PDA

View Full Version : My Feet Hurt

CordWoodyard
01-03-2011, 11:41 AM
Hi All,
Over the years I have yet to find a pair of cycling shoes that fit really well. Everything hurts or makes my feet go numb. I've used eggbeater and Shimano road pedals, figuring that maybe the pedals had something to do with my discomfort. But I've now concluded it's the shoes, I currently use 3 different styles of Pearl Izumis and one Sidi (not mega) tri-shoe. I have narrow ankles and a wide toe box (EEE). A good friend has recommended Sidi mega shoes, but according to their website the ankle is also mega--that just doesn't sound comfortable.

Any suggestions on shoes? And if you know of any deals on Sidis or other brands. Right now, I'm open to just about anything.

Ken Robb
01-03-2011, 11:43 AM
How did you arrive at your shoe size?

clweed
01-03-2011, 11:58 AM
Not a cheap alternative but D2 Custom Shoes (http://d2shoe.com/home/breakaway.html) did the trick for me. You will be amazed at what a Huge difference a properly fitting shoe will make. No more hot foot for me, My feet are two different sizes and widths.

Lee

Hi All,
Over the years I have yet to find a pair of cycling shoes that fit really well. Everything hurts or makes my feet go numb. I've used eggbeater and Shimano road pedals, figuring that maybe the pedals had something to do with my discomfort. But I've now concluded it's the shoes, I currently use 3 different styles of Pearl Izumis and one Sidi (not mega) tri-shoe. I have narrow ankles and a wide toe box (EEE). A good friend has recommended Sidi mega shoes, but according to their website the ankle is also mega--that just doesn't sound comfortable.

Any suggestions on shoes? And if you know of any deals on Sidis or other brands. Right now, I'm open to just about anything.

ahumblecycler
01-03-2011, 12:19 PM
I have a wide toe box, but not so wide as to warrant "E" sizing. I have been wearing the same pair of Specialized S-Works for 2.5 years and still going. Hands down, these shoes have been amazing for me. I used the standard sole.

FWIW, I use neutral shoes with little additional cushioning. I use KEO pedals.

CordWoodyard
01-03-2011, 12:29 PM
Good question, a friend who owns a shoe store fitted me according to their measuring device. According to the measurements, I wear an 11 EEE with a narrow heel cup (yes, flippers). I followed this up with a trip to REI to try out several different brands of cycling shoe.

How did you arrive at your shoe size?

Ken Robb
01-03-2011, 01:44 PM
Good question, a friend who owns a shoe store fitted me according to their measuring device. According to the measurements, I wear an 11 EEE with a narrow heel cup (yes, flippers). I followed this up with a trip to REI to try out several different brands of cycling shoe.

Well then assuming he used a Brannock Device (cast aluminum w/heel cups and sliding pointer) that's an accurate measurement. I used to sell shoes when I was a student and SO many men would think they were a 9EEE when a 10.5 C would have been their real size. It sounds like custom may be the only way for you to fit in a "Road" shoe. OTOH, I gave up on those because I like to ride my bikes places and do other things involving walking. I now have bikes with Crank Bros. and SPD mtn. pedals and wear Shimano M020 lace-up shoes when I ride them. The soles have a little flex and the cleats are recessed between lugs so walking is OK.
OTOH, several of my bikes have flat MKS Touring pedals or MKS Lambda/Rivendell Grip Kings. I wear any shoe with them except those with heavy lugs. Topsiders and athletic shoes with nearly smooth soles work great and, of course, are wonderful for walking around.

ahumblecycler
01-03-2011, 01:45 PM
Could you buy a mega (or Shimano E-size) and wear a padded heal sock to ensure proper snug fit?

dekindy
01-03-2011, 01:59 PM
Try a shoe with a less stiff sole?

Realistically it could be anything. Go to a foot doctor if the pain is bad enough or a store like "If the shoe fits" and have an expert look at your feet. Maybe a custom orthotic will help. The folks at my local store said that I really did not need a custom orthotic but I got one anyway because I ride thousands of miles per year and want to ride for as long as I can.

Walmart and my shoe repair guy have machines that will analyze your feet and recommend one of their standard orthotics. Try this first?

