PDA

View Full Version : This is what it's all about . . .

BumbleBeeDave
01-03-2011, 06:36 PM
. . . when you talk about "custom fitted" cycles. I found this on the Serotta page on Facebook.

Others can make fun as much as they want of the unorthodox appearance of some Serotta bikes . . . "faster backwards" or whatever.

But for me the fact remains that this is what it's all about. Make a bike that will let the individual rider enjoy their ride for as long as possible. Does it look a little unorthodox? Yeah, sure . . . This guy is 90 years old. Looks pretty happy with his Serotta, doesn't he?

Here's what it says with the pic:

There is a new Serotta Classique TI on the road out of Big Shark Bikes in St. Louis, MO. This replaced a earlier well ridden TI Serotta and was "tweaked" to allow more standover when you are in your 9th decade. We all hope we are still riding then!

:banana: :beer: :hello:

BBD

chuckroast
01-03-2011, 06:41 PM
I saw that today too. That guy is a major dude. We should all be so fortunate at his age.

oliver1850
01-03-2011, 06:42 PM
We should all be so lucky as that guy. There's a local 75+ guy that does the club time trial most every week. He rides a recumbent and doesn't go very fast, but it's great to see him out there.

tele
01-03-2011, 06:43 PM
an inspiration to anyone at any level

Fixed
01-03-2011, 06:45 PM
that made my heart happy
thanks
cheers

thegunner
01-03-2011, 06:47 PM
if i can still ride when i'm 90, i don't give two craps what people say about the aesthetics of my bike. major props to him.

Frankwurst
01-03-2011, 06:50 PM
That's exactly what it is all about and may the fleas of a thousand camels infest the armpits of those that don't get it. :beer:

SpeedyChix
01-03-2011, 06:50 PM
90 and still riding = win!

R2D2
01-03-2011, 06:54 PM
Go DUDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ken Robb
01-03-2011, 07:31 PM
It's very cool but he might "only" be 81 and one could say he's in his ninth decade. :banana: :beer:

BumbleBeeDave
01-03-2011, 07:39 PM
It's very cool but he might "only" be 81 and one could say he's in his ninth decade. :banana: :beer:

. . . for going out riding at 81! :D

BBD

BumbleBeeDave
01-03-2011, 07:39 PM
. . . that Serotta Pete is older than this! :p

BBD

TMB
01-03-2011, 08:01 PM
BBD,

Agreed. That bike is beautiful.

I get so damned tired of the carping comments from certain quarters about whether the bike "looks right".

The guy is riding in comfort.

I did a climbing clinic a couple of years ago that Axel Merckx put on one weekend. Lots of young guns that travelled long distances to be here and "show their stuff"

The one guy who out climbed everyone all weekend was 76 years old.

He was riding a Felt CF bike with a high rise stem, an XT 32 tooth cassette and RD.

Lots of people would have carped about his bike.

Some people there did.

Axel, to his credit, did not.

And the 76 year old fellow just smiled and climbed his guts out all weekend.

Tonger
01-03-2011, 08:07 PM
That gentleman looks an awful lot like Coach Wooden...

wc1934
01-03-2011, 08:11 PM
Guy looks great for his age - we should all be so lucky - wonder what they will take away from me first - my car or my bike

tkbike
01-03-2011, 08:13 PM
if i can still ride when i'm 90, i don't give two craps what people say about the aesthetics of my bike. major props to him.

+ 1
I'm very early 50's and don't give two craps what people say about aesthetics either. It doesn't matter now, has never mattered and will never matter!

Fixed
01-03-2011, 08:17 PM
some bike builders might not go out on a limb to help a cat out .serotta did though .
imho cheers

spiderman
01-03-2011, 08:25 PM
that i'll ride a century on my 100th birthday...

Iceman
01-10-2011, 01:12 AM
Anyone who has an issue with what kind of bike an oldster is riding is a wanker.

thegunner
01-10-2011, 01:46 AM
Anyone who has an issue with what kind of bike anybody is riding is a wanker.

ftfy

Iceman
01-11-2011, 11:43 AM
Am I mistaken or is he one of the "Band of Brothers"? Really, he looks very familiar.

If you ride in this country, you are akin to Bastogne and being surrounded by the dreaded nazi autos.
"For he who bleeds with me...."

Kirk007
01-11-2011, 02:23 PM
+ 1
I'm very early 50's and don't give two craps what people say about aesthetics either. It doesn't matter now, has never mattered and will never matter!

