PDA

View Full Version : Ahh...California winters

Steve in SLO
01-05-2011, 10:19 PM
Riding along nice singletrack with recently added 'water feature' courtesy of recent rains and sunset over Pismo Pier.

fourflys
01-05-2011, 10:44 PM
yeah, it's rough....

this was New Year's Eve morning... :D
http://threeflys.smugmug.com/Sports/Cycling/IMG1058/1142740106_nqg6L-L.jpg

whforrest
01-05-2011, 11:44 PM
el dorado hills, nor cal

cincytri
01-06-2011, 07:35 AM
I hope that you guys know how good you have it. Not sure if I would trade straight-up for the higher cost of living, but seeing these photos makes it tempting. Enjoy...

Dave B
01-06-2011, 07:41 AM
I am teachign my kids about earthquakes right now and you can have your winters...cause as soon as the big one hits and Denver becomes beachfront property, i don't mind being cold!

btulloch
01-06-2011, 08:45 AM
I used to live in Cupertino for an internship when I was working on my undergrad degree. Instead of heading back there when I finished, I decided to move to Montreal to get more schooling..

-12C (10F) today..

Should have thought this one through a bit better!
:crap:

norcalbiker
01-06-2011, 09:34 AM
I hope that you guys know how good you have it. Not sure if I would trade straight-up for the higher cost of living, but seeing these photos makes it tempting. Enjoy...

It's all relative my friend. I used live in Chicago and I really don't feel the difference. In fact the reason I moved here 20 years ago to have a better living for my family. I would never go back.

Lovetoclimb
01-06-2011, 09:38 AM
Not that Ohio is particularly miserable, but this mornings 12 miles to work in 20F with steady headwind definitely helped me prepare for early spring races. Up and at work all before the sun came up, approx 2 miles of climbing, backpack fully loaded, and 0 temptation to crush the pace. Hopefully I am gaining ground on my Cat 3/4 competition, but the hardmen of the CX scene here are coming out of their time off the bike and beginning base training. Could make for some serious racing in March!

That being said, if anyone is looking for an enthusiastic young engineer or cycling team manager, I would gladly give up my jobs here and venture west! Happy riding out there everyone, it truly is enlightening from my experiences.

fourflys
01-06-2011, 09:46 AM
I am teachign my kids about earthquakes right now and you can have your winters...cause as soon as the big one hits and Denver becomes beachfront property, i don't mind being cold!

I used to say that when I lived in Indiana too.... :D

Ken Robb
01-06-2011, 10:01 AM
yeah, it's rough....

this was New Year's Eve morning... :D
http://threeflys.smugmug.com/Sports/Cycling/IMG1058/1142740106_nqg6L-L.jpg

Where is this?

Ken Robb
01-06-2011, 10:09 AM
The COL isn't THAT bad. Housing is expensive, groceries are about the same or slightly less, we don't need winter clothing, and heat/ac cost in the coastal climate zone is pretty cheap. The biggest utility bill I ever had was about $175.

For now Uncle Sam is still subsidizing home buying via interest expense on home loans being tax deductible so the net extra cost of housing may be less than it appears at first glance.

OTOH, forget all of this: we have enough people already. Ooooooh, the earthquakes, tsunamis, sun burn, gas from too much Mexican food, and many other terrible things. :)

fourflys
01-06-2011, 11:45 AM
Where is this?

Ken, this is in the Del Luz area off Camino Del Sur right before you get to San Digueito (sp?) Road...

Ken Robb
01-06-2011, 12:02 PM
Ken, this is in the Del Luz area off Camino Del Sur right before you get to San Digueito (sp?) Road...
I just drove that road New Year's Eve but it was dark. Nice view.

Ray
01-06-2011, 12:25 PM
Ever since I mostly stopped riding December through February (not completely, but almost never), I've grown to love east coast winters. I didn't like riding through them because, while it kept me in marginally better shape, it was not much fun. Now I walk a lot, play in the snow when we have it, and don't actually start getting cabin fever until late February, and by then we usually start getting the first sort of nice days and I start thinking about riding again.

Embracing the four seasons, YEAH baby!! YEAH!! (to paraphrase Austin Powers)

-Ray