PDA

View Full Version : C&O canal towpath

fiamme red
01-05-2011, 10:59 AM
Looks like fun.

http://www.velocult.com/blog/post/C_O_Fall_Bike_Tour/

echelon_john
01-05-2011, 11:09 AM
great photos. i did that ride in reverse as my last day of a cross-country trip. 4:30 am in cumberland, 8:30 pm in DC. never been so happy to get a burger and a beer!

paw paw tunnel up north was a trip; loooong tunnel with no lights (i had a maglite iirc) and a rickety guardrail in the middle of freaking nowhere.

love to do it again!

thanks for sharing

Ralph
01-05-2011, 11:15 AM
Nice....Looks like you had a great time. Your wife is terrific. Doubt if mine would have done that in that condition. Shucks....I know she would not have.

fiamme red
01-05-2011, 11:18 AM
Nice....Looks like you had a great time. Your wife is terrific. Doubt if mine would have done that in that condition. Shucks....I know she would not have.Should have said that the photos aren't mine. They were taken by Sky Boyer, owner of Velo Cult bike shop in San Diego.

I hope to ride the C & O path sometime soon, maybe in 2011.

cp43
01-05-2011, 11:35 AM
I've done the C&O and the GAP trail, they're both good fun.

Nice pics there too.

Chris

AngryScientist
01-05-2011, 11:36 AM
looks like a blast, i read this blog now and then too, good stuff, great pics.

we routinely ride the tow path that goes through princeton NJ, as i have some friends down in the area. its less scenic, and rougher in spots, but still an enjoyable ride with a cx type set-up.

rugbysecondrow
01-05-2011, 11:38 AM
I have never done it, but it is on my list for the spring.

Maybe we can get a small crew together an organize a ride?

fiamme red
01-05-2011, 11:42 AM
we routinely ride the tow path that goes through princeton NJ, as i have some friends down in the area. its less scenic, and rougher in spots, but still an enjoyable ride with a cx type set-up.I rode the D & R towpath a few weeks ago, 35 miles from Trenton to New Brunswick. Really enjoyed it, and hope to do it again in the spring.

AngryScientist
01-05-2011, 11:54 AM
I rode the D & R towpath a few weeks ago, 35 miles from Trenton to New Brunswick. Really enjoyed it, and hope to do it again in the spring.

shoot me a PM if you're interested in someone to ride with.

nahtnoj
01-05-2011, 11:59 AM
Yes.

fiamme red
01-05-2011, 11:59 AM
shoot me a PM if you're interested in someone to ride with.Will do. :)

I'm thinking of making a nice long day of towpath riding, by also including the D & R feeder path from Trenton to Frenchtown or Milford, and the D & L towpath on the PA side of the Delaware back to Trenton.

AngryScientist
01-05-2011, 12:15 PM
Will do. :)

I'm thinking of making a nice long day of towpath riding, by also including the D & R feeder path from Trenton to Frenchtown or Milford, and the D & L towpath on the PA side of the Delaware back to Trenton.

nice, i live in north Jersey, about 10 minutes from manhatten, but work down in the princeton area (yea, the commute sucks), and i know some great roads down in that PA area for riding. once the spring hits, we should pull something together.

oliver1850
01-05-2011, 02:08 PM
Nice pics. Looks like there's a bit rougher terrain and more scenery than the canal path near me. I ride this one fairly often, it's 80 odd miles. It's underused, and has been in danger of losing state funding, so I'm always trying to get people to come and ride it.

rugbysecondrow
01-05-2011, 02:52 PM
Has anybody ridden the GAP portion from Pittsburgh to Cumberland, MD? My brother lives in Pittsburgh and I think riding from DC to Pit would be fun to do this spring.

AngryScientist
01-05-2011, 03:08 PM
Has anybody ridden the GAP portion from Pittsburgh to Cumberland, MD? My brother lives in Pittsburgh and I think riding from DC to Pit would be fun to do this spring.

wow, approximately how many miles do you think that would be?

from my experience tow paths are very weather dependent on quality. after a good hard rain, or extended snow in the area, they can be a mud pit. sounds like a fun ride though!

KVN
01-05-2011, 03:16 PM
I rode the C&O and GAP on the tandem with my wife this summer. The C&O can be really spotty and rough. I didn't see a single road bike till i got to DC. There's free camping the on the entire trail!

The GAP trail was simply amazing. Breath taking beauty, great swimming and rock climbing.

We left Pitt on a Monday and got to DC on Friday.

cp43
01-05-2011, 04:05 PM

I rode it April 2010, Cumberland to McKeesport. The GAP trail was much better maintained than the C&O towpath that we did in 2009.

