PDA

View Full Version : Posting Photos Help?

Veloguy 915
01-01-2011, 11:10 AM
Im having trouble posting photos with my classifieds, it always tells me that the file size is to large, even photos taken with my Blackberry and saved to my computer are to big? I don't know how to edit a photo to make it smaller. Advice? Thanks

Ahneida Ride
01-01-2011, 11:17 AM
can't we install self re-sizing software into the Phorum ?

thegunner
01-01-2011, 11:24 AM
can't we install self re-sizing software into the Phorum ?

vBulletin has a plug-in called nCode *resizer if the admin wants to install it. i can't comment on the stability, but it exists. :)

thwart
01-01-2011, 12:07 PM
I sent this to a fellow non-techie Forumite yesterday... maybe someone else finds it helpful. I use PhotoShop Elements, but ShrinkPictures seems to work well, and you can't beat the price...

If you can load the digital photo on your computer (in itself I suppose a bit of skill), then you can use many different programs to resize it. The Serotta folks probably don't want a lot of large data photos taking up space on their computers, so have set the maximum size as no larger than 800 pixels (which could be thought of as dots, basically) either wide or tall, and the total data in the photo as no more than 145 Kilobytes (KB). If you don't have a resizing program on your computer like PhotoShop, you can use an on-line one like this: http://www.shrinkpictures.com/

ShrinkPictures is pretty easy to use: just go to the bottom of the screen and follow the directions. Pick 'custom' for step 2 and put in 800. Skip step 3. Try using 'better' in step 4 and then go back and do it over again, using 'good' if the end result says that it's bigger than 145 KB---which is the maximum. After it's been re-sized, download it to your desktop (or wherever you like).

When you do a post on the Forum, the 'manage attachment' button is down toward the bottom, below the area you type in. It will pop up a window to allow you to browse for and choose the re-sized photo to upload to Serotta... and that's it. I use a Mac so the details of the browse and choose last-step thing may be a little different if you use a PC.

And using this thing is free, which is nice.

spiderman
01-01-2011, 12:08 PM
i find that if i send them to my email address
as a medium sized photo
and then save it to my desktop or photo folder
they download to the forum without any other tampering.
i can post directly from my blackberry
but it's a little easier from the laptop
and the edit option on the blackberry isn't very reliable

dave thompson
01-01-2011, 12:10 PM
Im having trouble posting photos with my classifieds, it always tells me that the file size is to large, even photos taken with my Blackberry and saved to my computer are to big? I don't know how to edit a photo to make it smaller. Advice? Thanks
To download pics to the forum they can be no larger than 800 pixels wide or 144KB in size, whichever is larger.

I use Mihov Image Resizer, it's a very good, easy to use freeware program. Get it here: http://www.imageresizer.com/ and you'll be good to go. :banana: