PDA

View Full Version : '86 Schwinn Paramount Questions

Hawker
01-04-2011, 01:02 PM
I've run across an '86 Paramount with SLX tubing. Still trying to figure out the exact size but the owner says the TT is 51cm. The photos show a pristine bike (yellow) that has been updated with Campy Record/Chorus 9speed Ergo and wheels.

So, what can I expect as far as weight, ride, etc. I'd have to drive eight hours one way to retrieve it. Oh...and what is it worth? They are asking over $1,000 and I'm thinking that is on the high side.

Thanks.

dekindy
01-04-2011, 01:24 PM
A Paramount is a pure racing bike so it will ride and handle accordingly. It will have a short head tube. This was the premier racing bike in it's day and Columbus SLX is the real deal so it should last a long time if properly cared for. In this market the $400-$600 range is more reasonable. I had a 1989 and everybody told me it was probably a collector's item. After only a little research I knew better. They are just very well made 20+ year old bikes and are priced accordingly. I would have kept mine as a backup bike except the front end was just not tall enough for a 50-year old and it was just not worth it to upgrade. I was 30 when I purchased it new.

BTW, including a computer and shoes I paid approximately $1,400 including sales tax for a new one in 1989. This included Shimano 600 components which are Ultegra level so comparable to Chorus.

chismog
01-04-2011, 02:31 PM
It's gonna weigh more than 20lbs, if that matters to you. 9 speed is functionally OK but now 2+ generations old, so replacement parts might be tricky. $1000 is way too much, especially with 8 hours driving required to pick it up. dekindy is right- it's no collector's item, just a good 25 year old bike. I'm sure it will roll nicely, like most any other quality racing bike.

$5-600 sounds about right here. I usually advise friends who want to try cycling to get something like this. It's a relatively small outlay that buys an old but quality bike that functions fine and won't lose too much value when they upgrade and want to sell it. Is this your situation?

You can certainly find a newer and lighter bike, any material you want, with modern 10 speed gear for $1000.

Something else to consider: a 1986 frame will have rear spacing of 126mm for 7 speed. 9 speed gear needs 130mm spacing. Thus, this frame has either been spread or you'll have to wrestle the rear wheel in there. No promises on whether the spread was done correctly, and there's possible issues there with dropout alignment.

Lastly... are you a mechanic? One thing folks tend to overlook is the cost of keeping a bike running smoothly. It's easy to eat up a lot of money at a shop fixing little things on old bikes, even if they're high quality. Plus, shops rarely stock 15 year old parts to fix stuff when things break, so you risk kluge repairs. Often it is better to spend more for a newer bike at a shop and build a relationship with them to get breaks on maintenance.

Your mileage may vary. Hey, if you want I'll sell you a decent 1990's Team Fuji with a 51cm top tube and Ultegra 8 group for $600. It's yellow too. And, I'll ship it to you!

Good luck Hawker, hope this helps.

Ralph
01-04-2011, 02:31 PM
The Paramounts (some of them) were race bikes of their time......but race bike geometry of those days wasn't necessarily a lot different than what we call all around rider geometry these days. I would be more concerned about how well it withstood having the rear set cold to 130 MM. I'm guessing you are looking at a 21-22 lb bike.

cmg
01-04-2011, 02:42 PM
here's a picture from RBR gallery. it's not the one the OP is talking about. Looks like it has campy drive. very cool. ride it as a geared bike then convert it to a fixed. i've been saying about doing that to a Guerciotti i have, rides to nice to convert. as far the weight, i v'e seen guys ride these things with tubular wheels that are just as fast as anything a club rider is riding.

97CSI
01-04-2011, 04:21 PM
My '87 Paramount is my daily rider and provides all-day comfort for centuries, stable flying down the backside of the Rockies on two BTCs, etc. It has since new and is the last bike I would part with. Mine currently wears a combination of 10-spd Chorus & Centaur, just like my Ottrott. Waterford Cycles (Richard Schwinn) will build you a new one in the original factory where that '86 frameset was built. They are as well made as any of the better lugged steel framesets of the day. All that said, do agree that the price is a bit on the high side, unless the hubs are also Record or Chorus, which adds greatly to the value if they match the 9-spd shifters.

