PDA

View Full Version : another silly question re campy

vqdriver
12-29-2010, 01:01 PM
what is the "D" when referring to the brakes?
as in campagnolo chorus D skeleton.

R2D2
12-29-2010, 01:04 PM
Just a wild guess.
But maybe D is for dual pivot?

leooooo
12-29-2010, 01:08 PM
Na.
the rear is single pivot.

curious too.

oliver1850
12-29-2010, 01:08 PM
I think D is for differential. Dual pivot in front, single in rear.

thwart
12-29-2010, 01:09 PM
D, I think, is for Differential braking... front is dual pivot, rear is single pivot to allow more front compared to rear proportion of braking (don't lock up that rear wheel!)... and better modulation, too, IIRC.

leooooo
12-29-2010, 01:10 PM
^ that sounds good!

I'll use that as operating theory until someone proves otherwise.

Ken Robb
12-29-2010, 02:04 PM
Or you can go back to the good old days of Nuovo Record for the ultimate in modulation. :)

97CSI
12-29-2010, 02:45 PM
Or you can go back to the good old days of Nuovo Record for the ultimate in modulation. :)Good modulation as long as you were in no hurry to get stopped. :) Those are some weak brakes, just like about everything sold back then. Bicycle group functionality and effectiveness have come a long way in the past 20-odd years. So much so that they have to resort to selling the latest 'bling' rather than effective & useful upgrades these days.

Ken Robb
12-29-2010, 03:24 PM
Good modulation as long as you were in no hurry to get stopped. :) Those are some weak brakes, just like about everything sold back then. Bicycle group functionality and effectiveness have come a long way in the past 20-odd years. So much so that they have to resort to selling the latest 'bling' rather than effective & useful upgrades these days.

All kidding aside I have a bike w/Nuovo Record Gruppo and the braking from the hoods is fine using one finger. I replaced the original pads/holders with Kool-Stop reds in Jagwire holders. The NR levers have less mechanical advantage that newer ones so braking from the hoods using pinky and ring-finger requires a lot of work.