PDA

View Full Version : interesting alternative for extending steerer/stem height

eddief
01-03-2011, 08:32 PM
I have seen a number of approaches to getting more steerer/stem height, but had never seen this one prior to today. From BBB and available at Bikyle and elsewhere on the net. Appears to be an extender that works with threaded forks, but maybe threadless too. And it seems as if it might provide a smoother look than most because it comes with spacers over which you'd put normal headset spacers and then the threadless stem. I think the idea is a completely smooth transition from top of headset up to the stem.

I like the VO model, but it still looks clunky due to the curve at the top. Think the BBB version gets rid of that. VO on the left, BBB on the right. Same concept, different approach.

From Bikyle website "Like to sit up higher on the front end of your bike? This ingenious adapter enables you to make your fork's steering tube longer without affecting the current headset system. Compatible for both threaded and threadless systems. The extender secures inside the steering tube with a wedge system. Includes spacers to add the extra stack height. Color is silver. Stocked in both 1" and 1 1/8" diameters."

allenwhy
01-03-2011, 08:36 PM
i have one! but not for raising my stem. i use it so i can run a thomson stem on my 1 inch threaded bike.

eddief
01-03-2011, 08:37 PM
would like to see photo of the BBB installed.

tv_vt
01-03-2011, 08:38 PM
Only for steel steerers.

allenwhy
01-03-2011, 08:41 PM
this is good for raising your steerer height if it is cut too low:
http://bikeisland.com/images/SM1975.jpg

eddief
01-03-2011, 08:44 PM
the bulbous outcropping at the bottom as it goes inside the steerer and takes care of the bulge with the transitional spacers that come with it.

eddief
01-03-2011, 09:04 PM
your spacers over the spacers it comes with:

roydyates
01-03-2011, 10:18 PM
your spacers over the spacers it comes with:
On a threadled headset, does the BBB extender/converter work the same as the other stem adaptors like the VO and others? That is, you leave your headset alone and you just replace your quill stem with the adapter and threadless stem?

If so, then the novelty is that it will extend a theadless steel steerer?

Also, does the 1 inch version use 1 inch threadless stems or 1 & 1/8 stems?

Thanks,
...Roy

eddief
01-03-2011, 10:40 PM
think they make two versions; one that goes into 1 inch fork and the other that goes into 1.125 forks. Will work with either threaded or threadless headsets.

think the slightly unique thing is that it comes with its own spacers that allow you to stick it into the fork as far as you want, then you put normal headset spacers on over the included spacers, then your threadless stem on top of those. With a threadless headset the look would be normal as in my last photo.

With a threaded headset, I think it would look more normal than the VO, but youd still have the headset lucknut at the bottom and the threadless spacers on top of that, so maybe no big deal. But I have never seen this accessory prior to today.

I'd guess the 1 inch version could work with either 1 inch or 1.125 stems provided you used a shim with a 1 inch fork and a 1.125 stem.

roydyates
01-03-2011, 11:45 PM
think they make two versions; one that goes into 1 inch fork and the other that goes into 1.125 forks. Will work with either threaded or threadless headsets.

think the slightly unique thing is that it comes with its own spacers that allow you to stick it into the fork as far as you want, then you put normal headset spacers on over the included spacers, then your threadless stem on top of those. With a threadless headset the look would be normal as in my last photo.

With a threaded headset, I think it would look more normal than the VO, but youd still have the headset lucknut at the bottom and the threadless spacers on top of that, so maybe no big deal. But I have never seen this accessory prior to today.

I'd guess the 1 inch version could work with either 1 inch or 1.125 stems provided you used a shim with a 1 inch fork and a 1.125 stem.

What you suggest sounds right. However, to work right in a threadless setup, the inner diameter of the steerer would have to be a standard size (ie one standard for 1 inch and a different standard for 1 & 1/8). Perhaps they are, but it seems like there is no particular reason that they should be.

BTW Whenever I see your Berkeley location, I remember the year I lived there VERY fondly.

eddief
01-04-2011, 09:13 AM
is there is a model that fits into 1 inch steerers and another that fits into 1.125 steerers. They each fit for their internal diameter. And then the included spacers bring out the OD to match the real fork steerer's real OD. and then you mount the stem on that OD and space it up or down with "normal" spacers. That could be for height, aesthetics or both.

Berkeley has been very very good to me.