Don't worry about parts. Oldpotatoe can get you any part you might need. The serial number, which provides details on the size and when built, is stamped on the bottom of the BB. Sounds like a terrific bike to me.

BTW - I posted a pic of my '87 in 'Steel Bikes' thread (post #337) just a few days ago. The paint was done by Waterford in '98.
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?p=868720#post868720

Mike748
01-04-2011, 04:26 PM
I had one from '85 and sold it to a fellow forumite. Very nice ride. More comfy than newer steel, but still pretty responsive. Make sure you check out the geometry, they had some quirks. You should be able to find an '86 catalog on line.

I agree with the others on price. 5-600-ish for a complete bike with good older components.

dekindy
01-04-2011, 05:17 PM
BTW, I have not been to Waterford's website lately, but they used to have a section that gave details of the various vintage Paramounts. If you ask questions in the forum Richard Schwinn used to reply on a timely basis.

Update: I just went there. Look under the culture section listed on the horizontal menu at the top of the page.

Fixed
01-04-2011, 06:29 PM
bro the thing with old bikes..
some poor young cat lusted for one back in the day,
but didn't have deep pockets then .....
now is a different story
cats sees one in great shape
money doesn't matter
imho
cheers

Frankwurst
01-04-2011, 06:58 PM
My '87 Paramount is my daily rider and provides all-day comfort for centuries, stable flying down the backside of the Rockies on two BTCs, etc. It has since new and is the last bike I would part with. Mine currently wears a combination of 10-spd Chorus & Centaur, just like my Ottrott. Waterford Cycles (Richard Schwinn) will build you a new one in the original factory where that '86 frameset was built. They are as well made as any of the better lugged steel framesets of the day. All that said, do agree that the price is a bit on the high side, unless the hubs are also Record or Chorus, which adds greatly to the value if they match the 9-spd shifters.

Don't worry about parts. Oldpotatoe can get you any part you might need. The serial number, which provides details on the size and when built, is stamped on the bottom of the BB. Sounds like a terrific bike to me.

BTW - I posted a pic of my '87 in 'Steel Bikes' thread (post #337) just a few days ago. The paint was done by Waterford in '98.

The voice of reason. Although concerning the price issue....As my Daughter said to me over Christmas "Dad what's a few hundred dollars over a few years, less than $10 a month?" That higher education really paid off. :beer:

Fixed
01-04-2011, 07:29 PM
bro how cool it is to show up on a club ride on a no cookie cutter bike something that rides great and has soul
.you cats know that already or you wouldn't be reading a thread on a 25 y/o. racing bike with a pedigree ..imho
cheers

Aaron O
01-04-2011, 07:29 PM
What it's worth has two components...

Is it worth $1,000 to you? I can't answer that.

Is it worth $1,000 on the market? With a Campy 9sp record group, I'd say pretty close to it. That's about what it would sell for on ebay...more parted out.

As for the rec below to get a "new and lighter bike", that newer and lighter bike won't have the long range collector value this bike has, it likely will be in a landfill long before this bike is through and it will have a lot less character, though that is subjective. Many folks, myself included, find steel a far more comfortable ride...especially over distance. Also ask yourself...do you really need an ultra light bike? If you're racing on a climb, probably. If not...not so much.

His statement about the spacing is also largely irrelevant in my opinion. Spreading a steel frame out 4mm is not a big deal and it's done all the time with no lasting damage. That's the beauty of steel...it's more adaptable. It can even be set back to 126mm.

As far as what you can get for $1,000 on the new bike market...pretty much an entry level bike which won't have long range value. In 10 years your bike will be worth more than you paid. In 10 years that bike will be considered junk on CL.

Hawker
01-04-2011, 07:41 PM
Got a bit more info and some pics. It is a 48cm with a 51cm TT, my size and weighs "around 19lbs"...which seems about right I think for this size.

Bike has been totally refurbed, repainted (original color) and new decals. Their asking price is a high, $1200. I think they must be trying to recoup some of the cost of the upgraded components and paint job. I'm not really a yellow guy but I do like this subdued shade. However, the purple wheels will have to go.

I've been looking for a fairly lightweight retro bike and this works for me...but the price doesn't. I'm talking to my wife.... :no: We'll see.

Thanks for the info folks.

