oliver1850
01-03-2011, 10:45 AM

CNY rider
01-03-2011, 11:01 AM
Completely unglamorous but work perfectly well at the right price:
Shimano 550.

veloduffer
01-03-2011, 11:24 AM
Have a new CAAD8 CX frameset coming. I'm going to put Veloce 10 on it, have everything except the brakes. Really have no clue what people are using. What's out there that works and is reasonably priced? What do I need for a cable hanger or other hardware I haven't thought of?

If anyone has something for sale let me know. Thanks

If you want cantis, go with the Cane Creek SX-5. They use a link straddle wire, like Shimano, and also have a micro adjustment screw to help center the brakes. Inexpensive too. For any cantis, you'll need a cable hanger.

If you want better stopping power, get discs or v-brakes. The new Tektro mini-v-brakes CX-9 for cross are great and easy to setup, PLUS you don't need a cable hanger nor special brake levers (with other v-brakes you need levers with more cable pull capability). A bit expensive, however.

c-record
01-03-2011, 11:37 AM
+1.

The Cane Creeks are the best canti I've found at the price. Beat the Avids and others for the $. A bit more gets you into TRP low-profiles and they rock. Great power, clearance and modulation. A pain to set up initially but worth it. I have one set of those and two sets of Euro X Mags on my main bikes and they are the candy most every CX bike needs.

If you want cantis, go with the Cane Creek SX-5. They use a link straddle wire, like Shimano, and also have a micro adjustment screw to help center the brakes. Inexpensive too. For any cantis, you'll need a cable hanger.

If you want better stopping power, get discs or v-brakes. The new Tektro mini-v-brakes CX-9 for cross are great and easy to setup, PLUS you don't need a cable hanger nor special brake levers (with other v-brakes you need levers with more cable pull capability). A bit expensive, however.

DogpawSlim
01-03-2011, 12:11 PM
Completely unglamorous but work perfectly well at the right price:
Shimano 550.

I disagree. I think 550's are completely glamorous, the best looking and best finished canti brake on the market. Would look awesome on that frame too.

IRD Cafams are great too, and also would look good on that frame.

Both brakes are really easy to set up with adjustable spring tension, threaded pad posts, and set straddle cables.

Dave B
01-03-2011, 12:32 PM
I have used the TRP euro-X and the carbon ones I think they are like the 950 somthign or other. Both sucked...and yes I know how to set them up.

Paul's (as far as cantis) were the best thing ever with nice Kool Stop salmon pads. Not cheap, easy to set up and work pretty well.

I switched to the TRP mini-v's this past year and they work...kind of like the sun is sort of hot.

I could care less about traditional, the mini-v's work fine. So many people bitch and moan about mud, un true wheels, etc. Folks mtbers have used V-brakes for years just fine. Yeah they went to discs, but min-v brakes are nice and slow the bike down quickly and no fork shudder. I won't go back to cantis...there is just no reason unless I was sponsored...and even then if they are good enough for Molly Cameron then they are good enough for me...and she can ride big time!

oliver1850
01-03-2011, 12:33 PM

rwsaunders
01-03-2011, 03:05 PM
I use the Tektro cantis and have found them to have more stopping power than the Shimano 550's which they replaced...my opinion of course. They are relatively inexpensive as are the 550's, but they do protrude a bit. I use KoolStop salmon pads too.

CNY rider
01-03-2011, 03:48 PM
I disagree. I think 550's are completely glamorous, the best looking and best finished canti brake on the market..

Well if you insist, I'll admit that I find them pretty snazzy myself and have had better reliability that with the Cane Creeks they have replaced.

oliver1850
01-03-2011, 06:00 PM

bike22
01-03-2011, 06:01 PM
tektro cr720.

oliver1850
01-03-2011, 06:02 PM

bike22
01-03-2011, 06:13 PM
i use them also and they work well, no comment on any of the other brakes mentioned in this thread.
it's fairly easy to find a set for $20-25, used.

salem
01-04-2011, 08:42 PM
Regardless of what brake you use, the most important thing to know is cantilever brakes can be tuned to your liking by changing the straddle cable length (assuming you use a separate hanger and straddle cable instead of the newer single cable "splitter" design). Generally speaking, a shorter straddle will give you more power, a slightly spongier feel, and require more cable pull for a given amount of pad movement.

For example, I use a cable disk brake on the front of my mountain bike where I need the most braking power, and run a canti brake on the back. Most cable disks require a V-style lever, so to make up for the longer cable pull (and decreased leverage), I run a super short straddle cable and the combo works very well.

oliver1850
01-04-2011, 10:32 PM

rwsaunders
01-04-2011, 10:38 PM
RW: what model are your Tektros? They have a gob of different models, would like to know which ones to search for. Did you try the same pads on the Shimanos or were you running the stock ones?

CR720's on both wheels...yes I used KoolStop salmon pads on both. The stock Tektro pads were horrible and the Shimano pads were a bit better. Squealing and shuddering went away when I switched pads, but cantis will never replace dual pivots for the larger downhills...no secret there.

scrub
01-04-2011, 11:49 PM
I run the Tektro cr720 in the front and a an avid shorty 4 in the rear both with koolstop salmon pads and its working pretty well. I also use a fork mounted cable hanger rather than the usual one up by the stem.

veloduffer
01-05-2011, 07:07 AM
Thanks for the replies.

I'm assuming the Cane Creek model is SCX-5, that's what I'm finding.

Some sellers are listing them as front and rears, others as 1 wheel only, and one says front only. Is there any difference in fronts and rears?

I'm open to mini Vs or regular Vs for that matter.
Anyone know anything about Tektro RX5s? The trp mini Vs are more than I want to spend.

There's no difference. You just have to switch the pads around, as they are uni-directional.

rockdude
01-05-2011, 07:21 AM
I have made a progression over the last several years of racing in brakes.

Avid 4 :no:
Tektro 720 :)
Pauls :banana:

The pad are as or more important as the brakes themselves. Kool stop are nice, Swiss Stops are great but cost more than the Avid or tektro brakes. :confused: