PDA

View Full Version : Have You Ever Had One of Those Rides?

dirtdigger88
05-13-2005, 08:10 AM
Where everything seems to come together just right? I had that last Tuesday while I was in Nashville. It almost didnt start that way though- after a 5 hour ride in my truck to get there and 4 hours at work- I almost didnt make it to the Club Ride on time. Well- actually I didnt make it on time, as I was pulling into the parking lot the group was riding off- I thought to myself- "I didnt just travel 350 miles to miss the ride!!" I jumped out of my tuck and got dressed faster than I ever have in my life- I was still putting on my gloves and helmet as I cought the first of the slower riders-

This club ride splits into three groups right away-(there were about 75 riders on this ride :beer: ) the first one is the Cat 1 and 2 racers- then the second group is the fast mortals- the last group tends to be the folks who just enjoy spinning the cranks. I picked my way through the slower riders and in about 3 miles I began to catch the middle group- I began picking my way through them as well- before I knew it I was in among the lead 4 or 5 riders and we were hauling ***. I remember at one point thinking to myself that I had no business trying to hang with these guys- but I decided to try to hang as long as I could. Before I knew it we were beginning to hit the hilly part of the ride- This is where things got interesting.

A lot of the locals in Nashville run compact cranks- they do have some steep hills- Well, the dirt man doesnt- So as these guys are happily spinning up these hills I am grinding out a 39x23 cussing myself for not swaping cassettes. Now the interesting thing was that I could "hang" with them up the hill- in that I could keep them in my sight going up- but once we hit the top the game was quite different. First I was much heavier than most of them- so gravity helped me catch up on the downhills- but with my non-compact setup I could easily out tempo the riders once the roads turned flatter-

I suffered throught the hilly part and was still in among the top couple of riders in the middle group. Now that the hills were done- myself and another guy started turning up the heat- we traded pulls back and forth for the rest of the ride- I looked back at one point and realized the entire group was completely out of sight. This rider was clearly stronger than me- but I kept pushing to hang with him.

Where it was all said and done- 20 mile ride through the hills of Nashville- 22mph average!! That may not sound like much to some- but if you would see the course we rode you would understand- that was FAST!!! After the ride I spoke to the other rider- turns out his is a cat 2 and was late for the ride as well- so he rode with the fast mortals instead- He about sh*t his pants when he realized I am a 35 year old non racer!!!

Three days later- my legs are still sore- but thats what its all about

Jason

Sandy
05-13-2005, 08:28 AM
Yeah, great story. Unfortunately I was the first one you passed in the slow group! :)

Snail Sandy

Sandy
05-13-2005, 08:34 AM
So what does the first group average??

Supersonic Spaceship Speedy Sandy

dirtdigger88
05-13-2005, 08:41 AM
So what does the first group average??

Supersonic Spaceship Speedy Sandy

I have been told 24- 26 mph- as high as 28 but I have not seen that :confused: the guy i drafted said if I could knock out the hills better I could hang with them- he does. I have only done this ride two times but they folk are 1. Very nice 2. Very fast. Here in St louis we have the Tuesday night crits that run all summer- every tuesday night- duh!!! For those guys this ride is that chance to turn and burn so they hammer it big time

Jason

Kevan
05-13-2005, 09:16 AM
That was a fun post to read. I totally agree, it is fun when the planets align themselves and you’re able to put in such an effort that not only do you surprise others, but you surprise yourself too.

This week I’ve been riding the bike home from work and contrary to my usual approach, which is to ride home as fast as I can, this week I took Tuesday and Thursday to extend the distance of my ride for as long as the evening’s light would safely allow me to ride. Out the office door at around 5:30, I’d go out of my way to extend my ride. Yesterday’s ride was going about 15 minutes faster than the Tuesday ride so I decided to add an additional 5 miles before the sun sank. Both evenings I’d roll the bike inside the house completely flushed from the day’s frustrations, feeling like a thousand bucks, a stupid grin on my face, and eat dinner like I’d just been saved from a week’s drifting on a shipwreck.

Today the bike is with me yet again, waiting patiently for quitting time. I’ve told myself that today I’d take the shorter route home, saving my legs for tomorrow’s romp with the pals, but who knows… when I get out there I just might go crazy again.

Sandy
05-13-2005, 09:23 AM
"....when I get out there I just might go crazy again." That shoudn't be too difficult for you to do. :) :)

So Stable So Serotta Sandy

weisan
05-13-2005, 09:27 AM
Jason, good for you. I reckon rides like these don't happen by chance. Your new position is working, you are putting in more power. Your roller sessions are working, you are turning the pedals better. Your mental game is working, you are stickin' it through with that cat 2.

Now that you have pushed the mercury level up a notch, be confident in knowing that you can always hit it again, and when you do the next time, try pushing it another notch up.

We are both 35 years-old. We are not old by any standard, just catching on to the game a bit later than some people. It's all uphill now.

JohnS
05-13-2005, 09:30 AM
Was that the Harpeth Bike Club?

dirtdigger88
05-13-2005, 09:36 AM
yes the new position and the time in the basement are paying off- I am weaker on the hills than I was before- but with practice I am sure they will get easier as well- One of my personal goals is to be strong enough to "hang" on any group ride I join- It is interesting to be the new guy- the unknown- and then drop the hammer with the best of them- you gain much respect in a hurry- I will try to join this group as often as I can (maybe once a month) before the end of the summer I want to try one of the fast group rides- :confused:

Jason

dirtdigger88
05-13-2005, 09:37 AM
Was that the Harpeth Bike Club?

YES!!! I could not for the life of me remember the name- but that is it- have you ever ridden with those hammer heads?

Jason

JohnS
05-13-2005, 10:04 AM
No, but my brother was a member when he lived there. They have a great jersey.