PDA

View Full Version : To the Nove guy

spartacus
12-31-2010, 04:32 PM
In response to your 'issue'.

I read your classified post. I noted the number of your very brief posts and the time frame. I opened a thread entitled "Spammer, scammer?" because your behavior was 'off'. Another member responded to your classified and suggested you rack up a fast 20 posts by writing multiple two word posts. That was 'off' too, perhaps more 'off' than yours. You didn't have to follow that suggestion, but you chose to. It did violate the spirit of the rules and was so blatant. To quote Milton, 'long is the way and hard that out of hell leads up to light'. Your 'sentence' is not so long and not so hard - a month passes quickly. Take it on the chin and come back smiling and I'm sure you will be welcomed, even by me :rolleyes: :)

pitcrew
12-31-2010, 04:35 PM
[QUOTE=spartacus]Another member responded to your classified and suggested you rack up a fast 20 posts by writing multiple two word posts. That was 'off' too, perhaps more 'off' than yours.QUOTE]

A very tongue-in-cheek comment on my part

SoCalSteve
12-31-2010, 04:40 PM
Actually, between his arguing with me, calling me names, bashing me on the forum and violating the spirit of the classified rules, I banned him.

Let him try that "across the hall" or on any other forum...he would have been treated the same way.

If you guys think I'm wrong for making this judgement, so be it. It didn't feel right and I acted on it...

Far Rider
12-31-2010, 04:41 PM
In response to your 'issue'.

I read your classified post. I noted the number of your very brief posts and the time frame. I opened a thread entitled "Spammer, scammer?" because your behavior was 'off'. Another member responded to your classified and suggested you rack up a fast 20 posts by writing multiple two word posts. That was 'off' too, perhaps more 'off' than yours. You didn't have to follow that suggestion, but you chose to. It did violate the spirit of the rules and was so blatant. To quote Milton, 'long is the way and hard that out of hell leads up to light'. Your 'sentence' is not so long and not so hard - a month passes quickly. Take it on the chin and come back smiling and I'm sure you will be welcomed, even by me :rolleyes: :)
New forum police? Not your place. Let the mods deal with it.

spartacus
12-31-2010, 04:54 PM
New forum police? Not your place. Let the mods deal with it.

No, if I see something that I feel is wrong I'm going to comment on it - that's life, live with it. It has nothing to do with mods or police. :p

Happy New Year.

rugbysecondrow
12-31-2010, 05:03 PM
Bruce seemed to have addressed this issue in a different way thinking it was okay.

Also, this being a Serotta forum, why would a guy not be able to list a Serotta here? It would seem that a guy with one post listing Serotta would be just as appropriate as a guy with 3000 listing some trek, IF or any other bike. Of all places, this should be the place he is able to list that bike.

I understand the spirit of the forum, but is the spirit of the rule meant to prevent a Serotta from being listed on this forum. Seems we drove somebody away for no reason.

dave thompson
12-31-2010, 05:13 PM
I thought that Bruce handled it nicely. Too bad some folks (not mods) have to get their shorts in a bunch when it's really a non-issue.

I too would think that a Serotta forum would certainly allow a Serotta to be sold on it. Where else would they be more welcome?

SoCalSteve
12-31-2010, 05:14 PM
Bruce seemed to have addressed this issue in a different way thinking it was okay.

Also, this being a Serotta forum, why would a guy not be able to list a Serotta here? It would seem that a guy with one post listing Serotta would be just as appropriate as a guy with 3000 listing some trek, IF or any other bike.

I understand the spirit of the forum, but is the spirit of the rule meant to prevent a Serotta from being listed on this forum. Seems we drove somebody away for no reason.

He can list any bike of his choosing here ( after he posts CONSTRUCTIVELY 20 times in other sections). By no means did he do this.

What he did do was become a forum member 2 days ago, rack up 24 posts by using 2 words in each post and then he posted a bike for sale on eBay with a link to that eBay auction.

After I deleted that thread, sent him a nice pm asking him to join in the community of the forum and not just rack up postings to circumvent the rules, he called me names and bashed me publicly on the forum.

