PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else with young kids?

oldguy00
01-05-2011, 07:45 PM
All my friends are either not married, or married but don't have kids. All get tons of training in. I have a 7 month old and a 4 year old, and my wife and I have no family/relatives in the same city as us.
My day starts at 6AM, get myself and the 4 year old ready, drop him at daycare, head for work. 45 minute weights or run at lunch.
Pick up little guy at 4:45PM, home at 5:15, dinner, baths, play, etc. kids asleep by 9.
I'm freakin exhausted all the time. In theory, I have all night to get on the trainer, but mentally and physically, just don't have it lately.
I'm sitting here gulping a super strong cup of coffee, getting ready to force myself onto the trainer for hopefully an hour.
How do you other parents get training in!??!

ultraman6970
01-05-2011, 07:56 PM
I have a 3 and a 4 y/o... same situation. The only way for you to train is at home and maybe using a trainer watching tv. During the weekends hmmm... thats a who knows because all depends on your wife, the 4 y/o must be pretty active and the baby needs a lot of care so if your wife is like mine it wont be a good idea to leave her alone with the two kids.

I'm been retired since 1995 but the only thing i can tell you is this, do not sacrifice the equilibrium in your house with the cycling,

Well this is my experience, how you could sort it out :)

Fixed
01-05-2011, 07:59 PM
All my friends are either not married, or married but don't have kids. All get tons of training in. I have a 7 month old and a 4 year old, and my wife and I have no family/relatives in the same city as us.
My day starts at 6AM, get myself and the 4 year old ready, drop him at daycare, head for work. 45 minute weights or run at lunch.
Pick up little guy at 4:45PM, home at 5:15, dinner, baths, play, etc. kids asleep by 9.
I'm freakin exhausted all the time. In theory, I have all night to get on the trainer, but mentally and physically, just don't have it lately.
I'm sitting here gulping a super strong cup of coffee, getting ready to force myself onto the trainer for hopefully an hour.
the best days of your life when you look back in a few years imho
cheers

Steve in SLO
01-05-2011, 08:01 PM
You've decided to have kids so accept that you will need to turn your focus outward towards kids and family.
The first several years are the most difficult, since the kids need constant parenting and any time spent single parenting will leave you exhausted. After a bit you hit your stride, the kids get easier and more self-sufficient and it becomes easier for one parent at a time to sneak out for some 'me' time.
If you spend your time always looking to squeeze more training in you will come to resent your kids and miss out on some beautiful times. This will only embitter you, so don't do it.

I can tell you it gets better. By the time my youngest was about 3, I was back to training pretty hard, but always with permission and with a 'thank you' from me when I came back.

Dekonick
01-05-2011, 08:06 PM
I have given up on long rides. I know that until both of my kids are in elementary school life will revolve around their schedules and I will just live with it for now. The time with the kids is worth it IMHO. You can always train, but you never get the time with your kids back. Ever. :beer:

Somehow Rugby manages to get quite a bit of training in. Right now, I am multi tasking (scanning in docs... fun!)

rugbysecondrow
01-05-2011, 08:07 PM
Sounds like my life. :)

It is hard, but getting to bed early matters, sleeping well when you can, and keep working out at lunch. I have a gym at work, so I am able to maximize that time pretty well. When it is warmer out, you can use a trailer to get some rides in. I also try to ride on weekend days, either early or when the kids nap. It is really just catch as catch can. I try to be willing to work in a ride whenever I can, 35 minutes up to 3 hours. Something is better than nothing for me. I also changed how I workout in that I incorporate exercises I can do at home (kettle bells, pull ups, pistol squats, push ups etc).

Try eating better, try having a more set schedule that you do things and when your wife does things. Planning ahead makes it easier to stick to it. I also try to encourage my wife to get out first, then I fill in the blanks.

