PDA

View Full Version : What am I doing wrong??

MallyG
02-02-2004, 02:16 PM
Recently, whilst in the States, I followed the example of many Serotta posters, and brought home two bottles of Dumonde Tech (lite and regular).
I completely degreased my chain, cleaned the front and rear mech until they shone, then applied the new lube. After one ride, my chain looks like it has been hauled through black tar. The chainwheels and rear cogs appear to be covered in black grease. Please tell me... where did I go wrong?

Ozz
02-02-2004, 03:21 PM
You probably put on too much.

Just wipe off the ooey gooey mess with a dry rag until your chain and chainrings are shiny again. "Floss" your cogs with some string until it is clean.

The instructions say that "sound" not "appearance" is the best indicator that Dumonde Tech is working. As long as your drivetrain is quiet - you've got no problems!

:beer:

Ginger
02-02-2004, 04:13 PM
I only get the black tar effect when I don't follow instructions or put on too much...or when I haven't cleaned out the degreaser thouroughly.

If you've put on enough dumonde Tech to see it? You've put on WAY too much!

shinomaster
02-02-2004, 09:11 PM
the best way to keep that chain clean is to be like me...and not ride the bike. My serotta has sat in my room since september just collecting dust. The chain is still squeaky clean!

gwk
02-03-2004, 12:10 AM
Okay, I bought some Dumonde Tech and some Slick Willy. Which one should I use?? :confused: :confused: :confused: I've got till it thaws out here to decide.

victoryfactory
02-03-2004, 07:58 AM
I tried the Dumonde after reading about it here.
I like the Pro-Link better and have switched back to it.

VF

Bill Bove
02-03-2004, 08:43 AM
Still using the Pedro's here. I use a little turkey baster/hyperdermic thingie to apply less than a drop to each link and ride it for 500 miles between re-lubes.

Doc Hollywood
02-03-2004, 12:01 PM
Yep. You've found out what most people have is the DuMonde stuff is hard to apply and often overapplied. That black tarry mess is just the plastic polymer stuff in the lube collecting all the junk.

I tried DuMonde stuff and could never not apply too much. Even the Lite version, which is supposed to be "thinned" regular was still difficult. I understand the need to not overlube, but I felt that getting the right amount of this stuff on/in the chain was pushing the point of being anal.

I also didn't like a black tarry chain, so I switched to another lube brand that I am most happy with. No dark chain, no dirt, and it last as long or longer than D'Tech.

Doc

Kevin
02-03-2004, 06:19 PM
Try Prolink. It is much more user friendly than the rest. It also has a decent lifespan on the bike.

Kevin