PDA

View Full Version : Serotta Atlanta vs. Gunnar Roadie

blantonator
01-04-2011, 11:40 AM
I currently have an unbuilt '99 Serotta Atlanta with a 1" F1 threaded fork. It's got a few chips and scratches, could probably use a repaint, and would like to upgrade to a threadless fork. On the other hand I have the opportunity to pick up a few year old Gunnar Roadie with a carbon fork for a pretty good deal.

How do these two bikes compare? They're both steel, but how does the OX Plat compare to the Colorado concept used on the Serotta?

Thanks!

Pete Serotta
01-04-2011, 11:50 AM
Try for fit and ride characteristics you want :) Best 1st selection process.

Paint and new fork will run you some $$s but the F1 fork is still a good fork. If you want a new one inch fork we, as well as some others, have replacement (Not f1) though.

I am still using my F1 fork when going to far distance places. It has worked fine and still does. For paint jobs, price really depends on WHO does it and number of colours and layout. A single color is cheapest and there are some good painters that folks on the forum know off.

PETE

blantonator
01-04-2011, 11:54 AM
Try for fit and ride characteristics you want :) Best 1st selection process.

Paint and new fork will run you some $$s but the F1 fork is still a good fork. If you want a new one inch fork we, as well as some others, have replacement (Not f1) though.

I am still using my F1 fork when going to far distance places. It has worked fine and still does. For paint jobs, price really depends on WHO does it and number of colours and layout. A single color is cheapest and there are some good painters that folks on the forum know off.

PETE

The fit on both frames is almost identical, except the Gunnar is a compact geometry. I want to ditch the F1 fork because, I want to ditch the heavy quill stem.

fourflys
01-04-2011, 11:58 AM
Well, a Gunnar is basically a tig welded Waterford and those are pretty nice bikes... I'd say the Gunnar might be a better bike because of newer steel tech (air hardened) the outspoken cyclist just did a great interview with Richard Schwinn that is on the net...

Pete Serotta
01-04-2011, 11:59 AM
The fit on both frames is almost identical, except the Gunnar is a compact geometry. I want to ditch the F1 fork because, I want to ditch the heavy quill stem.

another option is buy a used Rynolds Pro and then sell the F1 and stem then.

Ken Robb
01-04-2011, 12:00 PM
I can only say that I have never ridden any bike from either of these builders that I didn't think was fine. I had a Waterford RS11 with all carbon and Waterford steel fork. I liked the ride of both forks. The all carbon was lighter but I preferred the look and adjustability of the steelie w/quill stem plus it had clearance for fatter tires. Although I wouldn't have paid any extra to swap either way I can't help feel more confidence in a steel fork over the long haul/rough usage. I don't subscribe to the "carbon forks will explode" mindset either and I'm very happy with my Alpha-Q Cross fork on my Strada Bianca.

My guess would be that you will prefer the one that fits you best or looks the prettiest to you. :beer: I don't think you can lose either way.

The two Atlantas I rode w/steel forks were lovely as was the CSi w/F1 carbon fork i used to own.

blantonator
01-04-2011, 12:01 PM
another option is buy a used Rynolds Pro and then sell the F1 and stem then.

That was original plan, but am I better off with a 1 1/8th head tube vs. 1"?

Pete Serotta
01-04-2011, 12:11 PM
That was original plan, but am I better off with a 1 1/8th head tube vs. 1"?

One inch head tube on frame limits the fork to a one inch. Then on stem, you use a spacer to go down to 1 inch fork size. It does work for I have had the Ritchey fork on a F1 one inch (Or Reynolds)

blantonator
01-04-2011, 01:06 PM
Is the 1 1/8" headtube going to be stiffer than a 1"?

christian
01-04-2011, 01:23 PM
Is the 1 1/8" headtube going to be stiffer than a 1"?Yes, but that's hardly material to the question at hand. Without riding both bikes, you'll never really know. If you are really set on getting rid of the quill stem, perhaps the Roadie is the easier move. Finding all-carbon 1" forks is getting a bit difficult alas. If one bike speaks to you more, you should get that one, simple as that.

