PDA

View Full Version : Convert Ti frame to single speed?

thenewguy11
01-02-2011, 03:53 PM
Not knowing much about metallurgy, is it possible to change the dropouts on a ti frame to convert it to a track bike? I know there are hubs out there but I'd really prefer to change the drop outs if it's feasible.

Bob Loblaw
01-02-2011, 08:18 PM
Anything is possible. But you're looking at a sizeable outlay and a potentially difficult search for someone qualified and willing to do the job. Welding Ti is tricky business.

For a lot less money, you could round up a sweet vintage steel frame with horizontal dropouts, or a purpose built track frame.

BL

pitcrew
01-02-2011, 08:38 PM
Or, why not use your Ti frame as it is now and use a White Industries ENO rear hub/wheel?

Single speed with your verticle drop outs.

Edit: Additional question....Are you wanting a single speed (freewheeling rear hub) or a fixed gear (track bike)?

avalonracing
01-02-2011, 09:13 PM
And because it is a fixed gear that doesn't make it a track bike either. Track bikes are designed to ride on a track and they aren't always a party on the road.

Dekonick
01-02-2011, 09:27 PM
I believe (at least around here) most non-track bikes aren't allowed on the track. Before you have someone weld your bike, check to see what your track will let you ride there...

thenewguy11
01-03-2011, 12:29 PM
That's an interesting point I hadn't thought of. Maybe I'll reconsider going to the trouble. Thanks.

AngryScientist
01-03-2011, 12:36 PM
if you want to actually race on the track, as opposed to street fixed gear or single speed, you're going to be way better off with an alu track geometry bike than a Ti road bike with horizontal drop outs.