PDA

View Full Version : 2011 resolutions...

Ti Designs
12-30-2010, 06:30 PM
My resolution is to spend far less time with what isn't real to me. I dropped Facebook, it didn't seem real. Lots of people posting random thoughts and saying they like all softs of things, but when 30 people say they're going to do something and only 4 do, I have to question how real it is. As for this forum, I'll be active in the threads about riding (that time when your ass is on the saddle) but other than the odd poke I'll stay away from the ones about bikes (I don't really like bikes - been in the bike business too long). More to the point, I plan to ride with as many forum members as I can, as often as I can...

jvp
12-30-2010, 06:36 PM

Ti Designs
12-30-2010, 06:39 PM

That's FaceBook talk for "I don't give a rat's ass".

Bob Ross
12-30-2010, 06:47 PM
New Year's resolutions aren't real.

KeithS
12-30-2010, 07:10 PM
That's FaceBook talk for "I don't give a rat's ass".

No that's unlike. I was just thinking about the Facebook thing today, why do I like this forum better than FB? There are lots of reasons, suffice it to say I am glad that there is still such active participation here. That and I learn a lot more here.

I'm trying to live healthier. I am 35lbs into a 65lb weight loss goal. Not really a new years resolution but several healthier lifestyle change.

Other than that I'd like to be a better dad, be a better husband, citizen, human being..

On another note Happy Birthday Spiderman!

forrestw
12-30-2010, 07:29 PM
Because the only truth in cycling is riding, I resolve to kick this GD respiratory congestion and get back to that truth. It has been a hard couple of weeks of falsity. (On the other hand I did one-hang a .11c at the rock gym a full grade harder than anything I've priorly managed to pull 2 weeks which puts some modicum of truth and a lot of satisfaction into my otherwise false life)

jvp
12-30-2010, 07:44 PM
my "like" was just a joke - I never "like" anything I see posted on FB. I use facebook sort of like a mass email/update tool, to see whats going on with my close friends. Those I have friended otherwise I either ignore or just process what they post. I've come close to "unfriending" some several times, usually because I get tired of seeing huffington post links or baby pics and updates. I come here for the real deal cycling scene, something not found on FB! And a one hang on an 11c is great! If your gym's grades are properly sandbagged, you really did the equivalent of a real rock 12a or harder!

Wilkinson4
12-30-2010, 07:52 PM
No that's unlike. I was just thinking about the Facebook thing today, why do I like this forum better than FB?

Because on a forum, there is a real exchange of ideas... FB is a pretty self-important way of communicating IMO. Sally Field moments, or as Silvio would say during the Seinfeld episode (Reverse Peephole):

"Silvio: It's all about, me, me, me. Please, look at me! I am so pretty! Love me! Want me!"

I don't make resolutions but after my second helping of bread pudding today while it is a very cold and snowy evening I vow to get on my bike more:) Groan...

mIKE

fiamme red
12-30-2010, 08:20 PM
My 2011 resolution: not to join Facebook. :banana:

Secosera
12-30-2010, 08:21 PM
+1 on the facebook sentiments. I didn't even have one until April, and I only created one to see the pictures taken at the MS150.

My resolutions are pretty insubstantial since I've already lost the weight I wanted to lose (290 down to 150) but I do have a few:

I want to start racing and do well at it. The first part of that one is easy :p

Get a travel bike or turn one of my current bikes into one ( I might get the Fuso S&S'd, not sure yet)

Get more people on the bike!

That's pretty much it.

yarg
12-30-2010, 10:39 PM
I show my age very little, one way I do is my strong dislike for facebook. Agreed it seems to me a waste of time.

On the opposite side my side passion of late has been exploring dirt roads in my area. I can string together +80 miles of ~3/4's dirt roads. Thinking of putting a route together and see who might be interested. Rennselaer, Columbia counties in NY and a little into Mass. Maybe you and others here might consider in late Spring of 11.

TMB
12-31-2010, 12:10 AM
I am going to unplug ( apart from the Serotta forum ).

Time to get back to normal, back to ground. Turn the gadgets off, eat right, read books and ride my bike.

Simple, and not.

that guy
12-31-2010, 12:17 AM
Don't make resolutions. Set goals.

onekgguy
12-31-2010, 12:24 AM
I find Facebook to be a nice way to connect with people I've lost touch with. Maybe I'm a bit of a voyeur but I enjoy seeing what others are interested in. Sure, I have some on my 'friend' list who post everything under the sun but I've got them on 'hide' so I don't need to read it.