Jim Braley
01-03-2011, 04:58 PM
Try some Superfeet inserts--you can get them especially for things like cycling shoes--they are the yellow colored ones. I use them all the time and they have solved my numb feet issues as well as pain I usedto get under the metatarsals. They are supportive and protective and are firm (not hard)--you do not need a soft insert like a Dr. Scholls

eddief
01-03-2011, 05:15 PM
I know cycling puts more stress on tootsies, but one might think if you have comfy street shoes, you should be able to come close in some brand and model of cycling shoe. I say that after having worn one set of custom orthotics in my streets shoes for over 20 years and another set, separately made, of custom orthotics in my cycling shoes.

My feet used to hurt way more on the bottoms until I switched from SPD to Speedplay Frogs.

You might want to call the Dr. and get some foot advice. He did me:

http://www.wellfeet.com/

joelh
01-03-2011, 05:17 PM
+1 on the Superfeet. I have a pair that I move from running shoes, to riding shoes to hiking boots. They are awesome. Sidi's did not work for me. For what ever reason, my feet cramp horrible when wearing Sidi's.

One thing that did work for me was switching to speedplay pedals. That move helped my foot pain a great deal

rnhood
01-03-2011, 05:22 PM
I've had the Side Megas and Shimano RS 215 EE shoes (now superseded by the 220 or 230 model). The Shimanos have a slightly wider toe box than the Megas, and really just fit better in my opinion. Of course feet are somewhat like our butts, what works for one might not work for someone else.

A good form fitting insole like those made by Sidas (Comformables), Soles or Superfeet will often make a difference too. And also move your cleat back a little and see if this helps.

R2D2
01-03-2011, 06:07 PM
Not a cheap alternative but D2 Custom Shoes (http://d2shoe.com/home/breakaway.html) did the trick for me. You will be amazed at what a Huge difference a properly fitting shoe will make. No more hot foot for me, My feet are two different sizes and widths.

Lee
+1
I went thru a lot of shoes and ended up in D2's.
Have happy feet now.

John H.
01-03-2011, 07:34 PM
Do you use insoles or othotics? Gotta support the foot 1st.
Cleat position? Are you cleats back?
_1 for Shimano wide shoes- Sidi Mega are junk- not enough support.

tribuddha
01-03-2011, 08:48 PM
I used to get hot spots.. couldn't get rid of them....got my bike fitter to help me get a good fit on my shoes( his method was to get me in a larger shoe.. just enough so my heel wouldn't lift out..)
and a great set of custom orthotics ( I have had many) I got esoles for cycling ( 240 ish)
now no issues at all :banana:

RkyMtn
01-03-2011, 09:14 PM
+1
I went thru a lot of shoes and ended up in D2's.
Have happy feet now.

+2 for D2

From what you stated on having a large toe-box requirement and narrow ankles, you need custom shoes. No manufacturer is going to have that spec in their lineup. And you will likely spend as much trying to make a pair of shoes MAYBE work for the same as just getting the custom shoes.

I could not make any cycling shoe work. After spending more than the cost of the D2 shoes, I took the plunge and all is perfect now. I got the Crit shoe, as the fitter in Boulder said, "Get the Crit shoe." I had an initial toe box problem (too tight) and sent them back. When they came back, they were a perfect fit. Be sure to let D2 know if you want the standard toe-box fit (real snug) or a little or open toe-box than normal, what I wound up with.

ultraman6970
01-03-2011, 09:34 PM
Just wonder if your feet swell after a few minutes, if thats the case you have to go a bigger shoe, no other way to go around this problem.

The other thing is that you only says that your DOGS hurts, where do they hurt? ball of the foot?, toes? outside or inside of the foot? WHERE?

Depending on this is what u have to do but i'll assume you dont have problems with varus and valgus or any other problems and the issue is that the feet start hurting around the toes and ball of the foot area and then they go numb. If thats the case you might need bigger shoes because probably your feet swell enough and you have not figure it out how much yet.

With the years I started having issues and the last one was that eventhought my shoes were the right size after a few hours the pain was unbearable. I eliminated the varus/valgus problem (needed like 1 mm shim) and i got rid off of some pain but in general it was still there, so went from a 43 carnac to a 45 specialized and problem gone. Noticed that my feet started swelling too much lately, this solved my problem.

Why specialized? well, are wide but the heel retention is fantastic compared with othe shoes at the same range of price (200 bucks).

WHat i would do if i was you is to ride a few miles w/o the insoles, the feet will be more lose but it might not hurt. If the pain goes away... then guess whats the problem.

UM.

CordWoodyard
01-03-2011, 11:01 PM
Thanks to all of you that took the time to give me such wonderful suggestions. I will be pain free in 2011, that is my goal. Cheers