As far as threaded vs threadless, I never really noticed much difference between my threaded bikes and threadless bikes. Threadless does seem slightly stiffer, and makes it easier to adjust the headset (which I do infrequently), but makes it impossible to change the stem height without adjusting the headset. Threaded headsets are more of a pain to adjust (well, not really, but they require special tools you are unlikely to have on a ride), but make moving the bars up and down easier. All in all, it's six one way, half dozen the other to me.

weiwentg
01-04-2011, 01:36 PM
I have a Gunnar and I love it, but if you already have an Atlanta, I'd go with that. Might as well get ridden.

blantonator
01-04-2011, 01:58 PM
I rode the Serotta for well over a year before it I stole parts from it to build a cross bike.

http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/7338/serotta1.jpg

Two reasons for wanting to move to a quill stem, are the limited selection of bars, and I want to get down a few lbs in weight (will also be helped by a full carbon fork(easton or reynolds). The paint on the rear drop out has rubbed through from chain on the 11th tooth of the cassette. Along with some other chips, it could use a repaint.

The Gunnar in question...
http://img827.imageshack.us/img827/7683/n1407122344562919528.jpg

If it's in good shape, it would be easier and cheaper to move to a threadless fork, since I could then sell the Serotta

If the Serotta is a better bike, then maybe I'll stick with it, but if it's a wash, then the Gunnar would be cheaper.

dekindy
01-04-2011, 01:59 PM
When you say unbuilt, what do you mean? Is the frame and fork all that you have? Do you want to build the Atlanta with classic components and have a classic ride or with modern components? I personally would not be happy with an older bike in need of a paint job as my primary ride but that may not matter to you.

I have not ridden either bike but have read much about both and seriously considered the Gunnar Roadie when I purchased my first modern bike which ended up being a Fierte. I sold the Fierte frame when I found a Legend at a great price but wish that I had not. I wish I had kept it and watched and waited patiently and rebuilt it with used components at an affordable price. Instead I purchase a 1993ish Serotta Colorado complete bike from a forum member as a backup/trainer bike. It has a great ride, but not as good as the 2006 Fierte.

The Atlanta is going to be a great all-arounder with a classic ride on par with any steel built bike of it's era. It also has classic looks. As others have said, the Gunnar would be a great choice also. It sounds like you can only have one. So ask yourself whether you would like to have a classic bike or a modern bike?
When I was still riding my Schwinn Paramount, vintage 1989, I had several racer types riding the latest carbon frames look at my bike and tell me that they wish they had a smooth riding steel lugged bike to train on, FWTW.

blantonator
01-04-2011, 02:02 PM
When you say unbuilt, what do you mean? Is the frame and fork all that you have? Do you want to build the Atlanta with classic components and have a classic ride or with modern components?

I have not ridden either bike but have read much about both and seriously considered the Gunnar Roadie when I purchased my first modern bike which ended up being a Fierte. I sold the Fierte frame when I found a Legend at a great price but wish that I had not. I wish I had kept it and watched and waited patiently and rebuilt it with used components at an affordable price. Instead I purchase a 1993ish Serotta Colorado complete bike from a forum member as a backup/trainer bike. It has a great ride, but not as good as the 2006 Fierte.

The Atlanta is going to be a great all-arounder with a classic ride on par with any steel built bike of it's era. It also has classic looks. As others have said, the Gunnar would be a great choice also. It sounds like you can only have one. So ask yourself whether you would like to have a classic bike or a modern bike? I personally would not be happy with an older bike in need of a paint job as my primary ride but that may not matter to you,

When I was still riding my Schwinn Paramount, vintage 1989, I had several racer types riding the latest carbon frames look at my bike and tell me that they wish they had a smooth riding steel lugged bike to train on, FWTW.

I did the classic look thing, and it was a tank. I found myself riding my cross bike which weighed 3 lbs less. When I do it again, I want modern components.

dekindy
01-04-2011, 02:03 PM
Just saw your last post. If it were me I would go with the Gunnar.

eddief
01-04-2011, 02:34 PM
you will hit a wall, but won't be able to tell the difference which bike you were on when you did it.

fourflys
01-04-2011, 02:49 PM
well, the Gunnar looks fantastic to my eyes... the Atlanta has a certain 80's look that I can do without... as I said, while I'm sure the Atlanta is a fantastic made bike for it's time there have been improvements to steels and I would think the Gunnar will ride a little different because of it... better or worse? well, that's in the eye of the rider...