Major differences to keep in mind:

- Free camping on the C&O, private but reasonably priced campgrounds, and some state parks on the GAP trail.

- the C&O is basically flat the whole way. The first 25 or so miles out of Cumberland are up hill on the GAP trail. It's not steep, but it's noticeable. From there it's a shallower grade down to McKeesport.

- The C&O goes all the way to the Potomac in DC. The GAP trail ends about 10 miles short of Pittsburgh, if you want to get all the way in to the city you have to ride on the road for a while. I haven't done that last 10 miles, so I don't know how good the roads are to ride on.

- There is an active railroad parallel to the GAP trail for a lot of the way, it's pretty loud when the trains go by. If you're a light sleeper you might want earplugs.

That's all I've got off the top of my head. If you have any quesitons, let me know.

Chris

97CSI
01-05-2011, 04:56 PM
I have never done it, but it is on my list for the spring. Maybe we can get a small crew together an organize a ride?If I'm recovered enough (new hip), would certainly intererst me. Hopefully, my new touring bike will be finished this spring.

zap
01-05-2011, 05:18 PM

God no.

C&O is boring as ????z to ride. It's flat, it's straight, zero challenge and seeing the mile markers go by every 3 minutes or so is mind numbing.

I live 4 miles from the path and the most fun I had riding a bike there was when I chased a blue heron for 2 miles.

The only time I ride it now is when it's 10F or colder with major wind and I'm sick and tired of riding the computrainer.

skreaminquadz
01-05-2011, 05:19 PM
wow, approximately how many miles do you think that would be?

from my experience tow paths are very weather dependent on quality. after a good hard rain, or extended snow in the area, they can be a mud pit. sounds like a fun ride though!

I rode from DC to Pittsburgh this summer (actually to McKeesport b/c it's not complete to Pitt just yet). It took me 5 days, 3 days on the C&O and 2 days on the GAP. The C&O is much rougher and beat me up pretty well. It deteriorated quite quickly when it rained. However, the GAP is very different. Much smoother and held up super well in the rain. I really enjoyed that section - they did a great job with the GAP. It was my first time on the GAP and I was very impressed, I've done the C&O portion a few times.

roydyates
01-05-2011, 05:31 PM
shoot me a PM if you're interested in someone to ride with.
Funny, but I ride around the canal pretty much weekly, but we ride only on the roads, usually towards the Sourlands and Lambertville.

A few years before I started riding, I would go for a regular weekly group run on the towpath. We used to find the cyclists fairly annoying, mostly because the path was narrow relative to their speed.

Nevertheless, I am a little interested too.

xjoex
01-05-2011, 08:31 PM
I rode from DC to Pittsburgh this summer (actually to McKeesport b/c it's not complete to Pitt just yet). It took me 5 days, 3 days on the C&O and 2 days on the GAP. The C&O is much rougher and beat me up pretty well. It deteriorated quite quickly when it rained. However, the GAP is very different. Much smoother and held up super well in the rain. I really enjoyed that section - they did a great job with the GAP. It was my first time on the GAP and I was very impressed, I've done the C&O portion a few times.

My experience exactly. I rode it a couple times, each time I swear it will be the last!

From DC to Great Falls it is beautiful, unfortunately that is like 10 miles. After great falls it gets less maintained and the canal in the summer is a mosquito filled swamp. The scenery never changes and at each trip at some point a rain has turned the towpath in to a death march through sandy mud.

That said let me know, I'll ride it again! :)

Pics from one of the trips:
http://robonza.blogspot.com/2008/06/c-and-o-canal-ride-dc-pgh.html

-Joe

skreaminquadz
01-06-2011, 07:19 AM
My experience exactly. I rode it a couple times, each time I swear it will be the last!

That said let me know, I'll ride it again! :)

-Joe

Ha ha! With enough time inbetween I too forgot and do it again. It is quite the experience and extremely well suited for camping with water available every few miles. But dang what it does to your body...

SamIAm
01-06-2011, 09:13 AM
God no.

C&O is boring as ????z to ride. It's flat, it's straight, zero challenge and seeing the mile markers go by every 3 minutes or so is mind numbing.

I live 4 miles from the path and the most fun I had riding a bike there was when I chased a blue heron for 2 miles.

The only time I ride it now is when it's 10F or colder with major wind and I'm sick and tired of riding the computrainer.

+100

I did a ride a few years back from Pittsburgh to Williamsburg that incorporated the GAP and C&O, love the GAP, but was bored to tears on the C&O and if its muddy, forget it. No interest at all outside of a cool tunnel. I was with 8 other people and not one enjoyed the C&O, except for the arrival in Georgetown!

