PDA

View Full Version : Anybody ride with allergy to bee stings?

toaster
05-12-2005, 05:25 PM
I got stung, again, today wearing bright red shorts, the bee thought I was a flower and must not have liked the way I smelled or didn't like the ride so he stung me on the thigh. Ouch!!

I'm used to these stings, name a body part and I've been stung there, but I have a natural immunity because it makes no more than a pimple.

What about you people who have severe allergic reactions, or are you not among the serious riders?

BumbleBeeDave
05-12-2005, 08:02 PM
I knew that was you! Gotcha! :p

BBDave

saab2000
05-12-2005, 09:53 PM
I have no known allergies. However, I have occasional reactions to things which make me go, "Hmmm......."

When I was living in Switzerland I was stung twice on rides. Both times I swelled up in a way which was more than a pimple. Most serious riders have been stung once or twice. I got once on my leg and once on my lower lip. It looked as though I had been in a title fight with Mike Tyson. Unfortunately I had been stung by a bee and not in a title fight with Mr. Tyson, something I would foolishly do since it would enable me to buy a set of *** wheels when I got out of the hospital.

I suspect I have something of an allergy to bee stings, though it is nothing life-threatening. I know that some people have very serious reactions to bee stings. I think that they carry "bee sting kits" with them because they could be stung virtually any time, whether riding or not.

ClutchCargo
05-12-2005, 10:26 PM
I got stung, again, today wearing bright red shorts, the bee thought I was a flower and must not have liked the way I smelled or didn't like the ride so he stung me on the thigh. Ouch!!

I'm used to these stings, name a body part and I've been stung there, but I have a natural immunity because it makes no more than a pimple.

What about you people who have severe allergic reactions, or are you not among the serious riders?

you should email Jonathan Vaughters to find out how serious riders thnk about about bee stings ! ;)

parallelfish
05-12-2005, 10:57 PM
I was once decending and collected a yellowjacket on the forehead at 35 mph. The little sucker got me right between the eyes. I was able to get down off the mountain, and drive home before my eyes swelled shut - for three days.

The following Saturday I was doing the same ride. While climbing I inhaled a yellowjacket, which stung me inside the throat. The swelling started immediatly and breathing became more and more difficult. I had no choice but to complete the ride, and drive directly to an urgent care center.

ada@prorider.or
05-12-2005, 11:16 PM
[QUOTE=toaster]I got stung, again, today wearing bright red shorts, the bee thought I was a flower and must not have liked the way I smelled or didn't like the ride so he stung me on the thigh. Ouch!!

What about you people who have severe allergic reactions, or are you not among the serious riders?[/

QUOTE]
well i can be short on this
if you are allergic for this you could die on it
if it hit's example you tongue it can swollen so you cannot breathe any more
and there are more examples to given
but you can really die from it

Dekonick
05-13-2005, 03:46 PM
Not allergic, but if you are you should always carry an epi pen with you - AND 50mg benadryl (2 tablets)

Not worth dying IMHO.

Watch for BBD - He left a nasty welt on Sandy last time he stung him... or was that from Kevin?

BZZzzzzzzzz :eek:

flydhest
05-13-2005, 03:50 PM
yep, my wife always rides with an epi-pen. I have a former colleague who didn't realize how allergic he was, rode the 5 miles back home after getting stung, and his (then) girlfriend had to drive his almost unconscious butt to the emergency room. He now also carries an epipen on every ride.

Not pretty.

FierteTi52
05-13-2005, 11:31 PM
I have bad swelling from be stings had to visit the hospital once after getting stung several times. Benidrill works wonders to reduce the swelling. Last summer during an mountain bike ride in the Adirondak mountains, a friend had to be air lifted out of the mountain and almost died. We decided to take a break during a ride, he parked his bike on top of a ground bee nest and was stung 20-25 times.The swelling had blocked off his airways and he clasped. I tried to carry him out, but it was impossible. I was stung once and was able to ride out for help. Now I carry Benidrill and an Epi pen.
Jeff

93legendti
05-14-2005, 02:33 PM
In a pinch, ingesting caffeine will also help.

Dekonick
05-14-2005, 04:37 PM
Ya- caffeine (or any stimulant) is better than nothing. What I used to carry with me was a primatine mist inhaler (its racemic epinephrine 0.3mg I believe...) and 2 25mg benadryl tablets. The inhaler works cuz you can get it without a prescription from any drug store (frankly it shouldnt even be on the market. Its dangerous if abused) unlike an epi-pen that needs a scrip. I am not allergic but figured it never hurts to be prepared.

:) Ride safe! Have fun!