Fixed
01-04-2011, 07:52 PM
some bike guys like odd colors imho
cheers

Aaron O
01-04-2011, 07:55 PM
Believe it or not, that repaint/refurb actually hurts its value...and leads to questions about rust and damage. On the plus side, it sure is pretty!

Considering that information, I think it's too high. I also think that's a weird sized bike...and if you're looking for bikes that small, the vintage/used market is going to be tough. Sometimes bikes that size sell cheaply because there are fewer people to ride them. Some times they sell very high because there are also fewer bikes that size...and women would be interested in that sized bike.

dekindy
01-04-2011, 08:05 PM
What it's worth has two components...

As for the rec below to get a "new and lighter bike", that newer and lighter bike won't have the long range collector value this bike has, it likely will be in a landfill long before this bike is through and it will have a lot less character, though that is subjective. Many folks, myself included, find steel a far more comfortable ride...especially over distance. Also ask yourself...do you really need an ultra light bike? If you're racing on a climb, probably. If not...not so much.

What planet do you live on? There is no collector value, the Gunnar is made of steel and will probably ride better and will last as long or longer and has it's own character.

I am a Schwinn Paramount fan, too. Realistically, unless he is looking for a retro look, the Gunnar is the best choice.

dekindy
01-04-2011, 08:14 PM
Got a bit more info and some pics. It is a 48cm with a 51cm TT, my size and weighs "around 19lbs"...which seems about right I think for this size.

Bike has been totally refurbed, repainted (original color) and new decals. Their asking price is a high, $1200. I think they must be trying to recoup some of the cost of the upgraded components and paint job. I'm not really a yellow guy but I do like this subdued shade. However, the purple wheels will have to go.

I've been looking for a fairly lightweight retro bike and this works for me...but the price doesn't. I'm talking to my wife.... :no: We'll see.

Reminds me of the guy that had a red Schwinn Paramount like mine, same size, era, etc. He restored it and raved about how great a bike it was and then sold it shortly after. He was asking a fortune for it, too, but did not get it. I was considering the same restoration and realized when I saw that picture and read that story that almost happened to me. It kept me from making a bad decision.

Aaron O
01-04-2011, 08:15 PM
Your planet doesn't assign value to Paramounts or SLX? OK...do me a favor, sell me all of the SLX Paramounts you find. I'll gladly give you $500-$600 for them when they have record attached.

Gunnar frames are excellent...you tell me where he'll find a Gunnar frame, built up, for 1,200. They also won't be Paramounts or SLX...and no...they likely won't be as valuable down the road.

dekindy
01-04-2011, 08:26 PM
Your planet doesn't assign value to Paramounts or SLX? OK...do me a favor, sell me all of the SLX Paramounts you find. I'll gladly give you $500-$600 for them when they have record attached.

Gunnar frames are excellent...you tell me where he'll find a Gunnar frame, built up, for 1,200. They also won't be Paramounts or SLX...and no...they likely won't be as valuable down the road.

I looked at Schwinn Paramount values extensively and these bikes do not sell for this price, not even close. It may be worth it to you but you are in a very small minority or market prices would be higher. Maybe this is an exception because of the size but that would be the only reason.

Aaron O
01-04-2011, 08:28 PM
Great...go get me SLX Paramounts for $500 with 9sp record. I'll give you $200 on top of it. If you're right, that shouldn't be overly difficult.

In the case of this particular bike, I think it's worth less than $1,000 because it's a repaint.

In the meantime...here's some Paramounts:

This one is worth less than an SLX and the parts group is less valuable than 9sp Record

http://cgi.ebay.com/Schwin-Paramount-853-Reynolds-Steel-Road-Bike-Gold-56cm-/130469650242?pt=Road_Bikes&hash=item1e6098df42#ht_4034wt_1083

This one is probably worth marginally more as a complete bike because it's original, but less parted out:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Schwinn-Paramount-56cm-Dura-Ace-Gruppo-Vintage-/200561705024?pt=Road_Bikes&hash=item2eb268c040#ht_1004wt_850

Same with this one (worth less because of size):

http://cgi.ebay.com/Schwinn-Paramount-P-13-1986-Vingage-Road-Bike-Racing-/300511325413?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45f7deece5#ht_2638wt_1083

Here's a completed listing...no way to know how much he took, but I'm sure it wasn't under $900

http://cgi.ebay.com/1991-Schwinn-Paramount-Track-Columbus-Tubes-Cinelli-BB-/230566904683?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35aedbc36b#ht_24038wt_1083

There were unsold Paramounts at around $900 on there (which of course doesn't include shipping), but none were SLX and none had 9sp Record. There were no completed Paramount sales at low prices...I am not counting PDGs.