PaMtbRider
01-06-2011, 10:56 AM

I have done the C&O end to end a few times. The first time was with my father 25+ years ago, and more recently with my wife. Roxann and I would probably be interested in riding from Pittsburgh to Cumberland this spring. Keep us in mind if a ride comes together.

Drjimbo
01-06-2011, 11:27 AM
Whow - this certainly brought back memories.

In 1976 I tried to ride it from DC to Cumberland, but got rained out on the second day and had to abandon the ride.

Tried again in 1978, this time from Cumberland to DC. There are some beautiful sections, but when it rained the bike did a lot of slipping and sliding. But I made it.

Sorry to hear that it is in about the same condition - a prime candidate for serious restoration.

rugbysecondrow
01-06-2011, 11:30 AM
I have done the C&O end to end a few times. The first time was with my father 25+ years ago, and more recently with my wife. Roxann and I would probably be interested in riding from Pittsburgh to Cumberland this spring. Keep us in mind if a ride comes together.

It sounds like the Cumberland to Pitt route might be the most fun, and a great use of time. We might have to seriously put something together.

Cheers.

jeo99
01-06-2011, 12:07 PM
BORING! Boring you say! Maybe if ridden everyday. But it is full of history all along the way. It is an adventure on your bike. It may be many things but not boring. Ft. Fredrick, Tunnels, Harpers Ferry, Antietam, just to name a few. Then there is the bicycle shop that has overnite accommodations along the trail. There is much much more. Riding for mileage should be off the trail. IMO

:beer:

God no.

rugbysecondrow
05-06-2012, 08:32 PM
I am reviving this because I am planning a ride from Cumberland to Pittsburgh May 24-26. I am going to drive to Cumberland from Ellicott City, MD. Depart on either the 24 or 25, then on to Pitt. Stay with family and meet my wife in Pittsburgh for Memorial Day weekend, then she will drop me off at the car on Monday.

Anybody interested? I am not planning on camping, but light credit card tour.

Shoot me a PM if interested.

Cheers!

Paul

Norm Swift
05-06-2012, 08:43 PM
The May 24th-25th time frame will be good timing for you since on May 18th/19th I will be out in that section of the C&O with around 40 Boy Scouts. You will miss the chaos!

rugbysecondrow
05-06-2012, 08:52 PM
The May 24th-25th time frame will be good timing for you since on May 18th/19th I will be out in that section of the C&O with around 40 Boy Scouts. You will miss the chaos!

Awesome. I might bug you for a report.

What parts are you doing?

cnighbor1
05-06-2012, 08:59 PM
crazyguyonabicycle.com
than if you want data on specific areas to ride and or tour just type in that area of state
great photos and data
Charles

Earl Gray
05-06-2012, 10:19 PM
I am reviving this because I am planning a ride from Cumberland to Pittsburgh May 24-26. I am going to drive to Cumberland from Ellicott City, MD. Depart on either the 24 or 25, then on to Pitt. Stay with family and meet my wife in Pittsburgh for Memorial Day weekend, then she will drop me off at the car on Monday.

Anybody interested? I am not planning on camping, but light credit card tour.

Shoot me a PM if interested.

Cheers!

Paul

I expect daily picture uploads!

El Chaba
05-07-2012, 07:03 AM
I did the C&O from DC to Cumberland last August. I didn't find it boring at all, but then again, I didn't start until 11 the firts day and had to be in Cumberalnd by 3PM the second day. A "30% chance of showers" on the second day turned into an all day light-moderate rain, and the western half of the path is definitely prone to being soft. I was riding my randonneur bike with 32 mm road tires which really were perfect for the conditions dry, but were inadequate to cope well with the soft conditions. Nonetheless it was a fun trip. It does take a lot of the boredom out of the trip if you are trying to make time as it requires a lot of attention to dodge rocks, roots, mudholes, etc...

