PDA

View Full Version : Mavic wheels -- recommendation needed

soul survivor
01-03-2011, 12:23 PM
OK, guys and gals, waiting on two new CDA frames, focused on wheels.

Bike 1: to be ridden by 16 year old athlete, not currently a racer and may never be

Bike 2: to be ridden by 54 year old in very good shape, been riding regularly for 10 years, typical ride 25 - 50 miles, not a racer

Choices:

1. Mavic SL
2. Mavic SR
3. Mavic SLR

Thoughts, please, only from those who have used the wheel sets extensively.
:)

false_Aest
01-03-2011, 12:47 PM
1) Ksyrium or Cosmic (I'm gonna assume no one on the forum will ride the r-sys)?

2) Why pre-built? Why Mavic?
---

A bunch of people will say that Ksyriums feel "harsh." I don't know what their butts do but I'm pretty sure that that can be *mostly* taken care of by adjusting tyre pressure.

My question is this: Why not invest in some hand built wheels? I built up a set of 28H 7700s laced to Kinlins for under $300. 1700g is nothin if yinz not racin'. The benefit is cost and ease of repair.

Pete Serotta
01-03-2011, 01:11 PM
I also like the SHIMANO wheel.

THe pair I use most locally is the K-either SL or not.

For traveling I either carry a soke or two or I use Open Pro with Hubs for peace for it is a custom built wheel.

In my view, I like the 3 wheels you mentioned but some folks have had some
Problems with the way the rear cassette housing works,

Bike 1: to be ridden by 16 year old athlete, not currently a racer and may never be

Bike 2: to be ridden by 54 year old in very good shape, been riding regularly for 10 years, typical ride 25 - 50 miles, not a racer

Choices:

1. Mavic SL
2. Mavic SR
3. Mavic SLR

alancw3
01-03-2011, 01:29 PM
save yourself some money and buy the elites based on the use.

natextr
01-03-2011, 01:30 PM
SLs or Shimano Ultegra TL wheels.

ahumblecycler
01-03-2011, 01:44 PM
save yourself some money and buy the elites based on the use.

Agreed!

If I had one set of wheels, I would keep my DA7850 SL. I just love them. The wheels even make clinchers more comfortable (although a pain to mount for the very first time), and one day I will try tubeless.

vpierce1
01-03-2011, 03:13 PM
I know most people post negative things about the Ksyriums but my Elites have served as training wheels and race wheels for both road and 'cross for two years now. I still haven't had to true them. Not bad for $500 and 1500g.

thegunner
01-03-2011, 03:25 PM
i hit 3 potholes 2" deep today... in a row (in an effort to avoid 1 :p, go me), and you know what? my elites are still true as the day i got 'em.

Fixed
01-03-2011, 04:19 PM
bro i applaud you
cheers
open pros with good hubs imho
cheers
he will be way faster than you soon especially in the sprints

brians647
01-03-2011, 08:09 PM
In my view, I like the 3 wheels you mentioned but some folks have had some Problems with the way the rear cassette housing works,

Maybe I'm searching with the wrong terms, but I can't seem to find the issue that you're referring to. Could you provide a link or explain?
Just trying to find what to keep a lookout for. Thanks!

thegunner
01-03-2011, 08:19 PM
Maybe I'm searching with the wrong terms, but I can't seem to find the issue that you're referring to. Could you provide a link or explain?

maybe what he's referring to is the weird spacing the M10 cassette splines have? they require either a 1.75 mm spacer or 2x 1.0 mm spacers to keep the cassette snug (learned from experience)

brians647
01-03-2011, 09:13 PM
maybe what he's referring to is the weird spacing the M10 cassette splines have? they require either a 1.75 mm spacer or 2x 1.0 mm spacers to keep the cassette snug (learned from experience)

Oh, got it. That's simple enough. I thought it was a more mechanical hub issue. Thanks!!

qjetha
01-03-2011, 09:16 PM
Gotta agree with Ahumblecycler and recommend the D/A 7850 sl wheels. Tubeless is the way to go!! :)

If you are set on the mavic mode just get the elites.

