PDA

View Full Version : How do you know a serotta steel lugged frame is by Ben

cnighbor1
12-31-2010, 05:59 PM
when Ben Serotta sold out there were frames built by others If one wants a steel lugged frame built by Ben himself how would you know
I would like a 56cm + but never can tell which is by him
Charles

David Kirk
12-31-2010, 06:07 PM
Ben built all the frames at one point and he had help from his wife Marcy. At some point the business grew and became larger and he hired help.

The early bikes, made by Ben, had serial numbers starting with Ben's "BS" initials followed by a number.

As time went on and others were brought it Ben still did bike work but he was not the sole builder any longer. When I started there in 1989 Ben would help on building when needed but spent the vast majority of the time in the office and not on the floor.

If you want a bike that was built by Ben then you need to look for a bike with a "BS XXX" serial number - or get him to follow through with his idea going back to the bench and building 10 final CSi's. I bet those would have "BS" numbers.

Dave

jlwdm
12-31-2010, 08:20 PM

... or get him to follow through with his idea going back to the bench and building 10 final CSi's.

Dave

As the owner of the last CSI I think it is a terrible idea to build 10 more.

Jeff

oliver1850
01-01-2011, 12:19 AM

Jeff

That's the wrong attitude. You should apply now to be the recipient of CSI Series II #10.

Pete Serotta
01-01-2011, 07:52 AM
That's the wrong attitude. You should apply now to be the recipient of CSI Series II #10.

Spokes has a CSI which were among the last built by Bedford for Serotta.

97CSI
01-01-2011, 08:13 AM
That's the wrong attitude. You should apply now to be the recipient of CSI Series II #10.Absolutely. And, if the one you have is a 54 or 55 I'll give you $50 for it, regardless of the color. $75 if it includes a matching steel fork. :)

Ahneida Ride
01-01-2011, 10:26 AM
Jeff

built by KB

slowgoing
01-01-2011, 02:38 PM

Just curious, but what is the serial number of the last CSI?

John H.
01-01-2011, 04:11 PM
When is the last time Ben built a bike for sale?

mpetry
01-01-2011, 04:52 PM
follow up question - where is the serial number on an old serotta ? I turned my club special upside down - there's nothing on the BB (cinelli cast BB) or in any of the other usual places - dropout, seat lug, or anyplace else I can find.

I "guestimate" the bike is '83 or 84

Mark Petry
Bainbridge Island, WA

Shoeman
01-01-2011, 07:02 PM
[QUOTE=mpetry]follow up question - where is the serial number on an old serotta ? I turned my club special upside down - there's nothing on the BB (cinelli cast BB) or in any of the other usual places - dropout, seat lug, or anyplace else I can find.

Try the fork steerer tube that is where I found mine bs256 Club Series. The bottom bracket wasn't very clear and I repainted it to preserve the the metal years ago.

SPOKE
01-02-2011, 01:18 PM
Spokes has a CSI which were among the last built by Bedford for Serotta.

Yep.....one of the last 3-4 CSi's built. Complete with the TDF lugs and actually built by Kelly Bedford.....his signature is on the left chainstay. It's a very sweet bike indeed!
I'd put a deposit on a limited run CSi if it was built completely by Ben....I'll pay for the entire frame/fork up front if I'm guaranteed the last one built!

John H.
01-02-2011, 05:50 PM
Would you really want a CSI built by a guy that barely (on never builds)? Seems to me a builder who has consistantly been building would have a better feel.
That is why I was asking when the last time Ben built a frame (for sale).

Yep.....one of the last 3-4 CSi's built. Complete with the TDF lugs and actually built by Kelly Bedford.....his signature is on the left chainstay. It's a very sweet bike indeed!
I'd put a deposit on a limited run CSi if it was built completely by Ben....I'll pay for the entire frame/fork up front if I'm guaranteed the last one built!

Mike748
01-02-2011, 05:52 PM
I'm happy with my CSi built by some guy named Kirk.

SPOKE
01-02-2011, 06:36 PM
Would you really want a CSI built by a guy that barely (on never builds)? Seems to me a builder who has consistantly been building would have a better feel.
That is why I was asking when the last time Ben built a frame (for sale).

Absolutely! Ben has a ton of experience working with lugged steel. He may be a bit rusty with the torch but the understanding is still there. It wouldn't take him long to lose the rust. It helps that i have experience with Serotta products dating back to about 1987. It also helps that I know Ben personally. He will not knowingly ship the product if it's not up to his standards.....period.
I hope this project does gain traction within Serotta. another worthy project is a 40th anniversary frame/fork.....especialy if it is a limited run type deal.

97CSI
01-02-2011, 06:46 PM
I hope this project does gain traction within Serotta. another worthy project is a 40th anniversary frame/fork.....especialy if it is a limited run type deal.And, if it is a lugged steel frameset. I'll bet they still have some of those great sloping fork crowns laying around somewhere.

John H.
01-02-2011, 06:55 PM
If you have a personal connection- that makes a difference in who builds your frame. I don't- that is why I would get a Kirk or a Bedford if I wanted a Serotta-ish bike.

Absolutely! Ben has a ton of experience working with lugged steel. He may be a bit rusty with the torch but the understanding is still there. It wouldn't take him long to lose the rust. It helps that i have experience with Serotta products dating back to about 1987. It also helps that I know Ben personally. He will not knowingly ship the product if it's not up to his standards.....period.
I hope this project does gain traction within Serotta. another worthy project is a 40th anniversary frame/fork.....especialy if it is a limited run type deal.

SPOKE
01-02-2011, 07:18 PM
If you have a personal connection- that makes a difference in who builds your frame. I don't- that is why I would get a Kirk or a Bedford if I wanted a Serotta-ish bike.

I'm fortunate enough to have Dave and Kelly as personal friends too! i have a couple bikes from each of them. they both build are excellent craftsmen!