There are a couple items about OS2 steel and air-hardening as well here (http://gunnarbikes.com/site/support/faqs/)

I think a LOT of people would put a Waterford on par with a Serotta in most cases and a Gunnar is just a production version (with a custom option), tig welded Waterford according to Richard Schwinn...

BTW- HERE (http://www.wjcu.org/2010/12/18/the-outspoken-cyclist-12182010) is the link to the interview with Richard where he talks about this a bit...

Just my .02, but I would get the Gunnar hands down just on looks alone...

Chris

phcollard
01-04-2011, 02:52 PM
I would keep the Serotta which is IMHO a more unique and classy bike. I mean no other offer the swagged tubing and the ride is still excellent even by today's standard. Plus it has beautiful lugs and paint job. If I was standing in front of the two bikes it wouldn't take me half of a second to go to the Serotta. The Gunnar may ride very nice as well (never tried one) but it just looks like another bike. Nothing special here.

If you want to ditch the quill stem and gain weight as Pete said you can get a 1'' Reynolds fork. And if you want the current bar offering a modern stem with a 1'' to 1'' 1/8 spacer will work perfectly.

But it's just me... if you don't want to keep the Atlanta just let me know. I'll buy :)

christian
01-04-2011, 02:58 PM
I looked at the pictures. Keep the Serotta.

Peter P.
01-04-2011, 04:11 PM

YOU'RE THINKING OF GETTING RID OF THIS?!

Let me have a hit off your pipe; that must be some good stuff you're smokin'...

The weight's irrelevant. The type of steel each frame is constructed of is irrelevant. More important is the shape and diameter of the tubes, and the Atlanta has the Gunnar licked in that department.

Regarding the bar stem issue, unless you move to a carbon fork with a 1" threadless STEEL steerer, you may experience some flex and strength issues because carbon and aluminum steerers in 1" are not as stiff as steel. Wound Up is the only manufacturer I know that offers a 1" steel steerer.

I think the best solution is a quill adapter with a contemporary stem to fit the bars you're interested in. That Atlanta is definitely worthy of a repaint.

phcollard
01-04-2011, 04:13 PM
What Peter P. said :)

Your Atlanta is a very, very beautiful bike.

slowgoing
01-04-2011, 04:19 PM
keep the Gunnar and sell the Serotta to me!

fourflys
01-04-2011, 04:26 PM
The type of steel each frame is constructed of is irrelevant. .

that's a pretty broad statement right there... while I agree it probably wouldn't make a huge difference, there IS a difference...

Pete Serotta
01-04-2011, 04:29 PM
Is the 1 1/8" headtube going to be stiffer than a 1"?

I personally have not been able to tell a riding stiffness difference between a F1 and 1 and 1/6 inch non f1. The F1 was built stout.

There is more than enough info here and at the end of the day, it comes down to you and what puts a smile on your face.

I am very biased but for me the SEROTTA ATL is the better rider. As to carbon and threadless fork that if your personal choice.

Good luck with your decision and let us know your ride and fit opinions when you pull the trigger on either.
PETE

vqdriver
01-04-2011, 04:41 PM
i'd go gunnar. sometimes you just want to move on and the 1" standard can be PITA in that regard.

maxdog
01-04-2011, 05:32 PM

YOU'RE THINKING OF GETTING RID OF THIS?!

Let me have a hit off your pipe; that must be some good stuff you're smokin'...

The weight's irrelevant. The type of steel each frame is constructed of is irrelevant. More important is the shape and diameter of the tubes, and the Atlanta has the Gunnar licked in that department.

Regarding the bar stem issue, unless you move to a carbon fork with a 1" threadless STEEL steerer, you may experience some flex and strength issues because carbon and aluminum steerers in 1" are not as stiff as steel. Wound Up is the only manufacturer I know that offers a 1" steel steerer.