Enjoy the riding :)

thegunner
01-03-2011, 09:34 PM
Oh, got it. That's simple enough. I thought it was a more mechanical hub issue. Thanks!!

well the 2-pawl system is notoriously crappy, but that doesn't change the fact that they're rock solid for the most part.

dbh
01-03-2011, 09:51 PM
Gotta agree with Ahumblecycler and recommend the D/A 7850 sl wheels. Tubeless is the way to go!! :)

If you are set on the mavic mode just get the elites.

Enjoy the riding :)

The DA wheels were being blown out by bonktown last month. Shop around and you can still find some pretty good deals on them. If budget is a concern (though it doesn't sound like it is), Ribble has great deals on Ultegra wheelsets, both 6600 and 6700.

oldpotatoe
01-04-2011, 07:52 AM

Choices:

1. Mavic SL
2. Mavic SR
3. Mavic SLR

No good local wheelbuilders who design and build a couple of wheelsets specifically for you and your needs?

If not, look at Fulcrum, shimano or Campagnolo wheels..MUCH better hubs, particularly the rear. Mavic FTL-s hub is poor at best.

oldpotatoe
01-04-2011, 07:56 AM

Maybe he's referring to the antiquated 2 pawl system, plastic bushing in the base of the freehub body, sluggish/draggy action that needs frequent service and/or replacement to work well..of the Mavic rear hubs.

Kane
01-04-2011, 10:32 AM

Old Potatoe got it going on. The plastic bushing is a pos design. And they refuse to change it.
Compared to a Hadley rear hub the Mavic hub is a joke.
Kane

brians647
01-06-2011, 10:54 PM
Maybe he's referring to the antiquated 2 pawl system, plastic bushing in the base of the freehub body, sluggish/draggy action that needs frequent service and/or replacement to work well..of the Mavic rear hubs.

Sorry for the late response OldPotatoe (and Kane).
My apologies for continuing to drift, but to explain why I asked..
I've got a pair of used (but mint) carbones in the garage that I have yet to ride. I thought that they felt draggy (?) and weird compared to my D/A hubbed wheels. It probably amounts to zero detriment on the road, but I noticed it. Saw the post, and had to ask.
I don't know what/where the plastic bushing is, but I'll find it! :D

In short: thank you for clarifying. Much appreciated. :beer:

soul survivor
01-07-2011, 03:23 AM
OP -- Which Campy wheels would you consider?

oldpotatoe
01-07-2011, 07:50 AM

I'm 'equal opportubity offender' with 'wheelsouttaboxes', don't really like any of them but Fulcrum, Campagnolo and shimano at least have good hubs. I think aluminum spokes are an answer to a not asked question as well.

I look at these wheels and the hub design and know that I can build a wheelset with a similar hub and the wheels will be better made, and probably less $(unless the wheels are a deep discounted, bonktown type gig).

97CSI
01-07-2011, 08:49 AM
OP -- Which Campy wheels would you consider?Have been on Protons for the last few years and they are excellent, reasonably light and bullet-proof. When need new bearings, oldpotatoe will sell them to you for $10/each. But, I got tired of the difficultly of getting the tire on and off to fix a flat. So, I sold both sets and bought new sets of Vento for training/flat-land riding and a set of Zonda for lighter-weight/climbing wheels. Was able to pop the tires on with my thumbs, which is a real positive. Fixing a flat will be much easier. Everthing I've read on this and other forums, as well as my experience with the Protons, leads me to believe that they will be as bullet-proof as any wheels out there.

This said, I rode a pair of '03 Ksyrium Elites for 10K+ miles back then with zero problems.

AngryScientist
01-07-2011, 08:58 AM

i've used a whole bunch of campy wheels, from the low cost ones and up the line, i have yet to have a bad set. i believe if you are going to buy a prebuilt wheel, campagnolo is the best there is.

Iceman
01-07-2011, 02:38 PM
Actually I am surprised at how many of you on this website opt for a lower end set of wheels. It is also obvious that one can have good experiences with a brand and bad with another, while the opposite happens to someone else.
Price being set aside, we all are looking for the most bomb proof, light and fast set of wheels we can get. All wheels are a juggle of these factors.

I have had a set of Ksyirum sl for 6 years as everyday trainers. These are the best set of wheels I have owned. Never had to true them and they still roll smooth. As for the plastic bushing wearing out, that has not been a problem, If I get caught in the rain I clean it before the next ride, otherwise about twice a season.