Well, I'm with BBD and this gent - what a great story, but for some folks aesthetics absolutely matter, and that's fine as long as they don't try to impose those feelings/beliefs on others. Just as for those who couldn't care less about aesthetics are absolutely entitled to those beliefs, as long as they don't impose those beliefs on others.

Me, a bike's aesthetics matter; I like the machine itself. But aesthetics are personal, and also flow from function and the act of riding. I think this gent's bike is beautiful for that very reason. To each his own and the h*ll with what others think is my bottom line.

sdlesko
01-17-2011, 09:30 PM
The rides were kinda flat...but his bike weighs 35 lbs !!! He averaged 13 mph. There was 3 generations biking on the rides ...my dad, me, and my son. Doesn't get much better than that.

Louis
01-17-2011, 11:00 PM
There is a new Serotta Classique TI on the road out of Big Shark Bikes in St. Louis, MO

Thread drift:

Big Shark may soon be my LBS. The main (and only) shop is down in U-City, closer to downtown, but both bike shops that were near me (out west in the Chesterfield valley) closed last year and there was an "official rumor" that Big Shark was going to open a store in the valley. That would be way-cool, because they are if not the #1 store in St Louis, then certainly in the top three, and have been great to deal with the times that I've been there.

Dekonick
01-17-2011, 11:13 PM
His stem is too short. ;)

Joel
01-18-2011, 01:10 PM
Hey guys!

:banana: That's my dad! :banana: We started riding together back during the bike boom of the '70's. He's still at it.

Now that bike has a heck of a back story that I'll tell you about.

Dad has had a bunch of back issues and it is very hard for him to swing his leg up and over the saddle. Once he's on the bike he's an animal - and can uncork a sprint that still makes me nervous. The issue was getting on and off.

So, after much discussion, debate and many designs he had a new bike made that replicates the angles of his "old" bike but will allow him to swing his leg over. The folks at Serotta did an outstanding job in working with some very tight specifications and produced a darn fine looking machine.

We all had a lot of concerns initally about what the bike would look like. Would it look like a girl's bike? Would it be a bad mixte? Big investment with some risk.

But at the end of the day the conversation simply became one of - at 78 ride whatever the heck you want - cause you can!

Heck, I hope I can ride that thing when I'm 78!

Joel

rice rocket
01-18-2011, 01:14 PM
:beer:

Louis
01-18-2011, 01:16 PM
Hey guys! :banana: That's my dad! :banana:

Great. Where did he go to high-school? :D

Just kidding - I'm not originally from St Louis.

(For all you non-St Louis types, that's the classic "getting to know you" question around here.)

tuxbailey
01-18-2011, 01:26 PM
Very nice!

old_fat_and_slow
01-18-2011, 01:53 PM
Dude's handlebar dropoff from seat height is all effed up.

Put him in the proper TT position or put him on a 'bent !!! :crap:

Jez, messin' with you guys. Props to him. Hope I can still ride when I'm that age (next year, BTW). :p

(He looks a little like John Wooden.)

54ny77
01-18-2011, 01:58 PM
wow what a great story.

that's kinda like fred mengoni riding around central park in nyc.

still getting out there come hell or high water.

bravo to the old guys! :beer:

Samster
01-18-2011, 09:37 PM
Hey guys!

:banana: That's my dad! :banana: We started riding together back during the bike boom of the '70's. He's still at it.

Now that bike has a heck of a back story that I'll tell you about.

Dad has had a bunch of back issues and it is very hard for him to swing his leg up and over the saddle. Once he's on the bike he's an animal - and can uncork a sprint that still makes me nervous. The issue was getting on and off.

So, after much discussion, debate and many designs he had a new bike made that replicates the angles of his "old" bike but will allow him to swing his leg over. The folks at Serotta did an outstanding job in working with some very tight specifications and produced a darn fine looking machine.

We all had a lot of concerns initally about what the bike would look like. Would it look like a girl's bike? Would it be a bad mixte? Big investment with some risk.

But at the end of the day the conversation simply became one of - at 78 ride whatever the heck you want - cause you can!

Heck, I hope I can ride that thing when I'm 78!

Joelyour dad looks like the last time i saw him (many many years ago)... which is to say "terrific"! i'll have to put ladue road back on my route and keep an eye out for him.

jtakeda
01-18-2011, 10:32 PM
thats inspirational. period