Fixed
01-04-2011, 08:30 PM
http://www.bikeforums.net/archive/index.php/t-429144.html
cheers they can go for a lot sometimes imho
cheers

Hawker
01-04-2011, 08:38 PM
Believe it or not, that repaint/refurb actually hurts its value...and leads to questions about rust and damage. On the plus side, it sure is pretty!

Considering that information, I think it's too high. I also think that's a weird sized bike...and if you're looking for bikes that small, the vintage/used market is going to be tough. Sometimes bikes that size sell cheaply because there are fewer people to ride them. Some times they sell very high because there are also fewer bikes that size...and women would be interested in that sized bike.

Thanks for your thoughts Aaron. I will try to find out the story behind the repaint to see if rust or anything similar was an issue. It may be a weird size...but it is my size. A 50.5-51.5 TT is right in my sweet spot.

My wife is starting to flex a little on this purchase...but you and others have raised some good issues. I'd have to do something with the wheels, don't care for the stem and then I have even more money in it. On the plus side, I do like the color, the uniqueness. Point of fact; finding something really nice in my size happens about once a year, and I live on Ebay and Craigslist.

I'm still considering it, but I'm thinking I'd feel a LOT better at about $800.00

dekindy
01-04-2011, 09:08 PM
Thanks for your thoughts Aaron. I will try to find out the story behind the repaint to see if rust or anything similar was an issue. It may be a weird size...but it is my size. A 50.5-51.5 TT is right in my sweet spot.

My wife is starting to flex a little on this purchase...but you and others have raised some good issues. I'd have to do something with the wheels, don't care for the stem and then I have even more money in it. On the plus side, I do like the color, the uniqueness. Point of fact; finding something really nice in my size happens about once a year, and I live on Ebay and Craigslist.

I'm still considering it, but I'm thinking I'd feel a LOT better at about $800.00

Offer $600 and wait them out.

CordWoodyard
01-04-2011, 09:26 PM
I don't know if have looked already, but to be safe you should really go to Sheldon Brown and check the serial numbers. I'm not an expert but the Paramounts that people seem to be after are the hand built Fillet-brazing kind. But on a positive note, I LOVE THE PURPLE WHEELS!!!!!!!!

Cheers!
=^-^=

dekindy
01-04-2011, 09:51 PM
Great...go get me SLX Paramounts for $500 with 9sp record. I'll give you $200 on top of it. If you're right, that shouldn't be overly difficult.

In the case of this particular bike, I think it's worth less than $1,000 because it's a repaint.

In the meantime...here's some Paramounts:

This one is worth less than an SLX and the parts group is less valuable than 9sp Record

http://cgi.ebay.com/Schwin-Paramount-853-Reynolds-Steel-Road-Bike-Gold-56cm-/130469650242?pt=Road_Bikes&hash=item1e6098df42#ht_4034wt_1083

This one is probably worth marginally more as a complete bike because it's original, but less parted out:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Schwinn-Paramount-56cm-Dura-Ace-Gruppo-Vintage-/200561705024?pt=Road_Bikes&hash=item2eb268c040#ht_1004wt_850

http://cgi.ebay.com/Schwinn-Paramount-P-13-1986-Vingage-Road-Bike-Racing-/300511325413?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45f7deece5#ht_2638wt_1083

Here's a completed listing...no way to know how much he took, but I'm sure it wasn't under $900

http://cgi.ebay.com/1991-Schwinn-Paramount-Track-Columbus-Tubes-Cinelli-BB-/230566904683?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35aedbc36b#ht_24038wt_1083

There were unsold Paramounts at around $900 on there (which of course doesn't include shipping), but none were SLX and none had 9sp Record. There were no completed Paramount sales at low prices...I am not counting PDGs.

Show me some completed sales at these prices. I saw a lot of Paramounts offered for sale at these prices a few years ago but they never sold. They were relisted over and over.

If you can find Paramounts selling at these prices they are collectibles and not for riding. The OP wants to ride, not collect.