Picked up a set of SLR's this spring and have about a 1,000 miles on them.
They are faster than the sl's but I am not sure they will be as bombproof.
Lighter weight construction. But until they prove otherwise I can't complain.
They are very tight on the tires.

On the other hand I will never buy shimano wheels again, the hubs were crap. Toasted after one season, the ultegras lasted longer than the xtrs and dura ace. The two sets of Rolfs were better than shimano.

Lews were good, phil wood hubs, but stick with clinchers, sew ups get expensive throwing away flat tires.
Yes the SLR's and Lews are faster due to the aero rims.
Just picked up a new set of Sl's and will be handing down the old ones to my better half. Ride more and you can argue about getting the new wheels, until then "their mine".

Just thought I would cloud the issue more for you, good luck whatever you pick.

Black Dog
01-07-2011, 07:05 PM
What about Hed? I have a set of the Kermesse wheels and love them. Light, very well built (by hand) and the wider 23mm rim is amazing in terms of cornering and ride comfort. They ride like tubulars. On top of that they have taken a lot of abuse and run as true as the day I put them on the bike. Just a thought. I also have a set of Campy Zonda's and they are very solid.

soul survivor
01-07-2011, 08:24 PM
Iceman -- are those Kysrium SLR's you are referring to? My expert who suggested the SL's also likes the Kysrium SLR's. I intend to ride both before we choose how to build up the CDAs.

Thanks all for valuable insights.

Pete Serotta
01-08-2011, 08:19 AM
Very informative and professional THanks for taking the time to share your experiences as the #10 posts even. PETE

Actually I am surprised at how many of you on this website opt for a lower end set of wheels. It is also obvious that one can have good experiences with a brand and bad with another, while the opposite happens to someone else.
Price being set aside, we all are looking for the most bomb proof, light and fast set of wheels we can get. All wheels are a juggle of these factors.

I have had a set of Ksyirum sl for 6 years as everyday trainers. These are the best set of wheels I have owned. Never had to true them and they still roll smooth. As for the plastic bushing wearing out, that has not been a problem, If I get caught in the rain I clean it before the next ride, otherwise about twice a season.

Picked up a set of SLR's this spring and have about a 1,000 miles on them.
They are faster than the sl's but I am not sure they will be as bombproof.
Lighter weight construction. But until they prove otherwise I can't complain.
They are very tight on the tires.

On the other hand I will never buy shimano wheels again, the hubs were crap. Toasted after one season, the ultegras lasted longer than the xtrs and dura ace. The two sets of Rolfs were better than shimano.

Lews were good, phil wood hubs, but stick with clinchers, sew ups get expensive throwing away flat tires.
Yes the SLR's and Lews are faster due to the aero rims.
Just picked up a new set of Sl's and will be handing down the old ones to my better half. Ride more and you can argue about getting the new wheels, until then "their mine".

Just thought I would cloud the issue more for you, good luck whatever you pick.

Iceman
01-08-2011, 02:50 PM
Cosmic Carbon SLR's. I have not ridden the new Ksyrium SL's yet so I can't say about them, I hope they will perform like my old SL's have. As for Hed and other brands, I don't have the pockets to try them all (if I won the lottery I would) but, you have to figure that companies are able to charge the prices they get for a reason. Do your homework, google the different wheels you are looking at to get feedback.
I saw a guy running lightweights in a cyclocross event today (pro level) so they must be tough. I have always had good luck with Mavics that is why I lean toward them.
Just a FYI, I went to Florida a month ago and rode for a couple of weeks with an old friend and his daughter. They had both just picked up a couple of sets of ultegra hub standard lace wheels, I brought my old Ksyirum's and Cosmic Carbons with me so while I used my Cosmics I had my buddy put on the SLs. They both poo pooed the need for "better" wheels and it took a few days to get him to try the SLs (actually I comando raided his bike and put them on for him). After much "I can't believe you did that too my bike!" from my friend, we went riding.....before we got to the end of his street he was making coments like "I need to get me a set of these"....
That night we comando raided his daughters bike, on the next days ride she did not say anything for an hour or so until I asked. You like them? Yep. You may not be getting these back. They both picked up used SLs on Ebay before I left. But looking at the wonderful trails they ride I would be hard pressed not to get a set of sew up lightweights.