It is not easy but it is worth it.

protege55
01-05-2011, 08:10 PM
Focus on kids and family first, then training/racing second...if you don't, a few years from now you'll regret the decisions you made...I'm repeating what others have already said because its worth repeating...make good choices now and it'll pay dividends later.

that being said, my wife is a distance runner and I'm a cyclist. We get up during the week at 4:45a and one of us heads out while the other trains indoors so as to make sure the kiddos are good. Its the choice we make (crazy or not) because we enjoy what we do. In fact, if one or both of us doesn't get the workout in, it's a bit of a set off, and frankly sets off the whole family (here in the south, there's a sayin' that if momma ain't happy, ain't no one happy). The other thing I will say is that having kids that notice that both mom and dad are very active, enjoy being active, and have goals and try to achieve them (my kids are a little older than yours), they in turn want similar things.

Plus, there is nothing better than having your son and daughter screaming at you to go faster at a local crit, then lose and have to explain why you lost ("daddy, why didn't you win? do you need more sleep? did you not train enough") - it brings levity back to a situation that prior to kids, I would have been pissed off about - now, I'm just happy to be doing it.

Keep at it - I'd venture a guess that the majority of folks around here have been in your shoes, and have lived to tell about it with accolades and awards abounding...good luck, and make sure you remember why you have your family! Enjoy it all.

thenewguy11
01-05-2011, 08:14 PM
For me, if I'm not traveling for work, I usually take a 90 minute lunch for either a run or a ride on the trainer I brought to the office. That way when I get home, I don't have to try to get a workout in. Weekends are usually split duty with my wife so we can both get a workout in. We only have a 18 month old so that's manageable for us.

My wife's solution is to get up at 5am to get on the elliptical. That's just not for me (not a morning person), so I usually take care of the little guy in the morning.

AngryScientist
01-05-2011, 08:15 PM
my wife is pregnant with our first on the way in May!!

yikes!

Fixed
01-05-2011, 08:21 PM
lunch time workout mandatory imho
cheers

Dekonick
01-05-2011, 08:24 PM

yikes!

Congratulation! Your life is about to change for the better! Just wait until you hold the little critter for the first time... Some of my best memories are when my boys were just weeks old... I would hold them on my chest while they slept... skin to skin. (skin to skin is important for bonding - do it!)

Best advice I can give any new parent : get this http://www.amazon.com/Happiest-Baby-Block-Crying-Longer/dp/B0006J021C/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1294280620&sr=1-1

scrub
01-05-2011, 08:32 PM
So its not just me!? I have a 3 yo and a 4 yo, my wife works evenings and I work days so getting any together time or any me time is very hard.

Since I work for the Parks Dept. I manage to work out on lunch (alternate swim/run) but getting some riding in is hard, usually one long(er) ride a week during nap time. Not to worry soon enough it will be summer and I get to ride between my two offices, only 5 miles each way but sometimes I sneek in the longer 15 mile route!

bfd
01-05-2011, 08:48 PM
I'm a single parent. My wife passed away in 2007 when my girls were only 6 and 8. I have a little help, but am basically raising them alone. I use to ride with a great group of guys every weekend doing rides that range from 40-60+ miles with lots of climbing. Good times.

Now, my weekends are booked doing stuff with the girls. No more riding on weekends. However, I do ride as I've taken to commuting by bike. My route to work is only 10 mile round trip, but I live on a hill and have a nice little climb. It takes me 20 minutes to get to work, all downhill and flat. However, 45+ minutes coming home. So it is better than nothing.

Note, if you do commute, invest in a bike that can take full fenders. I live in SF and in the mornings the roads can be quite wet. Fenders work wonders keeping things dry.

These days, I probably get out 10 to a dozen times a year on ride 40 miles or so. When I do, I love ever minute of it and really appreciate the entire ride. Yes, I'm totally out of shape, but the pain is the best part, right?! :crap: :beer: :butt:

So, my recommendation is to see if you can squeeze a ride or two into your commute to work. Depending on your route (mileage, climbs, etc.), you can get a workout or at least some miles in and may be a little fitness. Good Luck!

djg
01-05-2011, 09:05 PM
When things get hectic, I just remind myself that someday I'll look back on this, and what I'll remember most is nothing. Not even my own name. That always cheers me up.

The baby days are gone for us. 8, 8, and 13. But, you know.

