PDA

View Full Version : Firsts, Lasts and Resolutions

CaptStash
01-02-2011, 04:16 PM
Yesterday the local group headed out for the first ride of the year. The day was sparkling clear and sunny with blue skies and a balmy 30 degrees when we headed out. We met at the local village Starbucks and spun our way over to yet another SBux on Alki Beach in West Seattle. It was a great way to start the new year and amounted to several firsts, a last, and a strong start to my New Year's resolution.

Firsts:
First ride ever in sub freezing temps.
First use of my new Descente jacket (thanks Adam!) and fancy winter Descente gloves (Hanukkah present from my wife).
First flat of the year.

Last: Last ride on my Felt. Now the parts come off for migration to the ti McMahon I'm re-building.

New Year's Resolution: Train through the winter and beyond to be in great shape for my 50th birthday in September. This includes dropping down below 170 lbs.

So let's hear it forumites: Any firsts, lasts or goals for the new year?

Saul aka CaptStash....

jlwdm
01-02-2011, 04:45 PM
Yesterday was also my first ride in sub-freezing temperatures (31 degrees) and my first ride in my Assos lobster shell gloves.

Low 20s this morning and I passed. 48 degrees now but I am not going out.

Jeff

Fixed
01-02-2011, 05:09 PM
ride a little most days
cheers imho happy newyear

Steve in SLO
01-02-2011, 06:01 PM
Today is the first day this year I am not working.
It is also the first day this year I will probably wimp out and not ride due to the rain

Probably not really what you were after, but it's what I got.

jmeloy
01-02-2011, 09:30 PM
First ride in a merino jersey (34 degrees) and found it an improvement over what I had been wearing. FIRST ride at 26 degrees F.... damn!

Uncle Jam's Army
01-02-2011, 11:18 PM
Yesterday was the first training ride I have done before 8 a.m. since . . . I can't remember when. Probably since 1990. Going to try to get rides in early in the morning consistently, which means going to sleep earlier. Hope it sticks.

duke
01-03-2011, 06:38 AM
Hey Stash, Happy New Year.
Welcome to sub freezing temps, be careful you might start enjoying them...
You better get below 170, because I am getting back to 165!
Goal: To work less this year (if that's possible) and ride more.
duke

Ti Designs
01-03-2011, 12:30 PM
First ride of 2011 was also the last ride of 2010 as Liz and I rode the mountain tandem into Boston to see the fireworks over the harbor.

Last: That's the last time I'm taking the ice covered bike path back home without my studded tires...

Ozz
01-04-2011, 11:41 AM
The last time I rode was June 16, 2010....my goal is to go for my first ride on June 16, 2011....my resolution is to be fully fit by 2012.

Joel
01-05-2011, 06:35 AM
My last ride was my first ride of the year and on the first set of Campy equipment I purchased (pat '73).

Had to think about that for a minute ;)

Iceman
01-07-2011, 01:15 AM
I come before you one of the original Icemen. I AM ICEMAN. Do you have any idea what you sound like? Try riding in the true northland for a change and come to love your southern climes.

In the true northland we deal with true frigid temperatures, true bad pave and TRUELY bad hostile conservative drivers. You know not what cold is!

Cold is a water bottle that starts out hot and freezes solid before you get home!.....If you get home....

True cold is buggercicles.
True cold is Cold cahones.
True cold is not being able to wipe the buggercicles because they are frozen too hard!!!
True cold is sweat frozen on you and your eyelashes stuck together.

You think I jest....NNNooo I jest NOT!!!
AAAARRRGGGGHHH your sniveling whineing hurts my ears!!
Maybe they are frostbit, I don't know, but they hurt!

My first goal is too learn all you southern lowland sniveling pilgrims.
My last goal is.......I haven't thought of one yet!!!! Shut UP and feel my scorn!!!!!
People in my village ask "where you go today?" I say " to the mountain, for I touch the clouds".

You try come down from mountain in winter, freeze cahones and derailers in one shot. You look for the climb too warm you up. Flatlanders...MY brain hurts trying to learn you!
DDEEEEEP BREATH

I leave you with this......
The battle is with your body
The war is with your mind
Win the war

Never judge a ride by the first 10 minutes
it gets better from there

Every ride is a race looking for a place to start

If it was easy, everyone would be doing it

I hope my berating you will do some good, maybe not...but you cannot complain if you do not try.

I may come back here, so hear me ROAR!!!!
The Iceman speaketh

Ti Designs
01-07-2011, 11:52 AM
Cold is a water bottle that starts out hot and freezes solid before you get home!.....If you get home....

I thought that was normal for this time of year...

Fixed
01-07-2011, 07:59 PM
bro he is the real deal iceman imho
cheers

Iceman
01-08-2011, 03:27 PM
What imho mean? Iceman in Alaska, lucky to have dial up connection..
Not see ground til April or May, not see ground since early October...
Why Iceman here I ask? No answer for question....
Must love bike to ride this long here, you try, not easy....
Man, Woman in auto yell at Iceman "Get off road, get on trail!"
Man, Woman on trail yell at Iceman "Got off trail, you wreck trail!"
No one like Iceman or his kind here, feel like red hair stepchild.

CaptStash
01-08-2011, 04:07 PM
Iceman is crazy person.
Iceman should stop ride on snow.
Iceman have no common sense. Get cross-country skis Iceman like rest of us crazy people do in snow.
Go Iceman! Go!

What imho mean? Iceman in Alaska, lucky to have dial up connection..
Not see ground til April or May, not see ground since early October...
Why Iceman here I ask? No answer for question....
Must love bike to ride this long here, you try, not easy....
Man, Woman in auto yell at Iceman "Get off road, get on trail!"
Man, Woman on trail yell at Iceman "Got off trail, you wreck trail!"
No one like Iceman or his kind here, feel like red hair stepchild.

Iceman
01-09-2011, 02:36 AM
That why Iceman stay on bike and not put sticks on his feet. Bike faster. Snow and ice good for balance! Stick people just mad that Iceman faster than they are....much faster..
Crazy? hhheeehheehee....
WAIT! Iceman realize Captstash still young and not understand foolishness of putting sticks on his feet! Iceman not drawn in to fads.
My brain is starting to hurt again! Too much time pecking this out, cuts into rideing time.
Live long and Ride longer

Ti Designs
01-11-2011, 10:20 AM
Here's both a first and probably a last. I was told I have a nice a$$ by a supermodel. There were other things said in the conversation, but for some reason that's the part I remember...