PDA

View Full Version : 11 speed connector links

Tommasini53
01-01-2011, 09:28 AM
Are there any 11 speed connector links available for Campy 11 speed chains??

I prefer using the connectors over repinning a chain. I thought I'd check before spending the $$ on the Park tools required to repin an 11 speed chain. HAPPY YEAR

melonyogloo
01-01-2011, 09:36 AM
Yes, there is.

http://www.lickbike.com/productpage.aspx?PART_NUM_SUB=%270340-20%27

corky
01-01-2011, 10:04 AM
I have used 2 of these with nothing to mention......ie. they work

aoe
01-01-2011, 10:13 AM
I also use the x12 on one of my bikes but there is a bit of noise. Doesn't bother me but may bother some. Someone (oldpotatoe maybe?) told me that KMC makes a link that's quieter. Maybe pm him.

oldpotatoe
01-01-2011, 10:39 AM
Are there any 11 speed connector links available for Campy 11 speed chains??

I prefer using the connectors over repinning a chain. I thought I'd check before spending the $$ on the Park tools required to repin an 11 speed chain. HAPPY YEAR

Lickbike writes-"Superlink is the only connecting link with welded pins and plates to prevent it from pulling apart. Install only on a brand new chain and replace with the chain every 1000-2000 miles. Made in USA. Guaranteed for 2,000 miles."

balderdash...measure the chain. No need to change any chain every 1000 miles..

IRD makes them and I have them..The Craig one was noisy, stopped selling it.
This one works well, is not noisy.

peter@vecchios.com

jblande
01-01-2011, 10:54 AM
slight thread drift:

i recently pushed a pin in too far, but then was able with the campy chain tool to make the pin seat correctly after removing it. it looks like nothing is deformed.

i was thinking in should replace it with a connector link. any thoughts on whether this is necessary and/or a good idea?

thanks.

Tommasini53
01-01-2011, 12:55 PM
Yes, there is.

http://www.lickbike.com/productpage.aspx?PART_NUM_SUB=%270340-20%27

Excellent! thank you. :beer:

fourflys
01-01-2011, 01:10 PM
Excellent! thank you. :beer:

I might take a hard look at what oldpotatoe have to offer... it sounds like the one linked might not be the best... Sounds likes Peter has a bit of experience with these...

PaMtbRider
01-01-2011, 02:27 PM
KMC makes them as well and is what I am using on my new 11 speed build.

Dave
01-02-2011, 07:49 AM
http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-track-bike/Chains-Spares-Devices-KMC-11-Spd-Chainlinks-card-of-2/KMCACHAJ360

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/pp/road-track-bike/Chains/CHAI

Tommasini53
01-02-2011, 08:27 AM
Lickbike writes-"Superlink is the only connecting link with welded pins and plates to prevent it from pulling apart. Install only on a brand new chain and replace with the chain every 1000-2000 miles. Made in USA. Guaranteed for 2,000 miles."

balderdash...measure the chain. No need to change any chain every 1000 miles..

IRD makes them and I have them..The Craig one was noisy, stopped selling it.
This one works well, is not noisy.

peter@vecchios.com

Is the Craig model is sold under the name SuperLink X11.2 ???? Or is the dot 2 an improvement over the first generation.

I didn't see an IRD model at their website. Does their 10 speed Campy link work with 11's? I hope the arms race stops at 11. thanks for your help and advice. :)

Dave
01-02-2011, 08:37 AM
10 speed links are too wide, but I have used the KMC link for Campy 10 chains and got by with it. With 11 speed KMC links now available cheap, there is no reason to do this.

I would check the fit of the KMC link, just to be safe. Ideally, you should have .004-.008 inch of clearance between the inner and outer plates. KMC master links tend to be made for a loose fit, just like the rest of their chain links, so it wouldn't surprise me if the fit was a little sloppy.

fourflys
01-02-2011, 09:34 AM
I would check the fit of the KMC link, just to be safe. Ideally, you should have .004-.008 inch of clearance between the inner and outer plates. KMC master links tend to be made for a loose fit, just like the rest of their chain links, so it wouldn't surprise me if the fit was a little sloppy.

which could be why Peter was saying they were noisy.... sloppy is bad IMHO...

oldpotatoe
01-03-2011, 08:01 AM
Is the Craig model is sold under the name SuperLink X11.2 ???? Or is the dot 2 an improvement over the first generation.

I didn't see an IRD model at their website. Does their 10 speed Campy link work with 11's? I hope the arms race stops at 11. thanks for your help and advice. :)

I tried the Superlink and it was noisy on 4 out of 4 bikes..Won't try it again. The IRD one is for 11s chains ONLY and works great as tested by 3 or 4 of my customers. Do not use a 10s link on a 11s chain..

OBTW-Ribble is out of stock on KMC 11s links and their 11s chains are expensive plus take more than the time it would take to go to a bike shop and buy a Chorus 11s chain..I'm sure Schwabs or Turin in Denver has them, as I do.

Dave
01-03-2011, 08:11 AM
Chorus/ Record chains are $65/80 at Schwab.

http://schwabcycles.com/itemlist.cfm?category=66

The same items are $37/44 at Ribble. They are out of the 11 speed master links, but ordering those alone would not make sense anyway.

I encourage people to buy 1-2 year's worth of chains at a time. Buy a couple year's worth of tires too, to make the order worthwhile.

R2D2
01-03-2011, 08:15 AM
I tried the Superlink and it was noisy on 4 out of 4 bikes..Won't try it again. The IRD one is for 11s chains ONLY and works great as tested by 3 or 4 of my customers. Do not use a 10s link on a 11s chain..