I also find it a nice way to stay in touch with family. Somebody will post something and several of us (6 siblings) may chime in and offer our thoughts.

Too much of anything can be bad and Facebook is no different.

Kevin g

Ray
12-31-2010, 02:21 AM
Facebook, like most of the internet, is just an electronic piece of freaking paper. You can use it as you like, or not. Its not the devil, just because some people use it like it is. Sort of like the rest of the WWW, sort of like ANY forum at times. I have a FB account. I use it rarely, I've put several people on my ignore list because they kept sending out crap on a daily basis, etc. But every now and then I check in and am usually glad I did. To see an old friend's kids growing up, to see some old college pictures that an old friend unearthed and posted, just to say hi (and sometimes not much more) to people I had lost touch with, to see a link to an article I might have missed (and may still choose to read, or not). My kids use it more extensively, but I don't think its ruined them - they just grew up with it and know how to use it to stay in touch with people more on a day to day basis than I have an interest in.

Come on Ti, its kind of funny to post a New Years resolution thread about how you're just gonna take part in threads about RIDING while launching a bit of an attack on another internet site that everyone is free to visit as much or little as they want to! I guess its OK - its not 2011 quite yet...

-Ray

Louis
12-31-2010, 02:30 AM
I dropped Facebook

What's that?

soulspinner
12-31-2010, 06:29 AM
2011 is new bike for me. Wife agrees :banana: The Strong has seen a lotta use/abuse(only one accident with a car) and is ready for a backup role...............

Dekonick
12-31-2010, 06:46 AM
My resolution is to find a way to enjoy the gym for the next month :crap: Seriously folks! If you aren't going to stick with it, why take all of the parking spots? :crap:

:SIGH: I do not like the month of January.

Resolution? Nah... I will just stick with my objectives.

Steve in SLO
12-31-2010, 07:55 AM
Don't make resolutions. Set goals.
This is good.
Resolutions are made to be broken, while goals are made to be met.

Volant
12-31-2010, 08:20 AM
What's that?

+1

mike p
12-31-2010, 08:28 AM
+2 never been on it and see no reason to.

Mike

+1

93legendti
12-31-2010, 08:40 AM
I find Facebook to be a nice way to connect with people I've lost touch with. Maybe I'm a bit of a voyeur but I enjoy seeing what others are interested in. Sure, I have some on my 'friend' list who post everything under the sun but I've got them on 'hide' so I don't need to read it.

I also find it a nice way to stay in touch with family. Somebody will post something and several of us (6 siblings) may chime in and offer our thoughts.

Too much of anything can be bad and Facebook is no different.

Kevin g
I think it is fantastic for what it is. It's a tool. It's not for everyone. I've come in contact with great people all over the world on FB. You could even run/expand/publicize your business on it - many do.
The price can't be beat.

Lifelover
12-31-2010, 08:55 AM

Come on Ti, its kind of funny to post a New Years resolution thread about how you're just gonna take part in threads about RIDING while launching a bit of an attack on another internet site that everyone is free to visit as much or little as they want to! I guess its OK - its not 2011 quite yet...

-Ray

Clearly he is not taking his resolution too seriously.

I resolve to stop making resolutions :crap:

BumbleBeeDave
12-31-2010, 09:03 AM

-Ray

He succeeded admirably with his resolution last year--which was to push everybody's buttons on a regular basis! :D

BBD

Frankwurst
12-31-2010, 09:03 AM
I resolve to wakeup. Everyday. :beer:

roydyates
12-31-2010, 09:08 AM
This is good.
Resolutions are made to be broken, while goals are made to be met.

I had a weird goal for 2010: Ride 1000 miles on 7 different bikes.

I set the goal because I wanted to justify (to my wife of course) the clutter of bikes in the garage. I achieved the goal, but just barely:

Serotta CTI: 1607
Trek 5200: 1105
Bridgestone RB-1 fixed gear: 1071
Colnago Dream: 1070
Rivendell AllRounder: 1002
Simoncini: 1013
Serotta CSI cross: 1001

So now I'm looking for some new goals for 2011. Since I'm unlikely to ride more than 8000 miles next year, I'm thinking maybe some type of "N squared index" would be fun. Something like

M-Index: M Rides of at least M miles

V-Index: V Rides of at least V thousand vertical feet

I just checked my numbers for 2010:

V-Index=7 (7 rides with 7000+ vertical feet climbing)

M-Index=53 (53 rides with 53+ miles)

I suspect that V=10 and M=60 will be fun 2011 goals for me.

