PDA

View Full Version : Bike Computer Advice

FixedNotBroken
12-30-2010, 05:08 PM
Looking into a new bike computer..I have some POS one right now that's falling apart and works off and on. I am looking for something with all of the main functions plus cadence. Something not terribly expensive but reliable. I have been looking at the CatEye Strata Double Wireless and it looks to be a good computer. Also, I am not looking to get a Garmin or anything with GPS..personally I don't need that. Also when it comes to mounting, I would prefer something to mount on the stem.

crownjewelwl
12-30-2010, 05:21 PM
this goes right up there with "what kind of stem should i get?"

guess the k-force seatpost didnt sell??

Fixed
12-30-2010, 05:25 PM
do you really need one ?
cheers imho

PaMtbRider
12-30-2010, 05:33 PM
do you really need one ?
cheers imho
Do you really need a bike? :D

Fixed
12-30-2010, 05:34 PM
can't ride a computer
cheers imho

stephenmarklay
12-30-2010, 05:49 PM
I would like to recommend the vetta wireless but they have an ongoing battery consumption issue that renders them a pita. I can only help exclude :)

Don49
12-30-2010, 06:53 PM
I've never been disappointed with any Cateye.

Sheldon4209
12-30-2010, 08:00 PM
My wife has a Cateye Strada Double Wireless on the back of our tandem and likes it. It is simple and easy to use. She has had several computers and likes the Strada the best. It does use batteries faster than many wired computers.

harlond
12-30-2010, 08:08 PM
The Garmin Edge 500 is expensive, no doubt, and I understand that you don't need the GPS functions. But it's a pretty nice computer. It's wireless and it works. It comes with two mounts (and you can get extras pretty cheaply) and transfers from bike to bike with ease. It mounts on the stem easily. It has a rechargeable battery, which is nice. I don't really use the GPS myself, but it's nice to be able to see your route when you download your data. It's far and away the best and easiest to use bike computer I've had. Again, I understand that its price means it does not fit your parameters, but I wanted to point out that it's a really nice computer even if you never use the GPS feature while riding.

stephenmarklay
12-30-2010, 08:59 PM
Maybe you can get one on a super duper discount :) This is what I use and it is very nice.

The Garmin Edge 500 is expensive, no doubt, and I understand that you don't need the GPS functions. But it's a pretty nice computer. It's wireless and it works. It comes with two mounts (and you can get extras pretty cheaply) and transfers from bike to bike with ease. It mounts on the stem easily. It has a rechargeable battery, which is nice. I don't really use the GPS myself, but it's nice to be able to see your route when you download your data. It's far and away the best and easiest to use bike computer I've had. Again, I understand that its price means it does not fit your parameters, but I wanted to point out that it's a really nice computer even if you never use the GPS feature while riding.

fjaws
12-30-2010, 09:24 PM
Wireless Flight-Deck works well, has all the standard functions, shows you what gear combination you're in and gives you cadence based on gear/speed with no additional sensor.

Doesn't mount ON the stem but handlebar mount is offset so it actually sits just in front of the stem faceplate.

FixedNotBroken
12-31-2010, 03:39 AM
Maybe you can get one on a super duper discount :) This is what I use and it is very nice.

Where's a good place that has discounts on Garmin stuff?

daylate$short
12-31-2010, 08:09 AM
My wife has a Bontrager Node computer that is really nice. The unit is very compact, but with a huge display even I can read w/o my bifocals. It will also connect with any ANT+ Powermeter or HR device. It was easy to "pair" with the sensors and has been totally reliable .

