PDA

View Full Version : PSA Heads UP : Merino Wool

AngryScientist
01-03-2011, 06:41 AM
wow, what a great find. Banana Republic is currently running it's end of season sale, and they have 100% merino wool sweaters for 60% off (regular $42). they're very lightweight sweaters, and fit snug in the first place.

i bought a size smaller than i usually wear, and these make excellent mid weight winter baselayers - 100% merino @ $20 !! wore one on a pretty nice fixed gear ride yesterday under a long sleeved jersey and was super comfy.

mind you, this only occurred to me to try while my wife was dragging me through the mall, and pointed out that merino wool was now in fashion (since i talk about it so often as a great material), so i figured for $20, give it a shot.

stephenmarklay
01-03-2011, 07:01 AM
Nice Find. I may go check them out.

nahtnoj
01-03-2011, 07:11 AM
I do this with closeout crew neck merino as well. I prefer Brooks Brothers w/ about 5% elastic - hold shape very well.

By the way, if you have style, merino is never out of style.

AngryScientist
01-03-2011, 07:13 AM
I do this with closeout crew neck merino as well.

By the way, if you have style, merino is never out of style.

yea, i guess by style i really meant available, merino never used to be so widely available everywhere. i'm actually at work in a merino sweater right now!

skreaminquadz
01-03-2011, 07:14 AM
Wow - that's a great deal. Merino base for $20!! It's hard to find synthetics for that price. Nice find - thanks for sharing!

R2D2
01-03-2011, 07:26 AM
I haven't been able to find that price online.
Is it only in Brick and Mortar?

AngryScientist
01-03-2011, 07:29 AM

probably, i think these big sales they run at the end of the season are just an effort to clear out the stores stock.

rockdude
01-03-2011, 07:31 AM
Link Please.....

I wear Ice Breakers as under shirts all winter long. love the wool.

drewski
01-03-2011, 07:34 AM
If the sweaters get too small they make good arm warmers. The sweater
without the sleeves makes a good spring base layer.

I keep them in my saddle bag for this purpose. A couple of weeks
ago during a ride the wind suddenly picked up and the arm from the sweater made a great emergency hat under the helmet. Merino is much better
than acrylic as a hat as well. I am on lockdown on bike clothing purchases so
necessity is the mother of invention.

RABikes2
01-03-2011, 08:17 AM
Merino Wool rocks! No other wool/material compares. Great find AS!

skreaminquadz
01-03-2011, 08:30 AM
I'm guessing B&M only. I checked their online store and while they are having a sale on sweaters and all Merino appears to be on sale, I can't find any $20 deals. I may go to a store around me to see what I can find.

tuxbailey
01-03-2011, 02:50 PM
I have 2 of these that my wife bought me touting how nice they. I pointed out to her that I am "in" on these since I have a Swobo jersey.

I dunno if she will be thrilled if I wear the sweaters she bought me in sweat drenching activities.

Bob Ross
01-03-2011, 03:14 PM
I stopped by the local Banana Republic this morning to check these out. The only 100% Merino Wool sweaters that were on sale that I could find had a V-neck, which struck me as being non-ideal for a cycling base layer. Not a dealbreaker...but the sizing was: The sleeves on every size I tried -- Large, Medium, & even Small -- were all too long! So I passed.

Ken Robb
01-03-2011, 03:24 PM
I bought some merino sweater/shirts at Costco a couple of years ago. They polo-style long sleeve with button up collar so they are pretty good for cycling and skiing and look quite posh in a nice restaurant as well.
FWIW Leslie and I have some merino jerseys we'll be selling as soon as I get around to listing them w/pix. 4 Rivendell Wooly Warm Short sleeve and one long sleeve plus an Ibex LS and a couple of others. If anyone asks for real info I might have to get off my butt and list the sizes, colors, etc. :)

skreaminquadz
01-04-2011, 07:12 AM
FWIW Leslie and I have some merino jerseys we'll be selling as soon as I get around to listing them w/pix. 4 Rivendell Wooly Warm Short sleeve and one long sleeve plus an Ibex LS and a couple of others. If anyone asks for real info I might have to get off my butt and list the sizes, colors, etc. :)

Okay - i'll bite :) What's the size color of the Ibex?

AngryScientist
01-04-2011, 07:29 AM
I bought some merino sweater/shirts at Costco a couple of years ago. They polo-style long sleeve with button up collar so they are pretty good for cycling and skiing and look quite posh in a nice restaurant as well.

reason for selling off the merino? i would not part with mine...

RABikes2
01-04-2011, 07:51 AM
reason for selling off the merino? i would not part with mine...
+1

christian
01-04-2011, 08:30 AM
reason for selling off the merino? i would not part with mine...Dude lives in Sandy Ego. He could cycle naked most of the year if he preferred to! :)

dave thompson
01-04-2011, 09:08 AM
Dude lives in Sandy Ego. He could cycle naked most of the year if he preferred to! :)
Actually he does!

Ken Robb
01-04-2011, 09:32 AM
I like merino so well I bought more jerseys than I can wear. Unlike the synthetics I have tried the woolies don't get stinky after one or two rides so I don't need more than 3 or 4 to always have one to wear.
Leslie has decided she gets too hot in them. I think she may get past that feeling in a year or so :) and regret letting them go but it's not for me to say.

allenwhy
01-04-2011, 09:37 AM
i have a few merino sweaters from banana republic and not a single one of this is a nice fine merino. all work as sweaters, but i wouldn't dream of cycling (save for city commuting) in one. i wonder what merino sweaters you are referring to.

buldogge
01-04-2011, 09:51 AM
+1

How about some pics or product numbers (from the tags)???

