PDA

View Full Version : Should I buy the Hampsten...

phcollard
01-06-2011, 09:37 PM
I need a bit of help. I fell in love with the Hampsten Crema (http://www.hampsten.com/bikes/crema). In fact I wasn't really looking for another bike because I'm very happy with my Serotta but this one really caught my eye. My early justification was that the Crema takes bigger tyres, fenders, and it's Pegorichie, etc... Perfect all around/commuter and the Serotta would be my sports-oriented ride.

Anyways I got in touch with Steve at Hampco for a bit more info about this bike. We exchanged a lot of emails and Oh My he's such a nice guy and he seems to know everything about bicycles. He's really top notch.

So the idea progressed slowly into my mind and now I am almost pulling the trigger. I am having second thoughts though because there are so many nice bikes to purchase at unbelievable prices nowadays. I'm just a normal guy with no big pile of cash and a crema is still $2k. Frame only.

So I'm having "prospect remorse" if I may say :D I'd like to have it, but I don't really need it, and I'm afraid I could possibly experience some real remorse after the purchase?

Help? Anyone felt like this before me? Must be.

My name is Philippe and I am in love with a Hampsten.

Thank you.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_aiTLRxFg-oI/S5aYrYKbc9I/AAAAAAAABUA/GgxvgSx0EnQ/s400/web.jpg

justinf
01-06-2011, 09:38 PM
You will never regret it, I assure you. How's that?

robertt8883
01-06-2011, 09:48 PM
You did all your homework now buy it and enjoy it. I feel the same way on every project when its done i love it.

BobbyJones
01-06-2011, 09:52 PM
If you're thinking about it, no matter which "nice bike you purchase at an unbelievable price" you'll always be thinking about this one.

If 2k is just not doable, then hey, It's ok to want. Otherwise life's too short!

akelman
01-06-2011, 09:53 PM
Should I buy the Hampsten...

Yes. It's as simple as that. By all accounts it's a great frame, thoughtfully designed and expertly crafted, and the people who run the company are, as you've experienced, fantastic. Really, you'll be happy every time you ride it. No, that's wrong. You'll be happy every time you think about it. You'll be overjoyed every time you ride it.

riceburner
01-06-2011, 09:54 PM
At $2k I think this is one of the best all around bikes you could get. I got a Hampsten last year and its great.

tuxbailey
01-06-2011, 09:55 PM
I don't know anything about it (I am ignorant) but I know that you are obsessed with it. So if you don't get it then you will just be thinking about it all day.

So in essence, just do it. And please post pictures.

akelman
01-06-2011, 09:56 PM
one of the best all around bikes

This. Such a smart and beautiful bike: will take fenders but can fly.

TMB
01-06-2011, 10:04 PM
I need a bit of help. I fell in love with the Hampsten Crema (http://www.hampsten.com/bikes/crema). In fact I wasn't really looking for another bike because I'm very happy with my Serotta but this one really caught my eye. My early justification was that the Crema takes bigger tyres, fenders, and it's Pegorichie, etc... Perfect all around/commuter and the Serotta would be my sports-oriented ride.

Thank you.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_aiTLRxFg-oI/S5aYrYKbc9I/AAAAAAAABUA/GgxvgSx0EnQ/s400/web.jpg

Here's an idea.

Take the ideas for what you want, and phone Hugh Black at True North in Guelph.

He's been at it for a long time and does Ti as well ....

Ahneida Ride
01-06-2011, 10:50 PM
Make sure you are receiving a spectacular deal on a used frame/bike if you pass on this beauty.

rugbysecondrow
01-07-2011, 05:46 AM
I have never ridden a Crema, but it is such a beautiful bike, and it seems you clicked with the guy there. Go for it.

tele
01-07-2011, 06:00 AM
this bike can do it all so you are really buying more than bike, and you want it, so really you are saving money in the long run, and not taking up more space in the house, and you want it, and it is so beautiful, and you want it, and it is classic, and you want it.

doooooooooo ittttttttttttt.

AngryScientist
01-07-2011, 06:40 AM
the only real reason i could see regretting the purchase is if it causes you some real financial hardship. if you can afford to do it without sacrificing something else that is important to you or your family, you should definitely do it. in a year or two you will have forgotten the price, but the bike should always be there.

since it sounds like you've already made up your mind, what are the build plans??

drewski
01-07-2011, 06:59 AM
When you get the Hampsten what makes you think the bike lust will stop there?

FlashUNC
01-07-2011, 07:12 AM
I was thisclose to placing an order for a Crema last year after talking to Steve out there. Had some unexpected expenses come up last summer and had to put it off for a while, but I agree. If you can swing it, why not? It looks like a great bike and a good deal from some excellent builders.

snah
01-07-2011, 07:18 AM
Here's an idea.

Take the ideas for what you want, and phone Hugh Black at True North in Guelph.

He's been at it for a long time and does Ti as well ....