I've got a Garmin 305 and the GPS functions are great, but it is not so great at recording mileage *for me*. I've had it crap out in the middle of a ride, stop recording, or I'll forget it at home because I have it plugged in the recharger. Also you can see the speed, but if you don't press the start button it won't record mileage. YMMV.

godfrey1112000
12-31-2010, 08:10 AM
Never a problem, replaced front speed pod on the front fork from just 6 years of the elements, totally wireless system
Replace the HR strap and sensor after 6 years

battery like on the computer about 2+ years
speed and candence battery 2-3 years
Heart Rate monitor about 1.5years

Battery on the watch can be changed by someone with the fine tools and good eye sight, I spend $10 and the jeweler does it for me I supply the $3 battery

When I have sent it in for service polar turns it around in about a week,
the online service request is very nice,

software for downloading data is great if you into stats, I keep it simple
speed average, miles and climbing
Software and computer can be set up for multiple bikes

data storage up to 99 hours, can be extended when certain features are turned off, cadance, heart rate ect.

one fault, is the measuring of the climbing on organized rides,
i.e. Death Valley Double is list at 10k feet of climbing, my polar comes in at about 20% less,

no problem with that, I would rather climb 8k than 10k

mounted the watch on the handle bar right side of stem, it comes off easily to down load,

complete set up is about $250-300

about 22 different models on Ebay

steampunk
12-31-2010, 09:22 AM

ditto on the edge 500. yes it is pricey but as it has so many features then it is pretty much a buy once and be done proposition. had mine almost a year now and do not hesitate recommending it.

it is easy to become a data junkie (in a good way) with the GPS function.

Bruce K
12-31-2010, 09:26 AM
I have found Sigmas to be reliable as all get out.

Accurate cadence, miles, etc.

I have replaced a couple when I staretd using PowerTap equipped wheels but until then, all my bikes had them.

BK

zray67
12-31-2010, 11:13 PM
I have found Sigmas to be reliable as all get out.

Accurate cadence, miles, etc.

I have replaced a couple when I staretd using PowerTap equipped wheels but until then, all my bikes had them.

BK

+1

FixedNotBroken
12-31-2010, 11:38 PM
The Garmin 305 with cadence/HR sounds like a good package.

russ46
01-01-2011, 07:43 PM
I've had a Strada Double Wireless since the 1st of March. It worked fine until cold weather set in. Easy to use once it's setup. I thought setup was a pain. Their instructions are very difficult to follow IMO (this is a complaint about Cateye computers in general as I've had 3). Maybe they make sense to someone younger, but not to me.

Regarding cold weather, based on my experience since winter has set in, I would not recommend this computer to anyone who rides in temperatures below 50. In cold weather, it starts eating batteries & if you have to change out the computer battery, you've got redo the setup. When the temperature is below 40 the display slows way down and frequently stops registering anything at all. I'm in the process of trying out a Garmin 500 and am hoping for better results.

FixedNotBroken
01-02-2011, 04:48 PM
What's the difference between the Garmin Edge 500 and the Garmin 500 neutral? I am looking at the 500 Edge plus cadence/HR.

Ralph
01-02-2011, 05:16 PM
Cateye's work....what else is there to say? I use a Mini wireless (no cadence), and batteries seem to last a long time.

lurpy
01-02-2011, 05:37 PM
What's the difference between the Garmin Edge 500 and the Garmin 500 neutral? I am looking at the 500 Edge plus cadence/HR.

I believe the only difference is color. The neutral is mostly black and the original 500 is silver and blue.

russ46
01-02-2011, 05:57 PM

The price is the same, so as lurpy says, it's probably the base model in a different color.

Regarding the cadence option, you might want to poke around & see how the battery life is on the speed/cadence option as the battery is the same one Cat Eye uses on their double wireless.

I used a borrowed Edge 500 today. Worked great. Setup was logical, displays were much more legible then the Cat Eye Micro or Strada series, rechargeable battery - I think I'm sold but will give it a bit more time.

steampunk
01-02-2011, 10:42 PM
after 90+ hours of use my speed and cadence sensor is working fine, i don't think battery life on the sensor is an issue.

if you're talking about the head unit, you can ride all day and you will not run down a fully charged unit. charge it anywhere you find a USB port.

yes the only difference in the "original" and "neutral" Edge 500 is the color. original is blue & white, neutral is black and white. there's another one in team garmin colors.

FixedNotBroken
01-03-2011, 01:54 AM
after 90+ hours of use my speed and cadence sensor is working fine, i don't think battery life on the sensor is an issue.

if you're talking about the head unit, you can ride all day and you will not run down a fully charged unit. charge it anywhere you find a USB port.

yes the only difference in the "original" and "neutral" Edge 500 is the color. original is blue & white, neutral is black and white. there's another one in team garmin colors.

I like the black and white one, it would match better with the bike. On eBay I saw one with the cadence/HR package for around $273-$300 which seems decent. Anyone know of any better prices?

endosch2
01-03-2011, 09:02 AM

The only difference is color.

To anyone with a Garmin: THE MOST DEFINITIVE RESOURCE for Garmin use that I have found is the Blog www.dcrainmaker.com.

The guy provides the most comprehensive how-tos of any blog out there as well as product reviews that are excellent. It is a very helpful site.

I have an Edge 500 that I use for indoor and outdoor cycling and a Forerunner 305 that I use for running, open water swimming, nordic skiing, and hiking. I started with the 305 - I think you can buy them on sale now really cheap (like $100-$150), buy the accessories seperately on amazon you will save.

For the past year I have been using the open source Sporttracks software which allows you to sync every workout with a usb cable. It takes seconds and allows you to look at any kind of data you would ever want to look at. It will seem complicated at first but it takes very little time to do, and the information you can get is tremendous.

For example, if you want to know how many miles per day, week, month, year you rode with your heart rate at 160+ it will tell you in seconds. I primarily look at my overall volume of exercise per week and month and try to plan my calendar to exceed previous periods. I also track equipment, more for curiousity.

Personally I am a data junkie and a believer in the "you cant manage what you dont measure" philosophy so my exercise files are something that help me stay focused and plan an ever increasing amount of exercise time. I know everyone is different as to how they approach this.

zray67
01-03-2011, 09:38 AM
The only difference is color.

To anyone with a Garmin: THE MOST DEFINITIVE RESOURCE for Garmin use that I have found is the Blog www.dcrainmaker.com.

The guy provides the most comprehensive how-tos of any blog out there as well as product reviews that are excellent. It is a very helpful site.

I have an Edge 500 that I use for indoor and outdoor cycling and a Forerunner 305 that I use for running, open water swimming, nordic skiing, and hiking. I started with the 305 - I think you can buy them on sale now really cheap (like $100-$150), buy the accessories seperately on amazon you will save.

For the past year I have been using the open source Sporttracks software which allows you to sync every workout with a usb cable. It takes seconds and allows you to look at any kind of data you would ever want to look at. It will seem complicated at first but it takes very little time to do, and the information you can get is tremendous.

For example, if you want to know how many miles per day, week, month, year you rode with your heart rate at 160+ it will tell you in seconds. I primarily look at my overall volume of exercise per week and month and try to plan my calendar to exceed previous periods. I also track equipment, more for curiousity.

Personally I am a data junkie and a believer in the "you cant manage what you dont measure" philosophy so my exercise files are something that help me stay focused and plan an ever increasing amount of exercise time. I know everyone is different as to how they approach this.

Thank you for your post. I found the www.dcrainmaker.com site to be an excellent source of information and a wonderful blog. I haven't got to the Sporttracks software yet but I will. Again many thanks :banana: :banana: :banana:

Ti Designs
01-03-2011, 11:30 AM
I have two computers on my fixed gear right now. One is an Avocet 20 which has been broken for about two decades. There's a piece of paper in the display that says "you are here" with an arrow pointing back. It's very accurate, ultra reliable and the battery seems to last forever. The other one is a slightly newer broken Avocet computer which had the words "you are cold" written in the display but someone crossed out the c. I would say that one is just as accurate.

When putting electronics on bikes there's one thing you must accept - broken is a standard function.