TIA
-Mark in St. Louis

i have a few merino sweaters from banana republic and not a single one of this is a nice fine merino. all work as sweaters, but i wouldn't dream of cycling (save for city commuting) in one. i wonder what merino sweaters you are referring to.

drewski
01-04-2011, 09:59 AM
Merino Wool rocks! No other wool/material compares. Great find AS!

If I could interject. I have a Cashmere wool sweater from Italy I purchased
at Goodwill for $8.00, Old Woolistic jersey spendy , New
Woolistic, swobo on sale, brooks brothers merino wool, various other merino wool sweaters from australia.

The new Woolistics are a little softer. The Cashmere sweater is amazing. Much softer than Merino wool. I have an Aussie wool sweater that is also like butter but nothing like the Cashmere. Under a cycling jacket who cares what you are
wearing. What I like about the Cashmere is that is lighter and just as warmer.

You don't have to break the bank to get these sweaters bide your time, be patient. "The wool Frodo, the wool..."

Ken Robb
01-04-2011, 10:24 AM
I like cashmere too. I was surprised to find in several instances that supposedly identical sweaters feel quite different and it seems to be related to color. My all-time softest was a natural beige with no dye. My itchiest (still not bad) were maroon and red. A pal in the sweater business told me that made sense because only the finest wool is used in the un-dyed or minimally dyed lighter colors. For darker colors coarser wool with more varied colored hairs can be used and covered up with the dyes. I never got to ask him why my black sweater was better than red but not quite as nice as the beige. :)

RABikes2
01-04-2011, 10:45 AM
If I could interject. I have a Cashmere wool sweater from Italy I purchased
at Goodwill for $8.00, Old Woolistic jersey spendy , New
Woolistic, swobo on sale, brooks brothers merino wool, various other merino wool sweaters from australia.

The new Woolistics are a little softer. The Cashmere sweater is amazing. Much softer than Merino wool. I have an Aussie wool sweater that is also like butter but nothing like the Cashmere. Under a cycling jacket who cares what you are
wearing. What I like about the Cashmere is that is lighter and just as warmer.

You don't have to break the bank to get these sweaters bide your time, be patient. "The wool Frodo, the wool..."
I'm sure you are right! My cycling wool jersey experience has been sheltered and limited to only Merino Wool jerseys, but I would be more than happy to try any of the others you mention. ;)

RA

drewski
01-04-2011, 10:50 AM
I'm sure you are right! My cycling wool jersey experience has been sheltered and limited to only Merino Wool jerseys, but I would be more than happy to try any of the others you mention. ;)

RA

No problem young hobit or should I say "oye chico...

I have hyper sensitive skin so I soft wool is my holy grail.
I lived in Argentina and as a kid I wore alpaca ponchos.
Talk about soft.

It appears the shire in Havana, Florida
would not have much of a need for Cashmere. I sold
a whole bunch of wool stuff about 1 month ago including a
Woolistic Visconti jersey to SLO. Those are really bad ass looking
with the city of Milan Logo on the chest.

:)

I realize the locals go into a panic when it falls below 65 degrees (ay que frio!!!). I have a Swobo for sale if you are interested. It used to be a
Large now its a medium due to an unfortunate high temperature
washing mistake.
I would be willing to trade for a couple of Bags of Cuban coffee.

RABikes2
01-04-2011, 10:34 PM
No problem young hobit or should I say "oye chico...

I have hyper sensitive skin so I soft wool is my holy grail.
I lived in Argentina and as a kid I wore alpaca ponchos.
Talk about soft.

It appears the shire in Havana, Florida
would not have much of a need for Cashmere. I sold
a whole bunch of wool stuff about 1 month ago including a
Woolistic Visconti jersey to SLO. Those are really bad ass looking
with the city of Milan Logo on the chest.

:)

I realize the locals go into a panic when it falls below 65 degrees (ay que frio!!!). I have a Swobo for sale if you are interested. It used to be a
Large now its a medium due to an unfortunate high temperature
washing mistake.
I would be willing to trade for a couple of Bags of Cuban coffee.
Ohhh drewski ... Havana, Florida is in North Florida (in the panhandle). It's a small town approximately 20 miles north of downtown Tallahassee (capital of FL), by vehicle it is 11 miles from the border of Georgia, and by bicycle on country roads, it's about 14 miles to the Georgia border. We have the four seasons here, however, rarely will it snow. Already this winter there have been temperatures in the high teens (I've seen 14* in past years) and waking to ice on my decks and the dog's outside water bowl frozen solid isn't unusual in the winter. Christmas Day this year was cold, but the day after Christmas, we had snow flurries for a while. :)

So, for cycling, I really love my Merino Wool jerseys. And for going out in the evening, I have a few Cashmere sweaters that are beautiful and I enjoy wearing. Hmmmm, Swobo in a large/medium (men's?) ... not sure. I usually wear small or medium (depending on whose brand it is) in women's, but thank you anyway.

To add a little note, we also have lots of climbs and rollers here as this area is in the lower fingers of the Appalachian Mountains. They are mostly short climbs compared to mountain climbs, but can be quite steep considering this is "Florida". I descend the hill beside my place for the start of every ride and have gotten up to 36mph without trying. Climb the same hill at the end of every ride, too. ;)

Mmmm, Cuban coffee would be nice though, eh.

Ritaann