Paramounts are special bikes to me too. Like I said, my riding buddy's inclination was that mine was worth a lot. Research showed me otherwise. If the OP wants to pay above average price for a Paramount it is okay with me. I have not seen any evidence that changes my impression of the market based upon my prior research.

StellaBlue
01-04-2011, 10:10 PM

Non will be selling at the listed prices IMO.. There are Paramounts and there are Paramounts.. Give me something 75ish or earlier or pass....

R2D2
01-05-2011, 05:53 AM

Is that a McIntosh in the back ground?
Blue meters look familar.

R2D2
01-05-2011, 06:01 AM

I had a black one. With the chrome chainstay. Unfortunately the head tube
was faced incorrectly according to Schwinn. The front end dropped a good 1/4". I didn't notice till it tried to kill me coming down Mt Mitchell. Schwinn replaced it but would not provide a model with a chrome chainstay. Also they fought hard claiming the shop was responsible. I finally won saying the shop said Schwinn and was therefore their agent. Let Schwinn and the shop work it out. But I was w/o a ride. I sold it as soon as it arrived as there were too many hard feelings. It road OK but nothing spectacular.

jvp
01-05-2011, 06:49 AM
Waterford Paramounts will probably never be as collectable or expensive as classic 60s / 70s Chicago Paramounts, but they are lighter, nicely built, and more adaptable to modern componentry. Here's my '89 waterford OS, bought from spoke! Mostly period parts ( 8spd dura ace sti) 19.5lbs
http://velospace.org/files/89paramount.JPG

snah
01-05-2011, 07:19 AM
Waterford Paramounts will probably never be as collectable or expensive as classic 60s / 70s Chicago Paramounts, but they are lighter, nicely built, and more adaptable to modern componentry. Here's my '89 waterford OS, bought from spoke! Mostly period parts ( 8spd dura ace sti) 19.5lbs

Collectible or not, that's one beaut of a bike, but I'm also a sucker for level top tube steel. :)

97CSI
01-05-2011, 07:52 AM
Is that a McIntosh in the back ground? Blue meters look familar.Yes, an MA6600 with TM2 module. Downsized from separates for retirement.

As far as the '86 Paramount, I agree that it will never be a collectible (like the '88 50th Anniv and Nervex lugged models). Primarily because there are so many available. However, that does not keep it from being an excellent lugged steel bicycle with the more desirable SLX tubing. Send the hubs to your favorite rebuilder (oldpatatoe, etc.) and put on some black OP or DT rims and good forever (at least a long time).

Having a repaint likely has nothing to do with rust. My Paramount was repainted because it was, like most bikes that are 20+ years-old, scratched and chipped and tired looking. If/when you receive, pull the seatpost and drop the fork and BB and do a FramSavr spray inside the tubes (don't forget the seatstays) and you'll be good for 2-3 years until you do it again. Same as with any steel frameset.

flickwet
01-05-2011, 08:45 AM
bro the thing with old bikes..
some poor young cat lusted for one back in the day,
but didn't have deep pockets then .....
now is a different story
cats sees one in great shape
money doesn't matter
imho
cheers
and the guy seems to be riffing like ...well I'll be damned, welcome home Fixed

cmg
01-05-2011, 08:47 AM
i understand the OP point of view. frames of this size are difficult if not impossible to find. Most have a 75-76 degree seat post tube angle. While he could build a frame (without a fork) for this cost he can't build a complete rideable bike of this quality for this cost. agree with most $1200 is high, especially if your going to dump the wheels. expect less than $300 for them on eBay. you could scab together a carbon frame/fork/complete for near this cost off ebay parts but most frames will have a 75-76 degree seat tube angle.

flickwet
01-05-2011, 08:57 AM
what can ya get for 1200 bucks that's nicer? nothin new that's for sure. But with an older Paramount, or any of the classics (Serotta etc.) for 1200 bucks ya got all the Record you ever need, on a SLX like new frameset, and some bragging rights, and I'm sorry but as far as I'm concerned ya got a bike with a bushel full of soul.

