PDA

View Full Version : Tubular Cyclocross Tire Suggestions?

Veloguy 915
12-31-2010, 12:21 PM
Im planning to purchase tubular cyclocross tires to run on carbon wheels, there are many choices to consider, Im looking for feedback on what has worked for others, I would like spend around $100 or less per tire. Thanks!

Dash Riprock
12-31-2010, 01:34 PM
There is only one way to go IMO, Dugast Rhinos, or Typhoons, but might be a bit more than $100 a tyre

To quote Tim Johnson: "they are like riding on a pile of boobs on a pile of bunnies"
Nuf said!

Veloguy 915
12-31-2010, 02:11 PM
-Dash-

Thanks, for your insight, I am looking at Dugast, any experience with Challenger?

pitcrew
12-31-2010, 03:32 PM
-Dash-

Thanks, for your insight, I am looking at Dugast, any experience with Challenger?

Challenge tires are a very good (less expensive) alternative to Dugast

rockdude
12-31-2010, 10:33 PM
If you are going to spend the money on Dugust then spend a little extra and go with the FMB. Better made, last longer and worth every penny.

I think you need to clarify what conditions you want the tire to excel in. I have six different tubular pairs depending on the conditions. Where do you ride and what are the average conditions? Will you have a second pair of wheels and if so, what are they? How long would you want them to last?

rustychain
12-31-2010, 10:50 PM
+1 rockdude nailed it. There is no perfect tire for everything. East coast mud is different then you will find in Washington state, thats different then the mud in Utah. FMB are also a top choice with several options to consider. Cyclocross magazine did a good tire review last year but I forget the issue number.

djg
01-01-2011, 08:20 AM
I've had some of the FMBs with Challenge treads -- really nice tires, supple and strong.

As others have said, Challenge gives you a good tire at a significantly lower price; and tread choice is a matter of the conditions, as well as your individual preference. I think both the Fango and the Grifo treads are decent contenders for all-around tires -- although maybe not what you want for serious slop on the one hand or a very hard dry course on the other. One option is to get one of these tires for your tubular wheel set and then find various clincher options -- file tread, etc. -- to cover special conditions.

BTW, has anybody tried the new Vittoria tires? I bought some of the file tread (plus) clinchers for riding to work, etc., and they seem much better than the older ones. Given that their newer 320 tpi road are extremely good, I'm curious to know about their new tubular cross tires.

Veloguy 915
01-01-2011, 10:05 AM
I will be racing in NY, NJ, and PA so I expect to encounter dry to sloppy conditions, I was planning to just get an intermediate tread to use on dry and wet days and then possibly a pair just for really muddy races.

rockdude
01-01-2011, 11:38 AM
My thoughts are;

For real mud- Rhinos, nothing is as good.

dry & grass fast conditions- FMB sprints, these are my go to tubie. I ride them in all but mud conditions, but wet grass and very lose conditions are a weakness. For lose and wet grass and thin mud the FMB Gripo XL are a good selection.

all around- The best is typhoon but very close behind is the grifos. On a limited budget go with the Grifos, you will get a few more miles out of them. For real durability go with the Tufos elites or primus tubulars, they will last for years.

I like 34cm on all tires except the Rhinos.

Any of the tubies listed above are good.