PDA

View Full Version : Serotta Carbon Stays

spartacus
12-31-2010, 02:01 PM
Are there any technical reasons that would prevent Serotta from manufacturing its carbon stays to accommodate larger tires, for as an example a Paris Roubaix frameset?

Charles M
12-31-2010, 02:39 PM
You can make damn near anything.

But is there a large enough market to make the tooling pay off...

spartacus
12-31-2010, 02:50 PM
You can make damn near anything.

But is there a large enough market to make the tooling pay off...

I know that Serotta makes an F3 fork for 30c tires. I wonder how much of an investment is required to make the matching stays? I have no idea about the work involved. It would just be super to have a carbon or Ottrott frameset available for fatter tires. Perhaps in time. :beer:

mpetry
12-31-2010, 02:58 PM
I thought the same thing. I'd consider a new Ottrott (replacing my current one) if they'd build it capable of taking fenders. I know it's sacriledge, but if you want to ride year around in the PacNW, fenders are a must. But as Pez says, the cost of the tooling against the likely market is the limiting factor.

Mark Petry
Bainbridge Island, WA

spartacus
12-31-2010, 03:33 PM
I thought the same thing. I'd consider a new Ottrott (replacing my current one) if they'd build it capable of taking fenders. I know it's sacriledge, but if you want to ride year around in the PacNW, fenders are a must. But as Pez says, the cost of the tooling against the likely market is the limiting factor.

Mark Petry
Bainbridge Island, WA

It's nice to hear from someone else who would also like to see this option available. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a market there already, but with people going elsewhere to get it. Fenders and a 25 or no fenders and a 30 sounds great to me. Perhaps Serotta's 2011 resolution should be to ramp up carbon production for the strada bianca, dirt road, and cobbles freaks.

103 days to Paris Roubaix 2011...and counting.

fourflys
12-31-2010, 04:03 PM
I think ALL bikes (except maybe TT bikes) should be able to accommodate a true 28 or at least 25's with fenders... but, you know people are afraid to take their bike off the perfect pavement and still think a 23 is faster than a 25 on normal, everyday pavement (not a velodrome)... manufactures make what's in demand...

Give Carl Strong a call and ask for Carl's personal blend...

spartacus
12-31-2010, 04:30 PM
I think ALL bikes (except maybe TT bikes) should be able to accommodate a true 28 or at least 25's with fenders... but, you know people are afraid to take their bike off the perfect pavement and still think a 23 is faster than a 25 on normal, everyday pavement (not a velodrome)... manufactures make what's in demand...

Give Carl Strong a call and ask for Carl's personal blend...

True. It's funny because I went into my LBS and they sell Specialized ( a lot of Specialized) and there was an S-Works Paris Roubaix on display, which allows for wider tires, and it was build up from the factory with 23mm tires. I just don't get that at all.

jlwdm
12-31-2010, 04:42 PM
My new Spectrum Ti in Seattle is designed for 35s and/or fenders. I am there so little that I initially set it up with 23s because I am using the Hed Ardennes. This should make for a wider footprint.

The HEDs will accommodate lots of tire widths.

Jeff

Smiley
12-31-2010, 05:59 PM
Why re-invent the wheel, people make these bikes already

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=71057

and DBRK makes a Touresmo in carbon as an adaptation of a Parlee frame

spartacus
01-01-2011, 05:09 AM
Why re-invent the wheel, people make these bikes already

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=71057

and DBRK makes a Touresmo in carbon as an adaptation of a Parlee frame

I want another Serotta, not a Parlee.

jlwdm
01-01-2011, 05:23 AM
Yes, you were clear on your OP. the plugs are getting beyond shameless.

Jeff

Pete Serotta
01-01-2011, 07:46 AM
Steve and the team at Serotta can make it happen if someone wants to order one. PETE :)

I know that Serotta makes an F3 fork for 30c tires. I wonder how much of an investment is required to make the matching stays? I have no idea about the work involved. It would just be super to have a carbon or Ottrott frameset available for fatter tires. Perhaps in time. :beer:

fourflys
01-01-2011, 10:36 AM
My new Spectrum Ti in Seattle is designed for 35s and/or fenders. I am there so little that I initially set it up with 23s because I am using the Hed Ardennes. This should make for a wider footprint.

