PDA

View Full Version : Kurt Kinetic: Road Machine Issues

false_Aest
01-04-2011, 08:42 PM
Hey,

Rode the GF's Road Machine today. Found that there was a "gap" every once and a while in the resistance. Minimal. If it was a gear driven thing I'd almost think a tooth was ground down and slipping slightly.

She says its always been that way.

I dont think I've ever felt this with another trainer--mag or fluid--but I've never actually spent more than 15 minutes on one for warmup.

IIRC, Kurt is easy to deal with right?

And

I should be contacting them about this, right?

jednjen42
01-04-2011, 08:57 PM
I have a Kurt Kinetic Rock n Roll trainer. A bearing let loose in the flywheel, (I think) and the resistance would sometimes ease up, sometimes get harder, and sometimes squeal. I called them up and they said OK, what's your address, and mailed me a new flywheel (fluid if you must know). Really easy to deal with, whenever I can, I purchase products with a lifetime warranty. Jed

dekindy
01-04-2011, 09:01 PM
I have never heard of a KKRM doing this but that does not mean it couldn't. I experienced the same thing on the road with my road bike. It turned out to be the hub.

Does it happen when you sprint or other hard, sudden efforts. The roller may just not have enough tension or the back tire pressure may just be low. I would check the tire pressure first. You have to keep them inflated on the trainer also. Then use your hand to spin the wheel forward about a quarter of a turn and then reverse it as quickly as you can. If it slips the tension is not tight enough. Tighten the knob clockwise and then retest tension.

Or, it could be that the tire is too worn. Good luck.

Peter P.
01-04-2011, 10:19 PM
I'm with dekindy on this one. The flywheel has nothing to do with the resistance. Dekindy explains the adjustment procedure well.

I've e-mailed questions to KK and always received courteous replies.

01-05-2011, 02:41 AM
A slight out of roundness in either the tire or the trainer drum that the tire presses against is what usually causes this. I've worked with a dozen Kurts and at least half had a resistance unit that was at least 1mm out of round or out of concentricity. That's all it takes. And when checking tires, I see it constantly.

1centaur
01-05-2011, 05:04 AM
Unless the "gap" is tire slippage (i.e., only evident on harder pedal pushes) the "every once in a while" phrase makes me think the issue is not one of out of roundness.

If it is slippage of the tire, I have found no brand better than Continental's home trainer tire.

false_Aest
01-05-2011, 10:08 AM
3 emails back and forth with Kurt. Best customer service I've EVER EVER EVER EVER experienced.

"Thomas,

I appreciate your feedback.

Please respond with the trainer serial number and mailing address. I will have a replacement resistance unit shipped, along with a fed x label for the bad one. I would like to get that one back here for some testing

Regards
Pam Sayler
North American Sales Manager
Kinetic Division, Kurt Manufacturing"

I didn't push for a new resistance unit. I just asked if they had suggestions. I emailed them right after posting last night. I received this email at 7:45AM today.

No question, I will buy from them again when the time comes. I will also recommend their trainers to anyone who asks.

AngryScientist
01-05-2011, 10:13 AM
that's fantastic. more companies should realize that this kind of customer service is what wins business. thanks for the update.

dekindy
01-05-2011, 10:22 AM
Great. Be sure to respond to their goodwill with your own and return the unit to them for examination. I have a Kurt Kinetic and would appreciate it too. If there is indeed something wrong that they can learn from it will help me and other owners if we have a problem. I did not use mine much the first year that I had it but last year and this year have used the heck out of it during the Winter. It is exactly the equipment I needed to do intervals and improve my cycling. If I ever have a problem it is nice to know that I would not have to be without it for long.

Peter P.
01-05-2011, 08:17 PM
A slight out of roundness in either the tire or the trainer drum that the tire presses against is what usually causes this. I've worked with a dozen Kurts and at least half had a resistance unit that was at least 1mm out of round or out of concentricity. That's all it takes. And when checking tires, I see it constantly.

That 1mm out of round is quite out of spec. When I was e-mailing Kurt Kinetic, it was explained to me the tolerances for the roller AND the flywheel were on the order of 0.003" or 0.004", I believe. 1mm equates to 0.040". I also believe I was told typical tire in spec tolerances for roundness were in the range of 0.030".