Really, it's a project. A joy and a gift and a project. Anything under a year is really young. You just have to take the long view. By summer, the baby may be old enough for a bike trailer. In the meantime, you have to look for ways to keep fresh. And you have to remind yourself what you already know, as evidenced by your crappy schedule and exhaustion: you're needed off the bike right now and you'll work out the time to ride before long -- don't sweat the idea of a season this year.

If you're running a bit, and lifting a bit, maybe just some short blocks of roller time here and there -- early or late, easy spin a couple of days and wind it up a couple of days. I know that you mentioned dropping off a child at day care, but is there any way to ride to work a couple of days a week? If you need a car for the drop off, maybe there's a place to park nearby, or half way, so you still get a few miles?

Hang in there.

oldguy00
01-05-2011, 09:15 PM
Thanks all.
Just to clarify, I in no way regret or resent my kids! :)
I resent the damn indoor trainer!! heh heh.
My favorite part of the day is picking the 4 year old up at daycare.
I just tend to feel guilty and a bit disappointed about always having that extra ten pounds to lose and not being in racing shape any longer..
I usually get an hour and a half of outside ride time on the weekends, but otherwise it's all indoors along with running at lunch during the week.
I'm 37, so I figure I'll be back to full training around age 50.. :)
:beer:

tuxbailey
01-05-2011, 09:15 PM
I think the only time I can ride is when commute with my bike, and that is not a daily thing.

I am waiting patiently until my daughter is old enough to have group/class activities so I can do more long rides. Who knows, maybe I can actually try group rides.

Enjoy your kinds now, specially when they are toddler. My daughter just turned three and it is so much fun to be with her.

oldguy00
01-05-2011, 09:17 PM
Long story short, commuting on bike isn't an option.
I do hope to get my son into biking. But this winter I'll hopefully be taking him to the ski hill for the first time. Counting on some father/son ski trips to New England in eight to ten years... :)

93legendti
01-05-2011, 09:51 PM
Make sure you are drinking more water than you need, Winter can be tricky and I have to drink more than I "want".

Be creative and when life gets in the way roll with it:

Yesterday we got called at 6:00 am - my 7 yr old's school was closed for the day. Today, the furnace went out and I had to wait here all day for the repairman (who came at 6:00). I had rides planned each day-oh well. I had a window yesterday at 4:00 pm, but after last week's thaw, wet snow was falling . The pavement was wet and I took a pass.

Luckily, I got in a brisk walk last night and again 1rst thing this morning.
I'll do wall sits in a few minutes.

My wonderful grandmother used to say "three times makes a habit". Force yourself to ride 3 days in a row or 3 out of 4. It may become habit and thus easier to do.

chuckred
01-05-2011, 10:05 PM
Just the other day I had my first child. All of a sudden, she brought my granddaughter over to play. It goes fast! Enjoy it now!

Ken Robb
01-05-2011, 10:19 PM

yikes!

and you think you're angry now? :)

chismog
01-05-2011, 10:21 PM
OldGuy, I have a 3 and a 6 year old. I totally feel your pain. There's some real nuggets in these responses, pick through them carefully.

I would add: it's true you get your life back. The kids grow up a little and get more self sufficient. You still have to be there all the time but it's not quite as much of a drain.

Something that really helped my wife (also a cyclist) and I was to have one or two set times per week where each of us gets to do whatever. As another post said, if it is set in stone you are less likely to blow it off, and when everyone understands and expects the routine there's no resentment or guilt. You have your thing one day, your wife gets hers the next. Not only do you get your workout/playtime in, but when it's your turn to be with the kids it can be really fun because it's your special time, just you and them... you know? We found that the free pass once a week really recharges the batteries. Maybe this will work for you too.

Best of luck, amigo. Like the others said, these are special times even if they are difficult. Maybe it will make the time you actually do get on your bike that much more fun and meaningful, and make you appreciate it more. It sure did for me....

pdmtong
01-05-2011, 11:12 PM
my daughter is now 11. all those years on the bike path from age 2.5 mean she can now single track, ride 30/2000' road, downhill at northstar-at-tahoe the advanced intermediates, and we both lined up for CX his year. I'd rather ride with her than do some epic thing by myself.

the main thing here is that now life is different. so you'll have to view and do things through a different lens than before. it's not possible to do everything as you used to anymore. so don't frustrate yourself and attempt to keep things as they were. reset your expectations and everything will work out great

HenryA
01-05-2011, 11:20 PM
Just the other day I had my first child. All of a sudden, she brought my granddaughter over to play. It goes fast! Enjoy it now!