Hush, you're not helping.... :)

dancinkozmo
01-07-2011, 07:37 AM
..if money is tight and you happen to ride a 55 or 56 frameset, wait for their yard sale. if youre patient you can score a really good deal ....i picked up a nice team pro frameset with a king headset for 1600 shipped last year. it looked brand new aside from some marks on the dropouts when the QR skewers were tightened. steve even threw in a signed poster of andy....

oldpotatoe
01-07-2011, 07:46 AM

Anyways I got in touch with Steve at Hampco for a bit more info about this bike. We exchanged a lot of emails and Oh My he's such a nice guy and he seems to know everything about bicycles. He's really top notch.

So the idea progressed slowly into my mind and now I am almost pulling the trigger. I am having second thoughts though because there are so many nice bikes to purchase at unbelievable prices nowadays. I'm just a normal guy with no big pile of cash and a crema is still $2k. Frame only.

So I'm having "prospect remorse" if I may say :D I'd like to have it, but I don't really need it, and I'm afraid I could possibly experience some real remorse after the purchase?

Help? Anyone felt like this before me? Must be.

Thank you.

Pretty expensive for what appears to be like a Gunnar Sport, which is about 1/2 the price.

phcollard
01-07-2011, 11:24 AM
Thanks a lot all you've been of great help. Nothing like a nice group therapy :)

Now one last question : would you go for a new Hampsten Crema @ $2k or a used IF Club Racer @1k?

fiamme red
01-07-2011, 11:26 AM
Pretty expensive for what appears to be like a Gunnar Sport, which is about 1/2 the price.To my eye, this Hampsten is more attractive than a Gunnar Sport. But for $2,000, I'd want lugs or fillet-brazing, not TIG.

phcollard
01-07-2011, 11:30 AM
To my eye, this Hampsten is more attractive than a Gunnar Sport. But for $2,000, I'd want lugs or fillet-brazing, not TIG.

I thought about this one and asked Steve Hampsten. None of his builders want to do fillets and lugs are for another (more expensive) model.

rugbysecondrow
01-07-2011, 11:51 AM
Coincidentally, here are some photos of a similar bike Mr. Bedford is building for me. Not to disuade you from the Crema at all, just an example of one in the making. http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=83842

I wanted couplers and rack mounts, but otherwise it will be similar. The Crema was one of the inspirations for my Bedford.

akelman
01-07-2011, 12:09 PM
That bike is going to be all kinds of awesome, rugby.

phcollard
01-07-2011, 12:13 PM
Coincidentally, here are some photos of a similar bike Mr. Bedford is building for me. Not to disuade you from the Crema at all, just an example of one in the making. http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=83842

I wanted couplers and rack mounts, but otherwise it will be similar. The Crema was one of the inspirations for my Bedford.

Very very nice indeed!

akelman
01-07-2011, 12:20 PM
I just sent you a PM, Philippe.

bronk
01-07-2011, 12:22 PM
Only buy a $2k commuter bike if you plan to ride it a lot. If it sits and collects dust, you will be rethinking your decision imho.

phcollard
01-07-2011, 12:26 PM
Only buy a $2k commuter bike if you plan to ride it a lot. If it sits and collects dust, you will be rethinking your decision imho.

For that I am relieved because I ride 30km everyday just for commuting from April 'till October/November. That saves me $450 in bus tickets alone :beer:

Pete Serotta
01-07-2011, 01:14 PM
Can not go wrong with STEVE. Products are first class and additionally - He has been very successful in all types and in sizing from a "distance" (

Send him a note or a call and tell him that I will buy the first round when I see him at the show in AUSTIN for his info to you .. (and yes you buy when I am in CANADA./ PETE :beer: :beer:

97CSI
01-07-2011, 03:06 PM
If you go for the Bedford you can drive down to upstate NY and get fit and then return to pick up your completed bike.

Pete Serotta
01-07-2011, 03:14 PM
If you go for the Bedford you can drive down to upstate NY and get fit and then return to pick up your completed bike.

Also if SMILEY is not up there give a call to Steve Fairchild or Paraic and they will fit you and they can blame me. PETE

johnnymossville
01-07-2011, 03:17 PM
For that I am relieved because I ride 30km everyday just for commuting from April 'till October/November. That saves me $450 in bus tickets alone :beer:

The bike will pay for itself in NO TIME!!! I think I may just use this tactic on my wife for my next bike purchase.

:)

Get the Hampsten.

Smiley
01-07-2011, 05:12 PM
The bike must fit or like Johnny sez, if the glove don't fit u can't convict :)

I think that when u buy it should fit period, so send a fewfrns and get one that has no excuses on fit :banana:

miguel
01-07-2011, 05:33 PM
buy the bike

but get huffy decals

Uncle Jam's Army
01-07-2011, 07:40 PM
What are you waiting for?

DO IT!

pjmsj21
01-08-2011, 02:18 PM
Your asking this group if you should buy a bike? Kind of like asking a pusher if you should buy drugs......buy the bike.

Pat Mc

Fixed
01-08-2011, 02:24 PM
it rides like buttah
imho
cheers

kohlboto
01-08-2011, 03:21 PM
as someone who has a man-crush on all things Hampsten and the proud owner of a Crema I can say, unequivocally, you will not regret letting the boys at Hampco build your next frame...

rePhil
01-09-2011, 02:52 PM
How do you know how it rides?

it rides like buttah
imho
cheers

Fixed
01-09-2011, 03:08 PM
How do you know how it rides?
i said i bet
cheers