PDA

View Full Version : Placed an order with Joe Young today!

Scott Shire
12-29-2010, 05:48 PM
I swear, I haven't felt so nervous calling someone since asking for dates to the Sophomore Semi-Formal. Reverence will do that, I suppose! Of course, my anxiety was unfounded; Joe was beyond easy to talk to and seemed so genuinely grateful for my business. I didn't even have to buy him a corsage.

His experience (http://www.youngwheels.com/information.html) speaks for itself, but Ive certainly dealt with MUCH less skilled craftsmen without his winning personality and willingness to listen before he advises.

I sent him a pair of Dura Ace High Flange track hubs to be laced to some Velocity Aeroheads (I needed something with 36 holes + a non-machined sidewall) with, in all likelihood, revolution spokes. Ideally, the rims will be finished in ELVS (http://www.velocityusa.com/default.asp?contentID=665) , but if that's not available good old black will work great.

In any case, the process has started out beautifully. I will be sure to update when the wheels arrive.

StellaBlue
12-29-2010, 05:53 PM
He builds wheels. he didn't reinvent them. Did you think he was gonna scold you. You are the customer. He appreciates your business as much as people appreciate his wheel building skills.

Congrats on the new wheels. "The waiting is the hardest part"

rugbysecondrow
12-29-2010, 06:02 PM
I have been through the scolding process with a wheel builder, Joe Young is a breath of fresh air.

Sounds like fun. Enjoy.

Scott Shire
12-29-2010, 07:04 PM
He builds wheels. he didn't reinvent them. Did you think he was gonna scold you. You are the customer. He appreciates your business as much as people appreciate his wheel building skills.

I didn't think he was gonna scold me, but awe & respect for the man's palmares made me a little nervous. I have no interest in naming names, but two other well-known 'builders seemed less than interested in listening to me, my wants/needs, and my questions. I simply thought that Joe's appreciation for my business was more than cursory, and that at least in terms of "soft skills"/cust service, he is deserving of the praise that gets heaped upon him.

John M
12-29-2010, 07:18 PM
Sounds like Joe is a great businessman. In defense of some of the others, sometimes customers come up with strange requests and act as if they know more than the expert (not the OP of this thread, but just speaking generally here), and get all mad when the builder won't build what they want, silly as it may be. The builders don't want to deal with some 280+ lb guy that wants low spoke count wheels on light rims/spokes and who will complain to the builder if they don't hold up.

Show us a pic of the built wheels when you get them--DA track hubs sound interesting!

FixedNotBroken
12-29-2010, 07:22 PM
I am awaiting a set of swiss 240's from him right now! I can't wait to ride them! Pleasure to deal with him and when I need a new wheelset, I will be going to him. I sat on the phone with him for an hour and talked cycling and he asked how I ride, what I prefer out of a wheelset, what kind of racing I do, everything..very thorough and he showed an interest in what I had to say/do. Highly recommended. Also, check his credentials..

StellaBlue
12-29-2010, 07:56 PM
I can't believe these to remain unnamed builders stay in business. Why have a set built if the builder isn't going to build them to your needs (your weight, what they will be used for, etc etc) The point of have something made custom, be it a frame or wheels or whatever is the craftsman making the item to fit the customers needs.

Post um up with a little report when you get them..

itspeedmoore
12-29-2010, 08:56 PM
Joe Young has built three sets of wheels for me and they are the best. Very strong, very cool. I will continue to go back to him.

godfrey1112000
12-29-2010, 09:32 PM
He is my hero,

1. He listened to me
2. He built the wheels for me, bomb proof still after 30k+ miles
3. He has stood by them and worked with the minor problem I had
4. He is always a good source too talk to and is free with his time

If you need a good scolding please call Peter White in New Hampshire,

http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/

read the entire web site before calling at your own risk, just reading it should answer the question why you should not do business this this guy, he may build good stuff and know his business but he is very light on the social skills and wants money up front before questions

left a bad taste in my mouth just talking to him

Happy New Year

Chief
12-29-2010, 09:35 PM
Can't go wrong with Joe. He built me a set of wheels 7 years ago and they are still as true as the day I brought them home. I did have to replace the sealed bearings in the front DT hub after only 45,000 miles. :rolleyes:

FixedNotBroken
12-29-2010, 09:37 PM
Can't go wrong with Joe. He built me a set of wheels 7 years ago and they are still as true as the day I brought them home. I did have to replace the sealed bearings in the front DT hub after only 45,000 miles. :rolleyes:

Only 45k miles.. :o

rugbysecondrow
12-29-2010, 09:42 PM
Ditto experience

read the entire web site before calling at your own risk, just reading it should answer the question why you should not do business this this guy, he may build good stuff and know his business but he is very light on the social skills and wants money up front before questions

Happy New Year

dekindy
12-29-2010, 09:45 PM
He did not invent the wheel for crying out loud!

I went to an LBS wheel building class, we just observed, and the owner built up a very nice wheel in short order. I know it takes some skill but the LBS owner made it look easy and he does not even build wheels as his sole occupation. He is also a master mechanic and runs the business. Each wheel also comes with lifetime truing if ever needed and is supported locally.

It is good to have guys like Joe Young if you do not have a local source, but there are a large number of local wheelbuilders in my area that do a great job even though it is not their primary occupation.