+1000

vqdriver
01-05-2011, 11:31 PM
1 & 3 yo here
Ride time didn't take a hit until the second but now I have a more expensive and more fun pastime :)

snah
01-06-2011, 12:01 AM
Thanks all.
I just tend to feel guilty and a bit disappointed about always having that extra ten pounds to lose and not being in racing shape any longer..
I usually get an hour and a half of outside ride time on the weekends, but otherwise it's all indoors along with running at lunch during the week.
I'm 37, so I figure I'll be back to full training around age 50.. :) :beer:

Thought I was on my way there this time last year, wife and I had 3, 14, 12 and 9. Then came the 4th gift. So, figuring I should be able to retire when I hit 70, ride whenever I want, oh probably also at 70. But, wouldn't trade it for anything. Shame that commuting doesn't work, it's how I get the majority of my miles.

tele
01-06-2011, 06:23 AM
Thanks all.
I'm 37, so I figure I'll be back to full training around age 50.. :)
:beer:
to me this is pure and simple frustration. I am 37 as well, my kids are 7 and 5 though. When they were younger, much harder to get out and ride. Now it is easier, but not 5 hour ride easy either.

Something that has worked well for my wife and I (she plays soccer 3-4 times a week) we let each have the exercise time, it is better for everyone. It really helps us keep things going in the right direction.

Ray
01-06-2011, 06:51 AM
When they're little and demand all of your time, its frustrating - I remember. But as others have said, it goes by SOOOOOOOOO damn fast. Enjoy it, drink it in, soak it up. The cycling will be there for you in a few years - ride when you get a chance for sanity now, but don't bother trying to focus too much on it. The kids won't be there in a few years and you're gonna regret any time you miss with them a LOT more than any time you missed on the bike during those first several years of having little ones. Mine are both out of the house now and I wouldn't say I want 'em back, but I miss 'em, and the little kid phase, tough as it was at times, make for the sweetest memories now. Focus on what's important and the other stuff will take care of itself.

-Ray

rugbysecondrow
01-06-2011, 06:51 AM
This thread has been helpful to me. There seem to be some constants:

1) It seems to reinforce that a balance has to be struck. In other threads I have remarked about training goals being appropriate to ones lifestyle. No sense in setting goals that are either unattainable due to your schedule or will cause an unbalanced life.

2) One has to be respectful of their spouse and their needs. If I want to ride on the weekend, I will tell her on Monday. Often I will ask her what her plans are first so I can fit in my ride around her plans.
3) Get in where you fit in. For those who remember, this was the title of a Rap album, now it is advice for riding. Fit in a ride whenever. Early, late, mid-day, commuting, MTBiking, Trailer with kids, rollers, trainers etc.

4) Crosstraining is important. I can do push-ups, core and stretching while watching the kids. Time isn't lost, just allocated differently.

5) Try to set a schedule and communicate intentions upfront.

6) Have some riding buddies who are sympathetic. I find it easier to get out if I have people relying or waiting on me. My wife respects that as well. If you are going by yourself, it seems easier to put your time aside or just not do it.

7) Lastly, but likely the most important, when you do ride, DON'T FEEL GUILTY. It is good for kids to see you exercising and living a healthy life. The lessons you teach by example they will take into their adulthood. It is not child abuse to exercise or to go out on a ride. It is not bad parenting to take time for yourself in this healthy way, but unfortunatly MANY MANY MANY parents completly shut down many aspects of their life because of guilt.