I think the best solution is a quill adapter with a contemporary stem to fit the bars you're interested in. That Atlanta is definitely worthy of a repaint.

+1

Fixed
01-04-2011, 06:20 PM
bro do the serotta
unless you are racing
cos that serotta is way to nice to crash
imho cheers

eddief
01-04-2011, 06:33 PM
life's too short to not worry about at least two bikes.

rugbysecondrow
01-04-2011, 06:40 PM
If you have the cash and it fits correctly then go for the gunnar. It will likely be lighter, a better ride and will be exciting. Can you keep the Atlanta for a fixed gear steed?

oliver1850
01-04-2011, 08:27 PM
As much as I like my Atlanta, and wish it had the paint job yours does, I think the Gunnar is the right bike for you as you describe your priorities. The Atlanta will never be as light, and the 1" fork is an issue for you.

For me it would be just the opposite. I wouldn't trade my Atlanta for 2 sloping top tube Anythings, assuming I had to keep them and look at them.
I'd probably consider trading for a lugged Waterford and a Gunnar though.

Get the Gunnar and send that beautiful Atlanta up to Montreal.

blantonator
01-04-2011, 09:17 PM
If you have the cash and it fits correctly then go for the gunnar. It will likely be lighter, a better ride and will be exciting. Can you keep the Atlanta for a fixed gear steed?

I like the sound of this. Two bikes it is!

fourflys
01-04-2011, 09:31 PM
I like the sound of this. Two bikes it is!

sweet! now, you're obligated to post a comparison of the two.... :D

eddief
01-04-2011, 09:50 PM
i have ever seen in my all my years on the forum. We can move mountains...and get people to blow dough on the best sh*t.

swg
01-04-2011, 10:25 PM
I agree with whatever you have to do to keep the Atlanta. I have a modern steel Guru which is a very nice bike and bought an Atlanta earlier this year that rides like a dream. Not sure what "tank" you are referring to but my Atlanta weighs around 18.5 - 21 lbs depending if I have 0 to 2 full water bottles on it :) I have kept both bikes and enjoy riding them.

FWIW it seems former Atlanta owners on this forum always lament the fact that they are former Atlanta owners.

beungood
01-08-2011, 04:17 PM
Atlanta!

Fixed
01-08-2011, 04:27 PM
bro i can't see how it's even close you see the thing is ...
if the cats a little over weight wearing a team kit riding that white sloping top tube bike ( and i am not saying it's not a great bike ) well i know what i would look like and it would not be visually stimulating .
imho cheers

Scott Shire
01-08-2011, 09:18 PM
It's the Serotta ALL THE WAY. Not even close. TIG welded seat clusters are never worthy of lust.

But, for the love of all things holy, do not convert that Atlanta to a fix. Sheesh. I mean, I don't personally own a geared road bike at this very moment, and I think fixed is the bees knees, but it's a Serotta. Besmirch it not.

rphetteplace
01-09-2011, 11:44 AM
The paint on the Gunnar will flake off like glitter off a stripper, the Serotta paint is excellent.

fourflys
01-09-2011, 03:03 PM
The paint on the Gunnar will flake off like glitter off a stripper, the Serotta paint is excellent.

is this first hand knowledge or just something you read on the net?

eddief
01-09-2011, 03:50 PM
paint still near perfect. think the paint issues at gunnar were sometime back.

oliver1850
01-09-2011, 10:09 PM
Can't comment on current paint, but an aquaintance has a Waterford that's several years old with the paint pealing. I was really surprised, given the quality of Waterford in general. Hopefully the issue has been resolved.

rphetteplace
01-09-2011, 11:08 PM
is this first hand knowledge or just something you read on the net?

first, second, and third hand knowledge. (3 separate local friends, different colors, different year bikes)

97CSI
01-10-2011, 05:25 PM
The paint on the Gunnar will flake off like glitter off a stripper, the Serotta paint is excellent.Actually, so is the Gunnar's. Probably close to the Serotta. Waterford does excellent work.

As far as which to go with, I'll agree with the folks who think that the Gunnar is a better match to the OP's description of his wants/needs.