PDA

View Full Version : 30,000 mile Flite Italia road test

Doc Austin
05-13-2005, 01:42 PM
This is the first in a series of long range product road tests. The Flite Italia has long been a favorite amoung roadies for it's light weight and compact size. When I first saw one I thought it was a torture device, but after 30,000 miles I liked it so much that I have replaced it with another. After a few adjustment rides the seat proved to be very comfortable, and I never had any sort of problem with it except for normal wear and tear.

This Flite Italia seat came on my Serotta CSI. I bought the bike used and really don't have any idea how much time or how many miles it had on it before. Perviously I had ridden a San Marcos Rolls, so the little Italia looked awfully uncomfortable by comparison.

Well, we are 30,000 miles down the road and the seat has served me so well it has been a non issue. As you can see, it is well past the point of being asthetically appealing (as if something you sit on could have such), but it is still functional. The leather is well and truely whipped out at this point and peeling off the seat's plastic base. You can see on the left rear corner that the seat has indeed slid on the road, but I was more worried about my a** at that point that scratching my seat.

So there is no mistake, I am quite frankly surprised it doesn't look worse.

The titanium rails, however have held up extremely well, and in fact, I am cutting them out, giving them to my jeweler and having a new wedding ring made out of them. Hey, you don't just throw away something that you've had up your butt for 30,000 miles.

Final nail: I think I got my money out of this product and have not only bought another, but when I bought my Legend Titanium I specified this seat for that bike as well.

Disclaimer: The preceeding is the author's personal experience, or lack thereof. The views and experiences expressed here are not necessarilly the opinion or personal experiences of..........well, they aren't necessarilly the opinion or personal experience anyone else.

Too Tall
05-13-2005, 01:52 PM
I genuflect in your general direction sir. Awesome.

Kurt
05-13-2005, 02:37 PM
you will never get that kind of mileage out of a new one http://www.bicyclebuys.com/ had them for $ 40 for the plain blk one so I bought 2 for the bikes - super thin leather is all I can say, it would appear that this model has taken a back burner to their other offerings. That said, I cannot imagine ever using anything else. I heard that you did all that mileage in 2 years! :D

Sandy
05-13-2005, 02:48 PM
Neat thread. Looking forward to more tests like that.

Long Term Sandy

vaxn8r
05-13-2005, 03:07 PM
The Flite sits atop all my road bikes...7 in all (well 6, as I just sold the Merkx). Mine don't last 30k but they do last a long time. I have a new one, still in the plastic wrapper waiting for the next replacement.

Please keep making this saddle.

Doc, judging by the photo...your's didn't really last 30K either.

weisan
05-13-2005, 03:19 PM
Hey Doc, you have accomplished the I-M-P-O-S-S-I-B-L-E!!!

Like you, I LOVE my flite ti...but those that comes with G-E-L.

According to Newton's 3rd Law: "Every action has an equal and opposite reaction".

I can see the **damage** you have done to your saddle. Would you be kind enough to show us the other part of the photograph that depicts the better half of your body? ;)

Tell you what, I just got a very nice Flite Ti "Gel" from Spidey to replace the other Flite Ti saddle I've got. It's the no-gel version, just like the one you have except it's white and has red accent on the rear side. It's in good condition and looks like it has exactly 29,999 miles left in it. If you want, I will send it over completely F.O.C. + shipping is on me, if you care to provide your mailing address.

weisan

musgravecycles
05-15-2005, 10:40 AM
This saddle has well over 30,000 miles on it, It was given to me in 1998 by my girlfriend at the time. I have used and worn out several other newer flites that haven't lasted near as long. She has become my 'lucky' saddle as I have been unable to kill her (nor do I wish to).

Everytime I get a new bike (which isn't that often) she is the first saddle that gets put on it, usually just for the maiden voyage...

tch
05-15-2005, 11:02 AM
nm

saab2000
05-15-2005, 11:03 AM
If you find a saddle (or any product you like) get several and stock up. It seems as though as soon as there is a saddle which is universally appealing the makers quickly replace it with something else.

Case in point: the Selle Italia Turbomatic. This was one of the most well loved in the pro arena, but is no longer on the market. I have 3 of them. The turbomatic may still be available, but it is not the same as the old one.

E-bay has all sorts of good deals on seats.

Too Tall
05-15-2005, 04:53 PM
Saab-o-matic, that works somethimes not always for dopes like me. I used to love Rolls saddles and had several "in waiting" :rolleyes: HATE em now and the foam got hard has a rock. Sheesh.