Anyway, I just wanted to summarize what I have taken from this. Add to it at will, might be a nice list for new fathers/mothers to read and employ. Some of this advice is just general marrage advice.

djg
01-06-2011, 07:19 AM
Long story short, commuting on bike isn't an option.
I do hope to get my son into biking. But this winter I'll hopefully be taking him to the ski hill for the first time. Counting on some father/son ski trips to New England in eight to ten years... :)

Excellent. I grew up with a local ski hill, but don't have one now that I've settled in Northern Virginia. I started taking my kids to a place in Southern PA a couple of years ago for day trips, with spring break trips out west. Last spring, we had one of those perfect spring skiing days in Santa Fe (there's a ski area a few thousand feet above the city that's a nice family place). My 8 year-old daughter and my then 12 year-old daughter skied together, laughing in the sunshine. I kinda tear up at the memory of the scene.

Dave B
01-06-2011, 07:39 AM
I won't add too much to the already great info here, however some things to think about.

This is easier said then done, so understand it takes some practice.

If possible schedule time wiht your family for a ride, workout etc. I think it is fair to communicate your desires to your wife and kids...especially as they get older.

I have always treated my daughter first until a good mentor of mine said that you yourself do not lose your worth when you have a child. It is important for them to see growing up that you too are a valuable entity in the family. Making yourself a priority every once in ahwile helps keep a balance i the mind as well as in the family dynamics. Kids seeing their parents value themselves teaches them self worth. Making yourself a priority (as long as you don't become selfish) shows that each member of the family and their interests are important.

It sounds selfish I know and my wife reminds me daily to do things for me as I put her and the wee one first. I will say it feels odd to me, but I am learning. It has also gotten rid of those feelings of being taken for granted or giving and not receiving.

just thoughts.

best of luck.

endosch2
01-06-2011, 08:08 AM
I had the same issue when my kids were younger, but starting around ages 4 adn 5 they are more independent and allow you and your wife to stuff done without one of you always bein gin "hover" mode, which reduces the stress when one of you wants to go for a ride or run.

I would strongly encourage you to go out of your way to enjoy the kids, but also get your wife to take a break for herself and do somethig she likes so that you can do the same too.

Climb01742
01-06-2011, 08:16 AM
as others have said, you're in the tunnel, it looks dark, but someday, these will be some of the brightest days in your life, says the guy with a daughter who just turned 14. you miss every step they take out of your life.

drewski
01-06-2011, 08:33 AM
There is a poet Robert Bly who was once asked if his father was around
when he was a kid. His response:

Yes I knew he was around because everyone once in a while
when his dad was in sitting in the living room,
the newspaper would making a rustling sound.

To me this idea of being creating a dad is tied with being a
man who has created a personal philosohy for the role
of a man within the family. This is a very, very complex issue
so I hope I am not triavializing it. I have done a great deal
of soul searching on this.

I think it takes very little to be considered a good to great dad
and very little to be considered a bad mom. For me I had to decide
what kind of man (father) I wanted to be. Did I want be a mature
monarch or be a child king?

I constantly struggle with this issue. Even now. I will admit
that overall I think I know what it takes to be a mature king(non Darth Vader
or absentee dad). But I still make mistakes and act like a non mature
king.

Its really liberating to admit that as a dad I can really f up sometimes.
When I really mess up I do what is called a restoration. This is an idea
created by Mathew Fox. It involves taking full ownership of
of both sides of my fatherhood. The child monarch and the mature one.

Full disclosure:

When I act like a immature monarch I get tend to get defensive but eventually admit it. Then I make a restoration in the form of a service or
physical object. This could be anything like make a flan, take someone
to a movie, paint a bathroom etc. This idea has made a profound
impact on the interpersonal relations I have with wife, family, and
friends. In our family culture everyone performs restorations when
they have performed disgracefully. I have found these restorations have healing power both to the restoree and to the restorer.

I have used restorations to help restore trust when I purchased too much
bike crap as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matthew_Fox_(priest)

Andrew

oldguy00
01-06-2011, 08:48 AM
I think what makes it a bit more difficult is that my wife isn't into sports, and since having kids, she doesn't really have 'hobbies' that she wants time for. Definitely gets frustrating as even though I encourage her to go out, go away, do her own thing, she just doesn't want to, thus it is only me that wants to get away for exercise.....she just doesn't understand, and that causes a lot of friction when I try to take any time for myself.....

rugbysecondrow
01-06-2011, 09:00 AM
I think what makes it a bit more difficult is that my wife isn't into sports, and since having kids, she doesn't really have 'hobbies' that she wants time for. Definitely gets frustrating as even though I encourage her to go out, go away, do her own thing, she just doesn't want to, thus it is only me that wants to get away for exercise.....she just doesn't understand, and that causes a lot of friction when I try to take any time for myself.....