SPOKE
01-05-2011, 09:23 AM

Yep....that's a nice one. If you ever decide to sell it I'd consider buying it back!

dekindy
01-05-2011, 10:15 AM
http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?id=tech/2009/reviews/schwinn_paramount09

I tried to win one of these in a contest. I cannot find a current offer so they either soldout the 70 max production run or discontinued for lack of interest unless someone can point me to a current offer. If I had won the contest I don't know if I would have ridden it or just kept it to look at. I probably would have ridden it but the first scratch would have been a heartbreaker.

StellaBlue
01-05-2011, 10:41 AM
http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?id=tech/2009/reviews/schwinn_paramount09

I tried to win one of these in a contest. I cannot find a current offer so they either soldout the 70 max production run or discontinued for lack of interest unless someone can point me to a current offer. If I had won the contest I don't know if I would have ridden it or just kept it to look at. I probably would have ridden it but the first scratch would have been a heartbreaker.

Why they put a carbon fork on that, I will never understand...

97CSI
01-05-2011, 10:49 AM

I tried to win one of these in a contest. I cannot find a current offer so they either soldout the 70 max production run or discontinued for lack of interest unless someone can point me to a current offer. If I had won the contest I don't know if I would have ridden it or just kept it to look at. I probably would have ridden it but the first scratch would have been a heartbreaker.I'm sorry, but that's simply not a Paramount. The Schwinn and Paramount names have been sold many times to such folks as Pacific, etc., and have become bastard bicycles, like the one shown in your post. Nice bastards in some cases, but bastards nonetheless. The Match-built Paramounts were great bikes, as were some built in 753. But, NO Paramount has a sloping top-tube. Anything built since '92 (when the Schwinn and Paramount names were sold the hightest bidder) is arguable not a Schwinn or, especially, not a Paramount. If you want a Paramount built today, then contact Richard Schwinn at Waterford and have it built in the original Waterford, WI Paramount plant by someone named Schwinn. Ooops......... guess my Paramount-centric bias is showing. :)

dekindy
01-05-2011, 11:28 AM
I'm sorry, but that's simply not a Paramount. The Schwinn and Paramount names have been sold many times to such folks as Pacific, etc., and have become bastard bicycles, like the one shown in your post. Nice bastards in some cases, but bastards nonetheless. The Match-built Paramounts were great bikes, as were some built in 753. But, NO Paramount has a sloping top-tube. Anything built since '92 (when the Schwinn and Paramount names were sold the hightest bidder) is arguable not a Schwinn or, especially, not a Paramount. If you want a Paramount built today, then contact Richard Schwinn at Waterford and have it built in the original Waterford, WI Paramount plant by someone named Schwinn. Ooops......... guess my Paramount-centric bias is showing. :)

I guess you did not read the article. They are made by Richard Schwinn in the Waterford, WI plant. As for the rest, if Richard Schwinn is willing to produce it and put the Paramount name on it, that is good enough for me.

robertt8883
01-05-2011, 11:44 AM
Hi there is a couple of paramounts on ebay right now check them out before you jump.
Also i will give you this website to search for any bike be sure to use a 3000 mil radius when you search trying to help there is always a better deal oput there some where try this www.searchtempest.com

Regards
Robert
ukitis@yahoo.com

97CSI
01-05-2011, 11:49 AM
I guess you did not read the article. They are made by Richard Schwinn in the Waterford, WI plant. As for the rest, if Richard Schwinn is willing to produce it and put the Paramount name on it, that is good enough for me.You are correct. Did not read. But, will stick with the no sloping top-tube on a Paramount. :) Perhaps a 'Paramount II'.

Nooch
01-05-2011, 03:31 PM
got bored at work and searched all of craigslist, found this example of an older paramount, with the record hubs, in what looks like decent condition...

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/bik/2133809446.html

just passing it along :)

Keith A
01-05-2011, 05:04 PM
Hawker -- I have several Schwinn catalogs from that era including one from '86, however they don't list the geometry in this particular catalog. The '88 catalog does have the geometry and it shows a 485mm seat tube, 520mm top tube, 72º HTA, 75º HTA, 70mm BB drop, 410mm CS length, and 40mm fork rake. Obviously, this could be different than the '86 you are looking at, but the numbers should be close.

Update: The '86 catalog lists the sizes from 485mm to 635mm, so it sounds like the one you are looking at is actually 485mm. Did you get the serial number from under the bottom bracket? This number can tell you the size and when it was made. BTW, this color was called "Solo Yellow".