If you feel this is driving someone away for no reason, that's your opinion...it was my opinion that all he was doing was looking for more publicity to sell his bike.

Enough said, yes?

rugbysecondrow
12-31-2010, 05:16 PM
Nope, seems Bruce had a different opinion on the rules. Just a dundinental disagreement then. Seem to be an overreaction to something that had already been dealt with. All was very preventable and without cause.

He can list any bike of his choosing here ( after he posts CONSTRUCTIVELY 20 times in other sections). By no means did he do this.

What he did do was become a forum member 2 days ago, rack up 24 posts by using 2 words in each post and then he posted a bike for sale on eBay with a link to that eBay auction.

After I deleted that thread, sent him a nice pm asking him to join in the community of the forum and not just rack up postings to circumvent the rules, he called me names and bashed me publicly on the forum.

If you feel this is driving someone away for no reason, that's your opinion...it was my opinion that all he was doing was looking for more publicity to sell his bike.

Enough said, yes?

SoCalSteve
12-31-2010, 05:18 PM
I thought that Bruce handled it nicely. Too bad some folks (not mods) have to get their shorts in a bunch when it's really a non-issue.

I too would think that a Serotta forum would certainly allow a Serotta to be sold on it. Where else would they be more welcome?

He was more than welcome to sell any bike ( Serotta included) in the classified section....if he had followed the rules. He did not follow the simple rules and that is where the issues came to play...

Maybe we should all just move on, enjoy our evening and have a great start to the new year!

rugbysecondrow
12-31-2010, 05:20 PM
He was more than welcome to sell any bike ( Serotta included) in the classified section....if he had followed the rules. He did not follow the simple rules and that is where the issues came to play...

Maybe we should all just move on, enjoy our evening and have a great start to the new year!
Not sure why his threads had to be deleted either?

VTCaraco
12-31-2010, 05:50 PM

Clearly more to the story given the exchange that you endured.

What's the play on the old saying...
can't please all the people all the time

I, for one, enjoy the forum sufficiently to keep coming back.
Thanks for the effort made (by you and your fellow moderators) to protect this place.
Happy New Year!!

Louis
12-31-2010, 05:53 PM
This is what happens when you have different moderators interpreting the rules according to their whims. They have different personalities and that shows up in how they apply the power that has been delegated to them. We all know who tends to do what - some have a light hand, others a very heavy hand.

Given that the guy was trying to sell a Serotta it seems to me that a light hand would have been more appropriate. Showing flexibility in the application of a given set of rules is a positive trait. Blind enforcement, a "These are the rules and I will enforce them no matter what" is a not a positive trait.

thwart
12-31-2010, 07:05 PM
I dunno...

If I posted a classified ad that obviously broke at least 2 of the 'read this first' rules in the sticky at the top of that Forum section, I wouldn't get too p*ssed off if one of the moderators pulled it, especially with an explanation.

Working the system by quickly doing 20 one or two word posts, and then expecting everything to be OK... certainly can't see myself doing that.

Mods have a very tough job. If one of them acts, perhaps the others should just avoid that person/issue, rather than make a public somewhat different opinion or decision. Or if they feel strongly enough about it, communicate that with the other mod. Privately.

And if some mod is 'acting' too often to enforce stuff, Pete (?) or one of the other Serotta folks in charge need to make that call. Personally I don't see that happening here.

Anyway, enjoy the evening and drive safe.

Ken Robb
12-31-2010, 07:06 PM
As I remember it he posted his bike for sale with a link to eBay as his first post. He was referred by one of us to the rule banning links to eBay and he removed the link. The rule about no classifieds was also pointed out to him with a tongue-in-cheek suggestion that he make 20 short comments on bikes in the custom or Serotta Gallery to qualify for classified posting. He did that, I thought, in good faith.
I don't think many folks read all the terms of use on the internet so I'm never surprised when a new Forumite goofs with a post in the classifieds. I never saw his post bashing Steve. I'm not sure that he knew the difference between members and moderators so he may have felt like he was getting conflicting advice from equally valid sources.
I'm afraid it was an unfortunate situation all around.

Happy New Year to All.