PDA

View Full Version : Campy sale..

Dave
12-30-2010, 02:14 PM
I wonder if Excel sports is dropping Campy, or just clearing out all the old stuff before offering new. Everything Campy is on closeout sale at good prices. There's only one groupo listed on the website.

I would not be surprised if they drop Campy. The normal prices are so high that sales have probably dropped drastically.

http://www.excelsports.com/main.asp?page=7&major=1&minor=20

http://www.excelsports.com/main.asp?page=7&major=1&minor=13

leooooo
12-30-2010, 02:16 PM
Thanks for heads up
:beer:

AngryScientist
12-30-2010, 02:36 PM
dave - do you know if the centaur levers they have are the old multiple-shift style, or the new powershift, with only one click at a time?

John M
12-30-2010, 02:39 PM
Competitive Cyclist had big price drops on Campy stuff before Christmas. My guess is that it is blowing out the old before the new stuff comes in. Shimano 7800 was the same way a couple of years back.

Dave
12-30-2010, 02:46 PM
The Centaur levers shouldn't be the 2011 models, but be sure that they aren't 2009. Best to call and ask.

rugbysecondrow
12-30-2010, 03:06 PM
Where do the Athena cranks fall in line-up? Are they comparable to Centaur? The 11spd cranks will work with 10spd system, right?

Thanks,

Paul

Dave
12-30-2010, 03:09 PM
Athena cranks have better chainrings than Centaur and yes, the 11 speed chainrings will work with 10 speed.

vqdriver
12-30-2010, 03:24 PM
just got off the phone with them now and the nice lady took a pair of the centaurs out of the box and counted off 5 thumb shifts and 3 paddle shifts. is that ultrashift? powershift? i don't know what you call it, but that's what they're selling.

it's so tempting to buy something on sale. even if you don't "need" it.

Dave
12-30-2010, 04:06 PM
That's ultrashift, but you still need to read the label on the box. Early 2009 models are the ones to avoid, since they have the very light finger lever clicks that few people like. Late in '09 the index disc was changed to have the same distinct click as 11 speed.

BengeBoy
12-30-2010, 05:57 PM
Where do the Athena cranks fall in line-up? Are they comparable to Centaur? The 11spd cranks will work with 10spd system, right?

Thanks,

Paul

I put 2011 Athena cranks on a vintage steel bike last year. They are one of the few "modern" cranks with a vintage look. The price shown on Excel is a steal.

jlwdm
12-30-2010, 08:01 PM
That's ultrashift, but you still need to read the label on the box. Early 2009 models are the ones to avoid, since they have the very light finger lever clicks that few people like. Late in '09 the index disc was changed to have the same distinct click as 11 speed.

Dave:

Although the upgrade kit is no longer sold can't you buy the individual parts to make the clicks more distinct?

Any way I ride 2007 Record most of the time and I was in AZ last weekend for a couple of rides on my CSI with early 2009 Centaur and it does not bother me in the least.

Jeff

Dave
12-30-2010, 09:34 PM
Campy no longer sells any of the individual repair part for the internals of ultrashift or the new powershift levers. The only way to upgrade is with a major assembly that costs about $100. I'm just warning folks so they're not disappointed with a purchase. Some people hate those light clicks, and that's why it was quickly revised.

vqdriver
12-30-2010, 10:58 PM

So what exactly are we supposed to look at on the box? Is there a model number to avoid? Build date?

97CSI
12-31-2010, 07:24 AM
I wonder if Excel sports is dropping Campy, or just clearing out all the old stuff before offering new. Everything Campy is on closeout sale at good prices. There's only one groupo listed on the website.

I would not be surprised if they drop Campy. The normal prices are so high that sales have probably dropped drastically.Then, using your logic, they will also be dropping all the other brands listed. Wonder what they will sell in the future?

oldpotatoe
12-31-2010, 08:20 AM

I would not be surprised if they drop Campy. The normal prices are so high that sales have probably dropped drastically.

http://www.excelsports.com/main.asp?page=7&major=1&minor=20

http://www.excelsports.com/main.asp?page=7&major=1&minor=13

Here in the retail trenches, all 2010 Campagnolo is being discounted deeply by DISTRIBUTORS since 2011 changed so much.

Prices are getting very close to the 'resellers' in the UK. I predict that in 2011 the Campagnolo prices will be closer still. US prices coming down and Euro prices from some of these places going up.

Takes time, Campagnolo, like shimano did and sram will have to do, will control their pricing more closely.

Dave
12-31-2010, 09:26 AM
Then, using your logic, they will also be dropping all the other brands listed. Wonder what they will sell in the future?

I was just wondering, since they aren't listing any 2011 groupos and they have been available for a couple of months. It's more common to list both the old and the new, so you can see what a bargain you're getting on the old. It's also odd to have no Athena, Chorus, Record or SR groups, old or new.