And lobster gloves are designed by and for lobsters. No nasal cavities or sinuses, no snot. Hence, no need for any little snot rag section on the glove.

Dekonick
01-11-2011, 10:47 AM
The nice thing about living in a relatively stable universe is that you don't have to remember everything. Stuff tends to stay where it is, unless it's already going somewhere. Go back and look at the bike. Whatever tape is on there now is probably the same tape that was there when you were riding the bike.

And lobster gloves are designed by and for lobsters. No nasal cavities or sinuses, no snot. Hence, no need for any little snot rag section on the glove.

Is that why there is all of that green crap inside when you cut them (lobsters) in half?

Ti Designs
01-11-2011, 11:06 AM

The bike is hanging in my basement. The next time I see it will be at 5:45AM, and I doubt very much that I'll care about the tape then any more than I did last time. I'll finish my ride somewhere between 10:00 and 11:00AM and I'll be too tired to care, so I'll just hang the bike up. Sometime between now and the end of the winter I hope that someone breaks into my basement and retapes my fixed gear - not that I'll notice.

That would explain a lot about Pearl Izumi's clothing line as of late. Just saw the fall 2011 line, clearly nobody there rides a bike.

Volant
01-11-2011, 12:28 PM
Handlebra, Deda, and Microtex. In that order, but, I just picked up some S-Wrap and I'm really liking it! I'll need to see how it does while wet and how it wears, but it could be #1.

Mr. Squirrel
01-11-2011, 12:31 PM
That would explain a lot about Pearl Izumi's clothing line as of late. Just saw the fall 2011 line, clearly nobody there rides a bike.

"but i will sell it to you" <nuk nuk>

i have run into lots of cyclists who wear pearl izumi.

mr. squirrel