AngryScientist
12-29-2010, 10:10 PM
good to hear there is another good businessman out there!

i wont name drop either (unless someone wants to know via PM), but i recently bought a set of handbuilts from a local builder, and he was great, i picked them up at his house and we talked cycling for a bit. great guy. makes you feel good when you give business to someone who appreciates it and does solid work.

next on my chopping block will be a set of fixed wheels, can't wait to see how yours turn out, i've been getting more and more into riding fixed, and good wheels make that all the better.

did we mention that we want pics ASAP!! :D

bigbill
12-29-2010, 10:22 PM
Commuter wheels came from Joe. PW hubs, supercomp spokes, and Velocity Deep V. Never even think about them, just like a commuter wheel should be.

Kingfisher
12-30-2010, 05:24 AM
Joe built me up a pair last year....best wheels I've ever had, still as true as the day I got them and I am a wheel beater...210 lbs. my next wheels i will go to joe again.

EDS
12-30-2010, 08:32 AM

I am impressed the rims have lasted that long. What kind of rim is it?

harlond
12-30-2010, 08:37 AM

I went to an LBS wheel building class, we just observed, and the owner built up a very nice wheel in short order. I know it takes some skill but the LBS owner made it look easy and he does not even build wheels as his sole occupation. He is also a master mechanic and runs the business. Each wheel also comes with lifetime truing if ever needed and is supported locally.

It is good to have guys like Joe Young if you do not have a local source, but there are a large number of local wheelbuilders in my area that do a great job even though it is not their primary occupation.Same here. Owner of my LBS built my DT Swiss 240 wheelset three years ago and I've had no problems with them. Also had him built my 20-inch Sturmey Archer/Velocity wheels. OTOH, I had a big-reputation wheel builder, who is no longer in business, build my SS wheel and I've had multiple problems with that wheel (in fairness, probably because I'm fat--but I'm fat when I'm riding the DTs, too).

oldpotatoe
12-30-2010, 09:27 AM

It is good to have guys like Joe Young if you do not have a local source, but there are a large number of local wheelbuilders in my area that do a great job even though it is not their primary occupation.

It's great to have a source to build your wheels but like mentioned, lots of good wheelbuilders still out there, some even in bike shops!

I find it interesting that he doesn't list any prices...just 'call'.

Not hard but it can be difficult. What gauls me is online/MO places that will build anything for anybody..just follow the online prompts, put your low spoke count, light rim, thin spokes request in, pay and there they are, whether appropriate or not. THEN they slam 'wheelbuilders' because these were a poor design for the job....and sing the praises of wheelsouttaboxes...

Chief
12-30-2010, 12:01 PM
I am impressed the rims have lasted that long. What kind of rim is it?

DT RR1.1. I did have cracking issues with the rear rim until DT changed to double ended eyelets which eliminated the cracking problem. Front DT rim has single ended eyelets with no cracking issues.

EDS
12-30-2010, 01:39 PM
DT RR1.1. I did have cracking issues with the rear rim until DT changed to double ended eyelets which eliminated the cracking problem. Front DT rim has single ended eyelets with no cracking issues.

I could see a front rim lasting that long. My Velomax Circuit front wheel has to be close to 30,000 by now and still going strong.

gearguywb
12-30-2010, 02:11 PM
I have 2 sets of identical wheels from Joe. His "signature" DT 240, 1.1 rims. I have had them 2+ years now and have had great service from them. It is due to Joe that I have sworn off "out of the box" wheels.

Peter P.
12-30-2010, 02:35 PM

The front rim wouldn't have cracking issues even with single eyelets because it was the torque loads on the rear wheel which put the rim over its limits.

Bob Ross
12-30-2010, 06:44 PM

While I have not (yet, at least) bought wheels from Peter White, I've done business with him on two or three occasions, and every time he was civil, personable, and professional. I recommended Peter to a friend who did buy wheels from Peter, and he's been recommending those wheels to everyone who'll listen so presumably his experience was similar to mine.

That being said, I bought some wheels from Joe Young, and I'll do it again in a heartbeat. Great product, great service, and great experience all around.

GONE4ARIDE
12-30-2010, 07:21 PM
Joe Young is top notch. I had him build me a set of Mavic Reflex tubulars on Dura Ace hubs about 11 years ago. I raced the wheels hard on the road for a few years and then converted them to a set of cross race wheels and they are still as true as they day I received them from Joe...and I have never had touch them with a spoke wrench!!!

oldpotatoe
12-31-2010, 08:25 AM

Just for info. DT 1.1 were always double or single eyelets for 32 hole. They didn't 'change' anything.

Now they are '465'(double eyelet) and '415(single eyelet). 28H 1.1 were always single eyelet. No 28 double eyelet in 1.1 or 465.

When the 1.1 single eyelet was introduced, 'most' decent wheelbuilders knew not to over tension these or any other single eyelet rim. I have built many 1.1 singles w/o problem.

henrypretz
12-31-2010, 08:42 AM
Count me as another Joe Young fan.
He said numerous times in our conversations "if you ever have any trouble with the wheels, let me know and I'll take care of it"

BumbleBeeDave
12-31-2010, 08:59 AM
. . . I'm not sure I'd want to deal with him . . . :confused: :D

BBD

Lifelover
12-31-2010, 09:03 AM
By all means avoid wheel builders that refer to their customers as "fans".

Wheels builds are like frame builds, many, many, people (or machines) can do a great job. Dealing with someone like Joe just increases your confidence level.

My all time favorites are Circuits! I'm 250lb+ and they are tough as nails.