OBTW-Ribble is out of stock on KMC 11s links and their 11s chains are expensive plus take more than the time it would take to go to a bike shop and buy a Chorus 11s chain..I'm sure Schwabs or Turin in Denver has them, as I do.

I tried the previous Superlink on 10 speed. Noisy as it made a terriple clicking sound. Turns out it was catching on the next cog (too wide??). It would ride up and then snap back in place. I just went back to Campagnolo permanent attacment. I really don't have much need to drop the chain off the bike.

oldpotatoe
01-03-2011, 09:29 AM
Chorus/ Record chains are $65/80 at Schwab.

http://schwabcycles.com/itemlist.cfm?category=66

The same items are $37/44 at Ribble. They are out of the 11 speed master links, but ordering those alone would not make sense anyway.

I encourage people to buy 1-2 year's worth of chains at a time. Buy a couple year's worth of tires too, to make the order worthwhile.

$36 from Ribble if you buy an additional $35 worth of stuff otherwise $45 +$7 shipping so $52..truth in advertising since you really love this place.

Plus about a week or so to get it?

Plus my daily updated online currency calculator says this calculated pounds to dollars is $55, not $52 but whoknows??

I guess $10 is worth not having to go to the ....bike shop.

Ralph
01-03-2011, 11:08 AM
RE the Noisy Super Link.....I've tried them on a Campy 10 speed chain, and they are very noisy, clunky, etc. Sounds like the chain doesn't fit cogs, that kind of noise.

So I put my Park chain checker over those links that include the Super Link, and it shows a poor fit, showing a lot more stretch over those few links, like a wore out chain. Then put checker over a few links without a Super Link connector and it shows very little stretch like a new chain. So that explains the Super Link noise to me. Maybe that is also the problem with the 11's Super Link connector.

No problem with the KMC connector.

Lovetoclimb
01-03-2011, 12:35 PM
To clear my confusion,

OldPotatoe - you mentioned the IRD link was the most successful in trials on customers' bikes? Is this the "Superlink X-11.2" that was linked in response to the OP?

To everyone - How strict should I be in following the advice to only install on a brand new chain? Have you put a connector link in a used 11s chain without incident?

(I have a Chorus 11s chain on my race bike with approx 1500 miles that passed a chain checker test with plenty more life, but it would live even longer if i could maintain it like I do my Wipperman 10s chain.)

Dave
01-03-2011, 05:42 PM
I won't hurt a thing to install a master link on a used chain.

Campy chains wear differently than most other brands. A well maintained Campy chain will elongate very little. Elongation is pin/bushing wear.

I always advise against using chain checker tools because the mix roller wear with true elongation that can should be properly measured with a precision rule.

I have also found that elongation is not a good measure of Campy chain wear. I've used a 10 speed chain for 6,000 miles and measured a fraction of the "allowable" .5% elongation. Despite that, the roller were shot and the side clearance huge. A new chain skipped on one of the cogs when installed on the cassette that had only seen that one chain. Since then, I use calipers and measure roller spacing. A new chain will measure about .200 inch. I use 3 chains in a rotation and never leave a new chain in use for longer than it takes the space to increase to .220. I toss the cassette and chains after all 3 get to about .240 spacing.

If you try a KMC chain, then measuring elongation is probably wise. Most other brands elongate to .5% or more at about the same time that the rollers are shot.

Steve in SLO
01-03-2011, 06:18 PM
Dave,
I have been told by my LBS owner that Campy chain elongation is a crummy marker of chain wear, which seems to mirror your experience. He told me that when a chain begins to shift poorly (due to side plate wear?) it is worn out. Would you agree?

Dave
01-04-2011, 07:28 AM
Elongation is a true measure of the chain's change in pitch, so it does have value. Side wear is certainly a factor, but I've never tossed a chain due to side wear. My Campy 10 chain with 6,000 miles on it had a side clearance around .013 inch, which is about twice that of a new chain and it seemed to shift fine. Unfortunately, the worn rollers made one cog incompatible with a brand new chain. That did not end the cassette' life. That worn cog would not skip with any chain that had even a few hundred miles of use on it.

Your main concern should be ending a cassette's life with new-chain skip. That's the idea behind measuring elongation and tossing a chain at .5% elongation, but as I explained, it doesn't work with a Campy chain. That's why I started using my chains in groups of three. I can guarantee that I can use all three chains for their full life and never encounter new-chain skip. You could use four chains if you want to trash them a little sooner.

If you use a brand of chain that elongates quickly, tossing chains at .5% elongation helps to prevent new-chain skip, but it also insures that you really don't get the full life from each chain. Might buy 6 chains to get the same mileage and cassette life that can be had with only 3-4.

oldpotatoe
01-04-2011, 07:41 AM
To clear my confusion,

OldPotatoe - you mentioned the IRD link was the most successful in trials on customers' bikes? Is this the "Superlink X-11.2" that was linked in response to the OP?

To everyone - How strict should I be in following the advice to only install on a brand new chain? Have you put a connector link in a used 11s chain without incident?

(I have a Chorus 11s chain on my race bike with approx 1500 miles that passed a chain checker test with plenty more life, but it would live even longer if i could maintain it like I do my Wipperman 10s chain.)

No. The Superlink X-11.2 is the Craig one, NOT the IRD one.

I install new connectors on used but non worn out chains all the time. shimano and Campagnolo because they get hooked together with a pin, I take them off to clean, reattach with a Wipperman(10s) or IRD(11s) connector.