You are certianly not alone my friend. Women struggle with more than men do. If they work, they are bad mothers for putting kids in daycare. If they stay are home, they are bad women for given in. If they exercise or indulge in other hobbies, they should be at home. When at home, they feel like they should be doing more. It is a struggle that I think men either ignore or just don't participate it. There is no societal pressure the same as with women, so it is hard for them. I will say though, it is no suprise that many men and women put on weight as they get older. It is easier to chastize the chubby middle-aged, but with little ones at the house, sometimes it is a good day just meeting the basic standards, let alone exercising, reading, praying...whatever you do.

With all that said, I enjoy it, would not change it and what it has done is help me prioritize my life better. Interestingly enough, when I had time, real free time, as a young adult, I pissed it away and took it for granted. Now that I have less of it, I seem to enjoy what I do more than when I was younger. An odd dynamic for sure.

oldguy00
01-06-2011, 09:08 AM

Something that has worked well for my wife and I (she plays soccer 3-4 times a week) we let each have the exercise time, it is better for everyone. It really helps us keep things going in the right direction.

Tele - have you ever seen the show 'Wife Swap'???
:D

Fixed
01-06-2011, 09:10 AM
You are certianly not alone my friend. Women struggle with more than men do. If they work, they are bad mothers for putting kids in daycare. If they stay are home, they are bad women for given in. If they exercise or indulge in other hobbies, they should be at home. When at home, they feel like they should be doing more. It is a struggle that I think men either ignore or just don't participate it. There is no societal pressure the same as with women, so it is hard for them. I will say though, it is no suprise that many men and women put on weight as they get older. It is easier to chastize the chubby middle-aged, but with little ones at the house, sometimes it is a good day just meeting the basic standards, let alone exercising, reading, praying...whatever you do.

With all that said, I enjoy it, would not change it and what it has done is help me prioritize my life better. Interestingly enough, when I had time, real free time, as a young adult, I pissed it away and took it for granted. Now that I have less of it, I seem to enjoy what I do more than when I was younger. An odd dynamic for sure.
well said your wife is lucky to have you imho
cheers imho

DonH
01-06-2011, 09:15 AM

I'm still trying to figure that out (although I don't consider it 'training' - just riding for fun and exersize). I do get some free time on the weekends and after work some nights, but sometimes I feel guilty running off to have fun on my bike. I definitely have to use my time more efficiently - I love to spend time wrenching on stuff in my garage and am totally guilty of obsessing about every little detail on my bikes. This year I will commute to work more.

tele
01-06-2011, 09:21 AM
Tele - have you ever seen the show 'Wife Swap'???
:D
Unfortunately I have seen the show. Let's try something else, perhaps Wife Rentals? All proceeds go to my next bike related project. Win win atmo.

Seriously, I have a family history if heart disease. My wife recognizes that exercise is good for keeping me around, at least for the kids.

drewski
01-06-2011, 09:27 AM
As a dad using older beater bikes is a good way to maximize effort during commutes.

I ride my 25 Peugeot lb bike with laptop, change of clothing
and all told I think I am riding I am pushing 40 lbs.

When I switch to my Seven Axiom I feel like I am on a rocket.

This Saturday I am going to on a 30 mile ride for the first time in about
a year. I also feel lots of guilt about going on long rides.

I do make sure to let the wifey do stuff as well. She went away to
RISD reunion for her Italian study abroad program. We all would have
gone but travelling to New England from Charlotte in the middle
of the school year would have been steep.

She worries when I ride so I got a $400 set of lights from Dinotte
to help minimize the chance of an incident with a older person
who has problems with peripheral vision and those folks who
treat driving like their opportunity to use phones/pda to multi task.

I bet if you ran a survey on the number of persons who
use forget to use their turn light while using the phone you would be shocked.

Then again most of us already are tuned in to the epedimic
of distracted drivers we have on the roads in the good old USA.

drewski
01-06-2011, 09:33 AM

No pressure but your decision has the potential severely impact the future
of your children.

tuxbailey
01-06-2011, 09:39 AM
Oh, get a trailer. it is a good to get some riding and exercise while spending quality time with your kid.

sure it is not the same as riding the nice road bike but it is fun in a different way. In the summer I use the trailer to take my daughter to the local park using the MUP and it is cool. You can exercise, your kid will have fun, and your wife will have a break. Win-Win.

get an old mountain bike or hybrid to haul the trailer. I use my Jamis to do it.

kgrooney
01-06-2011, 11:06 AM

I have a five and six year old. Soon after they were born I purchased a Chariot trailer and did my riding on a University loop road where I work. On a Sunday morning there's no traffic and my wife loved the break. I'd put them in there with a bottle or a toy and we were good to go.

Currently, my routine is similar to yours, however, the only difference is the time they go to bed. 7:30 firm. I'm in the bed no later than 8:00 and I'm up at 4:00am and out the door or on the trainer at 5:00am.

Mike126
01-06-2011, 11:13 AM
I have 11 yo twin boys. They were a complete handful in their infant and toddler years. I cut way back on my riding but did manage to get time in by riding before work either on the trainer or road and occasionally on the weekends. My wife and I would give each other breaks. She did not work so it was a little easier and we did not have outside or family help.

The bike trailer is a very good option. Although not very glamorous but you will definately get a workout on hills. I would take my guys out for 30 minutes rides or longer if they fell asleep.

Also, why not ride at lunch?

In a few years you'll be juggling kids sports so get use to it! :)

oldguy00
01-06-2011, 11:13 AM
No pressure but your decision has the potential severely impact the future
of your children.

There is no 'decision' being made. I'm not looking to cut my time with my kids, my original post was really just asking how the other parents here get their training/exercise in while still spending the time with the kids.

I do have a Chariot Cougar. First had the single, then got the double. When the weather is nice, I do take my son in it. The only down side is that lately he doesn't like it. He seems to want to get ready to go, gets in the trailer with his portable DVD player, books and snacks, and then 5 minutes into the ride he says he wants to go home! lol
OH, and I was somewhat surprised at how much harder it is to pull the double up hill, compared to the single!!!

93legendti
01-06-2011, 11:15 AM
One more thing. It takes a while to adapt to parenting 2 children. It's a quantum leap in time and energy from parenting just 1 child. It's sad to say, but you will get used to less sleep.
Embrace the Burley!

MadRocketSci
01-06-2011, 12:37 PM
plan right now is to get me a Salsa Fargo with childseat so i can ride more. Good for up to 40 lbs (3-4 years old for boys). Get your riding in and spend quality time with the kid. I know a lot of people don't like seats and prefer draggers, but to me the new seats are kid cages and, along with a helmet and good choice of routes, seem pretty safe.

d_douglas
01-06-2011, 02:13 PM
This is a timely post.

Here I am on my iPhone laying on the floor of my daughters bedroom trying to convince her to sleep - she is nuts right now . We don't get much sleep as she is having problems making it through more than 4 hrs of sleep at a time after 14 months.

We are all wiped out.

I am in the worst shape of my last 20 years now (41 in total) but still try to make time for lunch runs while commuting about 10km per day and the odd 3 hr weekend rides.

It is a tough slog but I seriously cannot imagine anything more amazing in my life than bringing up my baby girl.

I would guess that every parent on this forum would agree with me there. It really is true.

PS Nouria has now fallen asleep with one little hand sticking out of the crib - how freakin cute is that!?!?!

thenewguy11
01-06-2011, 02:31 PM
PS Nouria has now fallen asleep with one little hand sticking out of the crib - how freakin cute is that!?!?!

So awesome! I probably go into my little guy's room to watch him sleep four or five times a night.