El Chaba
05-07-2012, 07:12 AM
paw paw tunnel up north was a trip; loooong tunnel with no lights (i had a maglite iirc) and a rickety guardrail in the middle of freaking nowhere.

this:

rugbysecondrow
05-07-2012, 08:30 AM
Awesome, I have been reading some pretty great things about the GAP route. I am looking forward to it.

sc53
05-07-2012, 09:50 AM
Friend and I did the GAP and C&O in late October a couple of years ago. The GAP trail guide is a great resource. We stayed in "B&B's" all along the way. I put quotes around the term because a couple of the places we stayed in were very low-key and we were the only guests, including no innkeeper or anyone else. We were told where to find a hidden key, let ourselves in, and slept. Very trusting people along the old railroad towns of the GAP. It rained only a couple of times but unfortunately one of those times was along the northern part of the C&O which became a slippery, muddy trough of rocks and roots. Friend fell and smacked her head and couldn't remember where we were for an hour or so, and we were in the middle of nowhere (near Paw Paw WVa) with no cell reception. So if you ride in the rain be careful! The GAP is crushed limestone and beautifully maintained so no issues with rain there. I loved this trip and would do it again--can't this Mem Day though.

alpsantos
05-07-2012, 10:00 AM
My wife did a solo ride of the C&O canal last summer from Cumberland to Georgetown in a day and a half. She had a great time even in the heat and humidity.

We hope to do the GAP and C&O later this summer.

http://terpconnect.umd.edu/~asantos/Cycling/Dsci1.jpg

El Chaba
05-07-2012, 10:16 AM
As a footnote...This is the bike I rode for the trip. For the dry days, it was a great setup for travelling as fast as the obstacles would allow, but was a little flat-footed for the mud that results when it rains on the western half.....The bike has two lights...a modern, LED battery powered one that is very bright...and a 30 year old generator powered one that is *adequate* in the country after you eyes have become adjusted. The vibrations of travelling at speed over the path apparently jarred the modern light in some way so i was surprised to find that it didn't work when I arrived at the Pawpaw tunnel. there was nothing to do but to engage the generator, get a running start (it really needs at least 10 mph) and slam into the darkness...The problem is that the the towpath is rough under the dripline of the tunnel, and you can't see that from the outside. As a result, I was slowed and plunged back into darkness until I could get back up to speed. Thankfully I didn't meet anybody in the tunnel!

El Chaba
05-07-2012, 10:31 AM
This is pretty typical of the towpath conditions when it rains:

fiamme red
05-07-2012, 10:45 AM
This is pretty typical of the towpath conditions when it rains:Your fenders didn't get jammed with mud? That happened to me on a recent local canal towpath ride. I had to remove the wheels and scrape out the mud more than once.

SamIAm
05-07-2012, 12:06 PM

Your pictures are really bringing back memories. Especially the mud and the paw paw tunnel.

I had sworn never ever to get on the C&0 again, but its funny part of me wants to give it another go.

El Chaba
05-07-2012, 12:09 PM
Your fenders didn't get jammed with mud? That happened to me on a recent local canal towpath ride. I had to remove the wheels and scrape out the mud more than once.

They were packed pretty well, but never so much that I couldn't knuckle down and slog through to the point of just wearing it out.

cp43
05-07-2012, 12:32 PM

The surface on the Gap trail is much better. When we rode it it was small crushed stone the whole way. It was smoother than the towpath, with better drainage, and it was much better maintained.

Chris

El Chaba
05-07-2012, 01:28 PM
The surface on the Gap trail is much better. When we rode it it was small crushed stone the whole way. It was smoother than the towpath, with better drainage, and it was much better maintained.

Chris

Thanks. I'm looking forward to doing it.

rugbysecondrow
05-07-2012, 02:12 PM
Your bike is really similar to the one I will be taking. http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=86754&highlight=bedford I have some gear, but I this is my first overnight trip with my bike, so I am not going to go real heavy with buying gear until I know that I enjoy these sorts of trips. Rack, Schmidt generator with Schmidt LED light, rack, fenders etc.

I had thought about removing the fenders, any thoughts on that? I thought that they might get rattled and beat around with the terrain, but keeping mud and slop off of me is enticing as well.

Thanks,

Paul

xjoex
05-08-2012, 09:25 AM
Your bike is really similar to the one I will be taking. http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=86754&highlight=bedford I have some gear, but I this is my first overnight trip with my bike, so I am not going to go real heavy with buying gear until I know that I enjoy these sorts of trips. Rack, Schmidt generator with Schmidt LED light, rack, fenders etc.

I had thought about removing the fenders, any thoughts on that? I thought that they might get rattled and beat around with the terrain, but keeping mud and slop off of me is enticing as well.

Thanks,

Paul

Leave the fenders on! If there is a rain storm you will love it. The limestone on the path will work its way in to your shorts...

Have fun!

-Joe

farmallguy
05-08-2012, 11:41 AM
The GAP trail is much better condition than the C&O. GAP is about 110 miles, C&O is 188 if I remember right. So you can ride from Pittsburgh to D.C. on a trail. I've done it and it is beautiful. C&O can be muddy but that is all part of the fun! Lots of B&B options along the way, espcially the one in Little Orleans, MD, those folks were great!

Jack