Maybe for some hardcore hilly double century climbers, V=20 is doable?
I would guess that M=100 might be possible for pro riders? Is M=100 possible for a recreational rider?

Happy New Year,
...Roy

stephenmarklay
12-31-2010, 02:42 PM
Mine is pretty easy. Just have more fun this year.

SoCalSteve
12-31-2010, 02:52 PM
I resolve to wakeup. Everyday. :beer:

Post of the day, week, month, year and decade!

spartacus
12-31-2010, 02:55 PM
I dropped Facebook too - online social networking is vapid.

I'm cutting out whole areas of the web from my world and getting back to real life. I may start writing letters to friends again with a pen, paper, envelope, and a stamp.

Live simply.

Happy New Year.

Ti Designs
12-31-2010, 03:47 PM

It's related. People post rides on Facebook and lots of people click on the "will attend" button, but never do. It's more of a problem with human nature, but Facebook is the tool used. My point was that people talk more mileage than they ride - I know how that insults people here so I didn't want to come right out and say it. To be honest, I think my plan to ride with more forum members is also going to fail...

So Ray, will I see you out on the roads some time this year?

Ray
12-31-2010, 06:15 PM
It's related. People post rides on Facebook and lots of people click on the "will attend" button, but never do. It's more of a problem with human nature, but Facebook is the tool used. My point was that people talk more mileage than they ride - I know how that insults people here so I didn't want to come right out and say it. To be honest, I think my plan to ride with more forum members is also going to fail...

I was unaware Facebook was used that way - sounds like an ok way for a club or group to organize rides. People will sometimes flake no matter what technology they use to say they're gonna be there.

You probably won't see me out on the roads this year. You're in the Boston area, I'm in the Philly area. You ride a lot, even by the standards of when I used to ride a lot, and I don't ride that much at all any more. I don't keep track any more but I seriously doubt I've ridden more than 2-3,000 miles in any of the last few years, down from 5-6 K when I was riding my version of a lot. And you ride fast and I ride relatively slow and am not bothered by that. So, the odds aren't good! But don't worry, I won't be talking about all of the massive amount of riding I'm doing if I'm not - and I'm pretty sure I won't be. Its cool - the sport is big enough for all kinds of riders...

Actually had some shoulder problems developing last autumn that never kept me off the bike, but hurt like hell when I was getting out of the saddle. I figured it would get better with some time off the bike this winter, but it seems to be getting worse, so I'm guessing its age related arthritis kind of stuff. Which shouldn't keep me from riding in the spring, but might well limit my mileage. We'll see.

But hey, Happy New Year, resolutions or not!

-Ray

Elefantino
12-31-2010, 07:08 PM
Don't use Facebook
Don't use Twitter
Don't go over my data charges on my new Android phone
Have no unplanned surgeries
Find more comfy cycling shoes
Enjoy the empty nest, more
And lastly, the same resolution/goal as last year. Make it to this time next year.

Dekonick
12-31-2010, 07:37 PM

Some of us underestimate our miles... only cheating yourself...

If you make it to Maryland holler and I would love to ride with you... just don't expect 30mph pace lines... I prefer a casual ride to enjoy the outdoors.

Would love to ride with you anytime! That goes for anyone on the forum!

We are a diverse group here... but everyone loves to bike!

Lifecycle
12-31-2010, 07:52 PM
Resolutions or Goals ?

I have been taught from youth that you set goals and resolutions always seemed to be things people would just say at New Years and pretty much that would be as far as it got. Unlike a goal which I saw more people strive for ..... This was probably for me a learned thought/action through my parents and sports I played and then I carried it further into life.

Some of my Goals in the past have been.....
-- weight loss - lost 47lbs
-- Stop drinking - Did that
-- eat healthier - Do that
-- exercise more - do that on a regular basis
-- get back into Biking - did that (regular basis)

These are Goals not resolutions IMO....

My goal this year is to figure out why I need 5 bikes
# 2 MTB's
# 3 Road
As I can only ride one at a time
and yet I can come up with a reason for the need of all five
maybe it's a sickness ????? IDK....