Johny
01-06-2011, 03:38 PM
Our three boys are 7, 5 and 4. Looking at their baby pictures makes me wonder all the time "is it already 7/5/4 years...?"

Just not long ago, we called our little one "Baby Jonny." Now he claims that he is a boy, not a baby.

Wife and I spend more and more time with our boys doing activities together...hiking, walking, biking, skiing, playing ball, visiting museums, going to violin/music/karate lessons... I am sure that pretty soon they would rather spend time with their friends.

We don't have help from others. Busy but it bring us even closer to each other.

I commute by bike and enjoy it very much. Take turns with wife shuttling kids.

Maybe invite your wife to walk with you around the neighborhood. Physical activities are good for the soul, especially doing them together with your loved ones.

Fixed
01-06-2011, 03:50 PM
i had a baby yesterday
today he's 6' 3"
cheers

rugbysecondrow
01-06-2011, 03:52 PM
i had a baby yesterday
today he's 6' 3"
cheers

Dare I ask how your wife is recovering.

Sorry, couldn't resist. :)

Fixed
01-06-2011, 03:55 PM
: Dare I ask how your wife is recovering.

Sorry, couldn't resist. :)
this works for somethings :beer: :beer: :beer: cheers

93legendti
01-06-2011, 04:35 PM
This is a timely post.

Here I am on my iPhone laying on the floor of my daughters bedroom trying to convince her to sleep - she is nuts right now . We don't get much sleep as she is having problems making it through more than 4 hrs of sleep at a time after 14 months.

We are all wiped out.

I am in the worst shape of my last 20 years now (41 in total) but still try to make time for lunch runs while commuting about 10km per day and the odd 3 hr weekend rides.

It is a tough slog but I seriously cannot imagine anything more amazing in my life than bringing up my baby girl.

I would guess that every parent on this forum would agree with me there. It really is true.

Ouch...been there...it gets better...

We had good luck rocking kids back to sleep. I'm amazed our rocking chair didn't wear thru the carpet.

oldguy00
01-06-2011, 04:49 PM
We let our little guy (4 yo) sleep in our bed for a long time. Yeah, we're weak.
He's in his own bed now, but often insists that daddy sleeps there too.
So I usually go to bed with him, wait for him to fall asleep, then get up to have some mental down time, then back into his bed around 1AM when he wakes up and calls out for me.
The 5 month old girl is hardly sleeping at all, but we kind of expected that..
My wife is the 'let them cry it out' person...
I'm the give them whatever they want person.. :)

majorpat
01-06-2011, 06:11 PM
For what are you training? Still trying to race and be competitive? Good luck, I have some friends that do so but they have seem to experience the same spouse resentment that overseas deployments create.

Try a trailer, pulling more weight uphills means you can take shorter rides! Or, commute to work. The reality is your life is different, you don't go out raising heck all night anymore so why expect that your bike life won't be affected.

Look on your kids childhood as an extended periodization...just start intervals when they hit high school! Best of luck, just get your rides in when you can.

rugbysecondrow
01-06-2011, 07:09 PM
We let our little guy (4 yo) sleep in our bed for a long time. Yeah, we're weak.
He's in his own bed now, but often insists that daddy sleeps there too.
So I usually go to bed with him, wait for him to fall asleep, then get up to have some mental down time, then back into his bed around 1AM when he wakes up and calls out for me.
The 5 month old girl is hardly sleeping at all, but we kind of expected that..
My wife is the 'let them cry it out' person...
I'm the give them whatever they want person.. :)

Well, I am not one to tell others how to parent, but you are going to burn out my friend. As a working parent,your sleep is more important than the boys. It might not surprise you that I cut from the same clothe as you wife on this, for what it's worth.

ultraman6970
01-06-2011, 07:35 PM
My final thought, do not get the bike to get between you and your wife. Is not easy to take of 2 kids at the same time and women if they do not bike as you do they wont understand. In my case as much i get a few hours now during the week ends and thats it. Daddy's time is for the kids now, not for the bike.

Probably she could understand if cycling was your profession but so far thats only <=0.5 % of the cycling population here in the states.

So good luck dude :D Welcome to parenthood :D