The HEDs will accommodate lots of tire widths.

Jeff

are you using a carbon fork? if so, which one?

fourflys
01-01-2011, 10:37 AM
Yes, you were clear on your OP. the plugs are getting beyond shameless.

Jeff

Huh? :confused:

rugbysecondrow
01-01-2011, 10:47 AM
Are there any technical reasons that would prevent Serotta from manufacturing its carbon stays to accommodate larger tires, for as an example a Paris Roubaix frameset?

I doubt there would be a technical one (they could make a bike however they want), more aptly a marketing one. Have you asked to see if they would make you a custom of what you desire? That would seem to be the first step. If they don't, then I would take Smiley's advice and check out those who are building many of these bikes now.

As for a stock option, I don't think people who want carbon would also be looking for a fat tired bike.

As an aside, I am not sure what the benefit of carbon stays would be on a fat tired bike? Do the fat tires eliminate the need for carbon stays?

Smiley
01-01-2011, 11:13 AM
Spartacus, If I really badly wanted Serotta to build your dream bike, I would take my check book to your dealer and tell him what you want and have him convey this strong dersire via DEPOSIT and see if MONEY TALKS or if Serotta really wants to invest in a Stay that would accomodate fenders and rack mounts. I know they should since they will have a canti mounted Cross fork soon. But who knows ask and see what they say.

jlwdm
01-01-2011, 11:36 AM
Huh? :confused:

Sent you a PM but your storage is full.

Jeff

fourflys
01-01-2011, 11:41 AM
Sent you a PM but your storage is full.

Jeff

just cleaned it out...

jlwdm
01-01-2011, 11:41 AM
are you using a carbon fork? if so, which one?

Sorry, but my fork is no longer available. Alpha Q CS25. Tom Kellogg snapped up the last two he could find a year ago.

Isn't Serotta going to have a fork that will work soon?

Jeff

fourflys
01-01-2011, 11:44 AM
As an aside, I am not sure what the benefit of carbon stays would be on a fat tired bike? Do the fat tires eliminate the need for carbon stays?

that's a great point Rugby... you would think the higher volume tires would more than make up for it... I'm not sure how much just carbon stays do anyway to be honest...

fourflys
01-01-2011, 11:48 AM
Sorry, but my fork is no longer available. Alpha Q CS25. Tom Kellogg snapped up the last two he could find a year ago.

Isn't Serotta going to have a fork that will work soon?

Jeff

yeah, it sucks Alpha went out of business... of course, I gotta wonder if you're building a bike that has fenders and room for larger tires if a well designed steel fork wouldn't be a better option at not much of a weight penalty...

mpetry
01-01-2011, 11:52 AM
And of course you'd then have to run those cool Carbon Fiber Fenders from Gilles Berthoud. Here I have them mounted on my early 80s Serotta Club Special.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1348/1460343153_10555c5e08_z.jpg

Mark Petry
Bainbridge Island, WA

spartacus
01-01-2011, 12:25 PM
Spartacus, If I really badly wanted Serotta to build your dream bike, I would take my check book to your dealer and tell him what you want and have him convey this strong dersire via DEPOSIT and see if MONEY TALKS or if Serotta really wants to invest in a Stay that would accomodate fenders and rack mounts. I know they should since they will have a canti mounted Cross fork soon. But who knows ask and see what they say.

I think I hear you Smiley. I don't think it will be a deposit proposition though, but I'll let you know - I expect it to be full payment up front for this kind of custom custom job (I'm assuming 2C). I wonder what the price will be for an Ottrott or Supercomp with this stay arrangement (I'm in for a bigger tire but not necessarily the full monty of rack (for carbon stays?) and fender (a maybe) mounts?

I follow the Peter White view of frames that only take skinny tires - "I'm so sorry for you". :beer: